35 whelen

I use Vihtavuori 140, 150 and 540 and my gun seem to shoot well with most any bullet, powder and load

beretzs":311j05h4 said:
I think if I can get it past the wife, I will get another 35, just not sure which one yet. Scotty

358 Norma Mag. :wink:

JD338

358 Norma! Now there is a cartridge I have just missed twice now. Actually, I passed on one rifle after I held it in my hand because I met the man who built it. He said he had never been able to get it to shoot and that gave me caution. Now, it was being sold for the third time. I decided to pass on it. I started to buy a Browning Eurobolt in 7 mm RM which I was going to use as a donor rifle to build a 358 Norma on. Missed picking it up by about two minutes. I think I would like it built on that action, so I am keeping my eyes open. Again, gotta' love those 35s.

That could be a possibility. Not sure though. I already have a 338 Win Mag, so I may go with somesting like the 356 Win if I could ever find one of them. That 358 is pretty awesome. If I didn't already have the 338WM, I would no doubt have a 358 Norma. That is a classic elk/bear killer. Scotty

Scotty,

The 356 is a great calibre. I have had three, and still have two, in Model 94s. I gave one to a hunting partner at Christmas. It shoots 3/4" groups using 250 grain Kodiak bullets. I have taken a lot of game with the 356 (mule deer, black bear, grizzly and elk). Really, for much of the hunting out to 250 yards, it would be the only rifle that I needed.

I guess time will tell. I keep my eye for one of the 356's on the different auction sites. I kinda like the lever action 35 cals for upstate NY Hunting and would really like to try my 358 against elk in Idaho. Seems like witha good 225gr Partition it would be good out to 300 yards, and that is about as far as I want to shoot them anyhow. Usually they end up being in around 30-100. If I can get the 225 to 2400+FPS, it should be pretty easy to hit out to 300 without too much guess work. Scotty

The 358, because the magazine permits spitzer bullets, is certainly capable of 300 yard shots. 2400 fps is assuredly achievable with the 225 Partition, which can make for a potent load. I love both of my 358s, one a Hawkeye and the other a BLR. Each shoots better than it should.

What loads (powders) do you use to get up over the 2400FPS mark. I tried using Varget, but couldn't get enough powder in the case. H322 looks decent as does H4895. I would like to load the 225gr PT once I get home and start shooting and getting used to the rifle. Thanks for any info you can provide.

I did really well with my 35 Whelen, 225gr TSX's and 60gr of R15. Shoots about an inch and works pretty well. I will probably switch up to a 225gr AccuBond or a 250gr PT later on. Not sure, I get pretty load happy when I start on these projects. Scotty

A maximum charge of 47.5 grains of W748 with F210 primers and Nosler 225 Partitions. Slightly exceeding this is a maximum charge of 43.5 grains of 10X and 225 grain Sierra Game Kings. These are in a 22 inch barrel. The BLR, with its 20 inch barrel, give slightly lower velocities. Generally speaking, I am getting some find velocities without evidence of pressure using Benchmark, 10X and TAC. Other powders give me velocities consistently between 2270 and 2350. For all practical purposes, the ballistics on these other powders would be identical.

Here is a recovered 225 gr AB and 250 gr PT from my 35 Whelen.
35WHELEN225GRAB.jpg

http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8377

I think RL 15 is the best powder for the 35 Whelen.

JD338

HEY! sober up!

If there is any need for a caliber between 30.06 and 375 H&H get the 338 winmag. I'm happy with my 35 Whelen but use a 338 in dreams, you figure.

beretzs":3kqevv7z said:
Seems like witha good 225gr Partition it would be good out to 300 yards, and that is about as far as I want to shoot them anyhow. Usually they end up being in around 30-100. If I can get the 225 to 2400+FPS, it should be pretty easy to hit out to 300 without too much guess work. Scotty

358win Brass
Federal 210M
46.5grs H4895
Nosler 225gr Partition
2430fps

20 1/2" Shilen barreled rem 700.
And no muzzle flash seen at dusk.

2500fps would be may high bar just to keep it above 1900fps at 300 yards with some margin left. I too could not get enough Varget in the 358 case, but H4895 workd great and TAC should be tried it might be to the 358win as reloader 15 is for the whelen.

Man, that is great. I keep hearing about TAC, but never saw any at my local dealers. I suppose they might be able to order it, or I could hit the PX and see if they could get it for me. The PX doesn't stock much, but they have pretty decent prices if you are willing to wait. I can't wait to start loading and shoot the 358. I think it is going to be a deadly pack rifle and might be just enough for high country pack hunts. Doesn't weight a ton and will handle Muleys and Elk with authority. Scotty

The thread has drifted a bit from the 35 Whelen, but since the 358 is the same calibre, I will tell you that I am having good experience with TAC as far as velocities go. I cannot honestly say that accuracy is better than with other powders, but it is certainly no worse. Don't overlook Benchrest, 10X and X-Terminator as possibilities, if they are available. My data indicates that H335, BL-C(2) and W748 are still viable powders, and the velocities with these powders is not much less than that obtained with some of the newer, faster powders.

Thanks for the heads up on TAC, hopefully that is to the 358 what R15 is to the 35 Whelen. It would be hard to choose between the 35 Whelen and the 338 Win Mag. They both have alot of great merits as a big bore animal slayer. It is kind of cool to see there has been an upswing in the amount of rifles chambered for both of those old rounds lately. You can't really go wrong with either of them for most hunting conditions. Scotty

Scotty,

The gains in velocity are marginal or academic for the most part, in my studies so far. Of course, it will depend on what degree of accuracy is produced in a given rifle as to whether TAC or the other faster powders is preferable. Still, it is comforting to have choices when working up a load. I just reviewed some data with a 200 grain Sierra and TAC that were very promising. That would make an exceptional deer load with the 200 grain bullet stepping out at velocities usually associated with a 308 and 165 grain bullets. Similarly, the 35 Whelen performs very well with RL15, but that does not mean that we don't have a number of other choices for the round. That is what makes the art/sport of handloading so interesting.

Semper Fi

Totally agree, but I like to try to narrow my odds up a little, with the amount of time I am gone per year (as I am sure everyone else is pretty busy also) to the amount of time I am home and able to sit behind the bench, I like to try and get as close as I can and find one load that works very well and will work for the majority of my hunting. With you guys and your load development it assists me a lot in picking a few components that will probably work well for me. Scotty

Back