357 Magnum revolver problems

I wasn't familiar with that revolver so I had to do some research. Odd number of groves makes using a micrometer on the muzzle difficult and not have a round barrel further complicates measurements. Slug the barrel.

"Check groove diameter"
Not that easy with a Smith & Wesson. Unless there' been a chage I haven't heard about, they're still using barrels with 5 lands and grooves. Best you can do is a semi-educated guess without having a special mirometer. A standard micrometer won't work. My best guess it will be .358". If you know a machinist that might have the proper "mike" to measure that type slug from the barrel all you can get is an estimate. FWIW, I usually run bullets I cast for the .38 Spl. and .357 Mag at .359" and they've worked just fine.
Frankly matching the cylinder mouths vs the bore is more important. If the barrel has a groove diameter of .358" and the cylinder at the mouth is say 356" or 357" the bullet will be squeezed down to the smaller size and will most likely badly lead the barrel.

An easy way of doing this???
Other than driving a soft lead fishing sinker or soft slightly over sized lead ball or bullet from the muzzle and then measuring the bullet ot whatever you used I see no really simple answer.
Paul B.

Back