.358 Win (and others) question

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
I read a lot of praise about this cartridge, I have a 35 Whelen that I really like so I am a bit familiar with the bullet. My question is does anyone "Ackley-ize" the .358 Win and if so are the results worth the effort?

I am interested in a medium bore short action build. I'm over hard kicking magnums...have some, they sit in the safe. I just don't need it. Considering .338 Fed, .358 Win, and .375 Raptor.

I'm really new to the 358 Win but I like what I see so far with it, tons of experience with the 35 Whelen though. My opinion of Ackley improving the 358 Win would be gains in velocity would be very minimal since the shoulder is small and the case doesn't have much taper to begin with.

Of the 3 rounds you mention the 338 Federal would be neat and a good choice, the 358 would be the most versatile if that matters to you being able to use pistol bullets, cast bullets and regular soft points. With the 375 Raptor I'm not sure there are many bullets for you to choose that are soft enough to work at slower speeds.

A real sleeper round would be the 8x57. It's not a short action round like you mentioned but would compare nicely with the 338 Federal and 358 Win but be able to shoot bullets from 125-250 gr.

Don't forget about the 9.3x57 either... Now that sucker is a sleeper too! 232-250's at around 2400 from that little sucker. Not a ton of bullets out there for it, but it is a cool cartridge!

I have both the 358 Win and 338 Federal in leveraction rifles and they are both great!

Going to build a lefthanded custom on a Rem 700 SA and am leaning towards the 338 Federal for its higher BC and SD numbers in same weight bullets.

Back