404 Jeffery, powder and brass

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
It's time to start ordering this stuff and am looking for some advice. So far I have read where IMR-4831 is a good powder for keeping velocities good while pressures down. My goal is a 400 grain bullet at 2400 fps. Maybe 2300 but, no more than 2400 even though some are getting 2600 fps. Barrel length is 24".

Any load for this rifle will be loaded for Africa so I am not really interested in velocity as mush as keeping pressures moderate or lower. Action is the "scotty-approved" model 70 magnum. :>)

Next is brass, Norma and Hornady is available. I am not really concerned with cost as much as quality. The brand name does not a consideration either.

Thanks...................

Chuck, I would look at H4831 or similar for a powder, if IMR4831 is a good powder, H4831 will be good as well. Reason is H4831 is very stable across the board as far as temps go. Not saying IMR4831 isn't great, but if you are doing it for hot temps, I'd wanna stack the deck as much as possible with a powder that acts the same if you are in Texas or in Africa.

As for brass, if Norma is available, then that would probably be my choice. It's good stuff. Hornady has been good to me, but Norma is a touch better in my opinion.

I'd bet some of the fellas could run you some QL to compare IMR4831 to other more temp stable powders like H4831 and similar. RL23 would be another that is probably right in the burn rate you are looking for and is pretty stable stuff across broad temps.

Sounds like the project is moving along pretty well though. Looking forward to seeing what this boomer looks like in the end.

Boddington just had a nice artice on the .40's in May/June Sports Afield, it may still be available in stores.

He praised the .404 Jeffery and states that it is his favorite, with a 400 gr bullet at about 2300 fps. Ol' Boddington seems quite smitten with what he calls "The Lower Forties."

"All the power you'll need to take on any game in the world."

Guy

The original completion date was next spring. However, Dave is doing well with it and thinks he can have it ready the end of this year. OK by me!

It will be nice to have that thing done and a load underway. Even though I suppose I'll start loads in May or June so as to mimic Africa. Especially putting a 400 gr. NF into some jugs. A buffalo would be nicer! :>)

I'll be over there this Saturday for some measurments on that butt stock.

Can't wait to see some pics. It seems the old 404 is a classic. Plenty of power but not detach retina power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":ljuzqddm said:
Can't wait to see some pics. It seems the old 404 is a classic. Plenty of power but not detach retina power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics, by that time I hope to have flushed PB down the drain. :>)

Several years ago I had a 404 Jeffery made up on a Mauser 98 action ( had to be opened up,etc) and a Krieger barrel. I had a Lone Wolf Safari synthetic put on it too. I bought the mold and swapped it to Marshal Stanton of Beartooth Bullets to make me some hardcast Gas checked bullets, for practice. they came out right at 380gr. I forget what powder I used with them, but used Norma brass. I remember that I had a few misfires with the new brass and even some Norma factory ammo. I would not use anything but fire formed (at least once fired) brass for it to be used on dangerous game. This was a custom rifle set up with the right chamber size too, so it was just getting that long, sloping shoulder set up right. Beartooth still sells those big hard cast bullets for $27/50 and I would shoot any critter with them on any continent! have a ball, just be very conscientious in your loading process.

preacher":3vnooj9p said:
Several years ago I had a 404 Jeffery made up on a Mauser 98 action ( had to be opened up,etc) and a Krieger barrel. I had a Lone Wolf Safari synthetic put on it too. I bought the mold and swapped it to Marshal Stanton of Beartooth Bullets to make me some hardcast Gas checked bullets, for practice. they came out right at 380gr. I forget what powder I used with them, but used Norma brass. I remember that I had a few misfires with the new brass and even some Norma factory ammo. I would not use anything but fire formed (at least once fired) brass for it to be used on dangerous game. This was a custom rifle set up with the right chamber size too, so it was just getting that long, sloping shoulder set up right. Beartooth still sells those big hard cast bullets for $27/50 and I would shoot any critter with them on any continent! have a ball, just be very conscientious in your loading process.

I think this is good advice, the goal of this rifle is not the nth degree of accuracy at any cost. The stock will be fitted to suit me as a dangerous game rifle able to use iron sights; it will be ammo that will fire & feed flawlessly in high heat, the right bullet and behind all that will be accuracy.

charles, I would swear I already did this but I dont see my post ??

Norma Brass
400 woodleigh soft followed by a 400 woodleigh solid and you head back to camp
IMR 4831 will work
dont load it to the max, no need to increase the pressure and the recoil, it is not needed.

Charles, quick note, as you know a lot of the back story. Mum is getting restless in Argentina and is researching using the farm in Africa as a Black Rhino preserve. When my great-grandfather acquired that land I bet he never foresaw today's Africa. Dad seems to still be happy raising cattle

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila,

I remember that post, assuming it was here????

Your mum restless.................who would have thunk that??? :>)

Back