38 special, is .2 grains difference in the load from the powder drop a problem

clearwater

Handloader
Feb 5, 2005
769
755
I have a cute little powder measure that drops .2 grains extra maybe 1 out of 7 times.

Is this going to effect accuracy at 10-20 yards?
 
Probably not but it would depend on the powder and charge weight. I’d invest in a new powder measure, especially if you are loading upper end loads.

JD338
 
sounds like maybe a problem caused by the powder settling in the hopper ? some powder measures have a baffle available , to keep the weight up off the measuring cylinder . maybe you could make some type of a baffle , to see if it helps .
 
I have a cute little powder measure that drops .2 grains extra maybe 1 out of 7 times.

Is this going to effect accuracy at 10-20 yards?

I don't think it would matter but I would be finding a new one. Personally, Im too OCD when it comes to powder measuring.
 
Probably not unless you're loading for competition. For plinking everyday range time shouldn't be a factor. Check the loads over a conagraph as you shoot from a rest and watch for any group size change per shot. Might be interesting.
 
It's remarkable how small adjustments in fit can boost accuracy. I remember tinkering with my old rifle and feeling frustrated before realizing the importance of ergonomics. It’s all about those nuanced changes that really elevate our shooting experience! Any tips for getting it just right?



 
My first reloading mentor never had a powder measure, so I learned to scale every load...and I don't have one, and continue this practice still.
I guess my own OCD tendencies and patience, allows this extra care and attention to detail to add to the enjoyment of the hobby. And I do not load for competition or tons of shooting/plinking, so making the process faster by wanting a manual powder measure has not been an issue for me. (Tried one at another friends once; while neat, it didn't compel me to acquire one.) Manually, I still enjoy trickling the powder to the proper charge weight, for each case.
Even with my newer RCBS powder dispenser, acquired because I liked the option of ensuring that each charge was weighed and trickled to the tenth of a grain, I still measure all of my charges into the cases before seating any bullets, just to ensure that I am not missing any steps in the process. Slow and steady wins the race!

Consistency in practice = consistency in loads and will result in more consistent Extreme Spreads (ES) and Standard Deviation SD), which should result in more consistent accuracy from your handloads, in your firearms.

But, each to their own!
I'll not tell someone else what they must do, except for pure safety reasons. If it works for you, and you are happy with your results, I'll support that.
I might suggest a recommendation, but that is all it is; a recommendation. Take it as you will!

In your case, from a handgun at 10-20 yards, it may not make a big difference...after all being able to shoot pop cans or other such targets is more about the enjoyment of hitting your target, than the desired high degree of accuracy from a benchrest rifle!
Hope you are having fun with your 38!

(Never had one, and still wish that I had gotten around to acquiring a stainless Ruger GP-100 in 357 Mag with a 4.2" barrel, so I could also shoot 38s in it, before our gun laws changed here in Canada.)
 
Back
Top