350 rem

The 350 RM is an excellent cartridge. My Remington 673 is chambered in this cartridge; it has accounted for elk, black bear and deer. It is a great cartridge that is the ballistic twin of the 35 Whelen. By all means, add the 350 RM to your arsenal.

John, as an 35 cal guy myself, I love the 35 Whelen. With the 350RM being the twin to the Whelen, I couldn't help but think how nice a custom built one would be. Something along the lines of a Featherweight or similar being chambered in one...

SJB358":1focmg6u said:
John, as an 35 cal guy myself, I love the 35 Whelen. With the 350RM being the twin to the Whelen, I couldn't help but think how nice a custom built one would be. Something along the lines of a Featherweight or similar being chambered in one...
thats what i was thinking a brush gun that can reach out a little way ,some thing like 20-22 barrel.stainless with a dark coating or camo over it :twisted:

john480":3q2sbto5 said:
SJB358":3q2sbto5 said:
thats what i was thinking a brush gun that can reach out a little way ,some thing like 20-22 barrel.stainless with a dark coating or camo over it :twisted:

Yeah, it would be a very slick rifle with even a 22 inch tube. It'll have some reach as well. Nothing shabby about the 350 with 225's.. Kinda like a 30-06 on steroids in my book.

to bad the trophy grade doesnt come in 350 rem.who make some nice custom in that stly?

If you want a custom gun find a good Remington 700 in a SAUM or a Ruger 77 RCM and go from there those can usually be had cheap. Or go with DrMikes suggestion and find a good 673, they seem to be good shooters.

John,

The 350 Rem Mag is a good one. I have a 35 Whelen and even with a 22" barrel, it shoots great at 300 yds.

I have a M673 Guide rifle and it is a dream to carry.

JD338

Excellent choice! Hits like a hammer. If I were to build one I would do it on a "longer" action though. That way i can use any bullet i want.

I have a Ruger M77MKII in 350 Rem Mag and its quite accurate.

I like the look of the 673 but it only has a 2.8" magazine so no heavy bullets or ABs, the Ruger has a 3.0" magazine.

Adding a 35 Caliber rifle to most anyones gun cabinet is in our view,is one of the very best ways for leaving the regular "deer rifle class" and to step up into the"Big Game class" and move up to the 250gr bullet weight arena. With either the 35 Whelen/350RM you will entered a level of authority unknown by lesser calibers, and without getting into a 9-10 lb gun that will usually get left behind because it was toooo heavy, and toooo long, to sack around all day. I have never owned a 350RM but it is very popular here in Northern Maine amongst the Bear Guide crowd. I am sure you will be very impressed with it, on any game over 500lbs, and find it takes down larger wounded game with a different level of authority, than rifles shooting a hundred grains less bullet weight at slightly higher velocitys. The difference between us shooting at the ass end of a wounded 1000 lb Bull Moose, running away from us after a hunter has wounded it, with a factory 30/06 and 180gr bullets at 2700fps; or smacking them in the same place, with a 35 caliber bullet that weighes 250gr and is traveling 2600fps is something you will pick up on real fast. It is the difference between "knockin them right back down", Or starting to go look for them. I will be the first to say you dont need a big gun to shoot a Moose, but you do need to hit them correctly, or your probably going to have a problem. A 30/06 works fine with 180s and [better with 220s when you only have an angled shots] but is not the same outfit as the 250gr bullet going 2600fps. I shoot meat moose with my 243 and it kills them as well as a 460 #2 Nitro on headshots, on moose standing there chewing there cuds, giving me all the time in the world to shoot them exactly where I need to. However that is not likely to be the case in real world hunting, and you often need the extra punch of the "next level" to "getter done" :shock:
Get your 350 in what ever rifle you feel the best about; and you will never look back . Good Luck in which ever one you pick and good hunting.

Wincheringen,

You are correct that the magazine is restrictive (as is the case on almost all Remingtons); the longer box of the Ruger confers a decided advantage for handloaders. I have not noticed too much difficulty in loading heavier bullets, however. In actual fact, I generally shoot the 200 grain TSX which has plenty of punch for bear, moose and elk when launched at higher velocities. When the 200 grain AB finally wends its way northward, I'm pretty certain it will get more than a cursory look for my 350 RM.

Wincheringen":30o3z19m said:
I have a Ruger M77MKII in 350 Rem Mag and its quite accurate.

I like the look of the 673 but it only has a 2.8" magazine so no heavy bullets or ABs, the Ruger has a 3.0" magazine.

And that makes a heck of a difference! Believe me.

john480":1jiwn2ui said:
i just might look into m48 pro in 35 whelen??

Now that's a damn good idea. 8) A .35 Whelen shooting the Barnes 225 gr. TSX over a stiff load of RL15 and you'll be set for Bullwinkle and beyond. I feel that with my Whelen so loaded, I wouldn't even worry about taking on one of the great bears. Those thing penetrate like nothing I've ever used before. 8)
Paul B.

Back