358 Win

Peakebrook

Beginner
Mar 16, 2005
With many companies dropping the 358 Win cartridge from their line, it would be a perfect opportunity for Nosler to fill the niche.

I have three 358 Win rifles and have loaded it since 1966. I never buy factory ammo so I would have to loose mine and even then I would use the back up rifle. The 358 Win is a good round and makes more sense now that we have decent recoil pads.

Otherwise it's as dead as a dodo and if I were a ammo mfg. it would be just about the last round that I would consider. Heck Winchesters last act with the 358 was to recall the rifles!

Hey Savage99, whats the biggest critter you've taken with the 358 and howw did it react? That goes for you too, Peakebrook.

I shot a whitetail buck with one of my 99's in .358 about seven years ago that dressed 190 lbs. It was moving fast with a doe in 9" of snow at about 60 yds when I got one shot into its ribs with the 180 Speer starting at 2700 fps.

The bullet blew some blood and stuff out of the deer but it did not fall and ran about 40 yds where I found it dead minutes later. There was a small exit hole. This bullet may have it a twig as there were some branches there.

This is one of the few deer that I have hit with a 358 that did not drop on the spot.

Great story, its good to here from other 358 fans were way too few and far between. I haven't killed any deer with mine, only hogs. I use noslers exclusively in my encore. I can't even find any factory ammo to take hunting on a plane. Do you know where I can find any? Not too sure as how to get homeloads through the airport.

Last I looked MidwayUSA had .358 ammo for sale, they also have the brass for reloading. In my humble opinion it is the best 35 caliber round out there. I've killed hogs, deer, and one elk, it worked just fine.

The 358win a great cartridge and is still used alot but many reload due to the lack of factory ammo only Win's 200gr silvertips. Ruger just offered their model 77 in 358win this year and browning has always offered it.
I have the 35whelen, 358win, and 35rem. The rem is in a 335D and is fast handling and deadly out to 175 yards. The 358 is my go to gun, a rem 700 and if its 50 yards or 250 yards deer, bear, elk, or moose it gets it done!
The whelen is in a rem 7600 and if I needed more range or the 250gr bullets it still works great.

Just put your handloads in the factory boxes when they are empty and play dumb. It works You cant tell the dif. If you load the same or simular bullets

There was a time up here when we couldnt get 358 shells or 264 Win Mag so are we supposed to stop hunting with our cool old rifles.

The 35 caliber as a all around deer/elk round is much under credited. My 35 Whelen is absolutely BAD to the bone.

Wow! The thought of Nosler .358 ammunition excites the imagination. I know what 225 grain Nosler Partitions do from either of my 358s. I would love to see a 200 grain AB loaded in .358.

I would also like to see a 200gr AccuBond for the 358. That would be an incredible combo for big game and shoot flat for longer pokes at game. I am shooting the HDY 200 Spire Points now, but would really like to use something a little tougher before I ventured out for elk or something with it. Scotty

I shot a big wolf with my Hawkeye 358, the 225 Sierra went in under his chin at about 60 yds. The slug came out the left ham on the leg, he went down like a big of rocks.

honkeetonkin -
You can check handloaded rounds for any flight up to a certain weight. I usually fly to California and meet a friend to shoot belding squirrels every spring. I can take alot more 204 rounds than 22-250 rounds out there. As long as you have them in the plastic cases made for cartridges there shouldn't be any problem with checking them. Check with the airline you are traveling on...they will usually have it posted on their website on the limits you can check.

Back