375 Winchester

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I just picked up a 375 Winchester barrel for my T/C Contender.
Brass is difficult to get but I have a line on some. Based off the 30-30, its easy to make but is weaker than 375 Win brass. I need to get some dies and bullets.

Anybody have any experience with the 375 Win?

JD338

I've had two, Jim; and I may have another before life is over. It is a sweet cartridge that will git 'er done at modest ranges. BlkRam took all the extra brass and dies when I sold the last one off. No particular tips, as it is rather easy to load.

I've got one in a Marlin lever gun and sold one in a Ruger No 3. IMR 4198 and a Hornady 220 grain does well for me. I hear the Hornady bullets might be discontinued so I'm not sure where I would go from there.

lefty315":10kxfzuk said:
I've got one in a Marlin lever gun and sold one in a Ruger No 3. IMR 4198 and a Hornady 220 grain does well for me. I hear the Hornady bullets might be discontinued so I'm not sure where I would go from there.

I heard that too about the Hornady 220 gr FP. That was the bullet that I wanted to use.
Sierra offers a 200 gr FP that should work well for WT deer.
I need to get some dies.

JD338

The 375 is a whole lot of fun to shoot and really smacks black bears and moose under 150 yards! Also harvested my first caribou with this cartridge.

It's been awhile since I loaded any rounds for my Marlin, but if memory serves, it was the hornady 220 gr FP with about 32 gr of IMR 4198 at approx. 2000 fps or Re-7 for about 2200 fps. Both loads ran 1 MOA at 100 yards.

I used R7 with the Hornady 220 in my first run Mod 94BB, but later went to the Beartooth 265gr HC and 2400. The little rifle is way too pretty to take hunting, so never did! its in my SILs safe for my grand daughter later in life. Brass has been a bear to find for awhile. I have some squirreled away. I always wanted to shoot some of Buffalo Bores Heavy 38-55 in it. That thing should be a thumper. You might try a box of them in that Contender, I don't know what brass they use, but its gotta be stronger than 30-30 brass and the older 38-55 brass. Is this a pistol or carbine barrel you have JD?

It's a 14" hand gun barrel.

JD338

I don't know how you guys hang on to one of those! I "tried" a contender with a 10" .223 barrel and I couldn't hit squat with it, ha. Just not my thingy I suppose. Now, any revolver with irons, I'm pretty dang good. In fact, I hit an unlucky egret in SE Texas around 110yds with a S&W Mod 28 with .38 Specials in it at one time! ha

Its not that hard to shoot or hold on to these Contenders.
Ask efw on the forum here. He shot my 6.5JDJ at 300 yds and did quite well with it.

JD338

My favorite of all my barrels is the 45LC bull with target sights. 250gr LRNFP CA loads are a dream to shoot and are VERY accurate out of my barrel. Have to admit though the Buffalo bore 300gr +P's buck a little bit.

Blkram":3u15vt3i said:
The 375 is a whole lot of fun to shoot and really smacks black bears and moose under 150 yards! Also harvested my first caribou with this cartridge.

It's been awhile since I loaded any rounds for my Marlin, but if memory serves, it was the hornady 220 gr FP with about 32 gr of IMR 4198 at approx. 2000 fps or Re-7 for about 2200 fps. Both loads ran 1 MOA at 100 yards.

Same here. 4198 was good but RL7 was excellent. H322 should be good as well

I bought RCBS dies yesterday along with a bunch of W-W 30-30 brass at $.15 each. I also got some 375 Win brass in the mail today. Just need to grab some bullets and a 1 pounder of RL7 and I will be in business.
I sure wish I could find a couple boxes of the Hornady .375 220 gr FP bullets.

JD338

Jim, check out Beartooth bullets. A hard cast 220 or so might be awfully wicked outta the 375...

Marshall Stanton has some good looking bullets and I can't see a 375 caliber bullet not letting the blood flow out of a Mi buck...

My favorite lever gun round. It looks just like a mini-45/70. I have a pair of Marlins and a Winchester.

The 220s are rare to come across. If you want to try some 235 gr cast., i bought some from Carolina Cast that have shot well

My Marlin likes the heavier Lyman 375449 weighing in at about 275gr. I loaded mine down to 1700fps with RL7 for a young hunter and the rife and load are my new favorite when out for deer and hogs. There's plenty of room with RL7 to step up my load to a higher velocity.

Thomas

that 250 at 2k would be a BEAST Jim. Lengthwise through a Moose~!

Attachments

• 375.JPG
    375.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 3,927
I'm a 375 Win guy. Also have a very early 94 Big Bore. So does my father and a friend from Maine we hunt with. It is a great woods cartridge. I intend on buying one for my son and daughters as well. All Winchesters.

I've heard mixed opinions about shooting .38-55 through it. E Arthur Brown makes brass for the 375 that they form from 30-30 cases. Supposedly a few people have fired full power 375 rounds though those cases without issue. I imagine case life suffers, but who knows. I have an inadequate amount of brass, maybe someday I will try that, in the meantime I pay out the nose for 375 headstamped brass when I find it.

I'm a fan of the Hornady 220 bullet, but my advice to anyone just picking up a 375 is to make the jump straight to a casting pot and a mold. The initial investment can be huge for a casting pot, a good mold, and a lubrisizer, but depending on how much you shoot it you will end up breaking even sooner or later with how expensive these bullets are when you find them second hand. Eventually the supply will diminish. I have also heard Hornady has officially discontinued the 220 grain bullets. Prior to a few months ago, they were still "suspended" but looks now that they've finally given up on them. NOE makes a 235grain mold with the option to form hollow points. According to NOE, they are absolutely devastating on game.

4198 and Rx7 are the powders for it. I'm mostly loading 4198 as it is easier to find in my area than any of Alliant powders.

I'd also like to add, there is a group on Facebook "375 Winchester Fans" or something of that nature. If you own or are a fan of the 375 and are on Facebook, please join. Our hopes is that we can use the buying power of a large cohort of 375 owners to have runs made of brass and bullets, also its nice to commiserate with other fans of dead calibers.

Back