Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jhunter1010

Beginner
Jul 19, 2009
just wondering if anybody has tried the new ruger yet, any loads out for it :?:

ive heard recoil is VERY managable, even less then the 375 but i find this hard to believe, so any body with one, how bout a review and maby some light loads that wont break the bank, or my shoulder :)

I don`t think anyone has any published load data as of yet, but they will.

Contact Hornady. It`s highly probable that they can e/mail you some reloading data like they did with me in early `08 for my 375 Ruger Alaskan.

Haven`t shot one these yet, but would love to try one. Imo, the .416 Ruger will become more in popular as time goes by. First reason is because it is based on the excellent .375 Ruger case. The second reason is because the 20" tubed SS .416 Ruger Alaskan rifle available from Ruger, is lesser expensive than most other 416s, while offering a real nice sweet handling 40.75" OAL rifle package. That type of rifle along with its price, will certainly attract .416 buyers.

If Ruger is smart and just like they did with the .375 Ruger, we should also see a .416 Ruger in the longer 23" barreled African version.

I am not one to have more than one rifle in the same diameter. I have ny 416 WBY so I am covered

SV100451.jpg

I think the factory needs to solve the wooden stock problem first. I have shot all the .400s and owned some, and some people are not going to be able to handle the recoil.

jim

HunterJim":1uyypn3y said:
I think the factory needs to solve the wooden stock problem first. I have shot all the .400s and owned some, and some people are not going to be able to handle the recoil.

jim
...........Interestingly, I did get to shoot a 375 Ruger African. Using the same factory ammo, the felt recoil from my 375 Ruger Alaskan was less.

I guess the Hogue stock absorbs more recoil. That`s probably why Ruger for now, only uses the Hogue for the 416, as they may not have solved the stock splitting issue as of yet.

I agree with POP, one rifle per caliber. My choice for the 400 series was the 416 Rigby. What a boomer. Ruger has elected to introduce various large calibers in shorter, fatter cases trying to entice shooters to an arena that they would not normally venture into. After reading the reviews and specs on the Ruger offerings, I don't see the need. I understand they are only trying to increase their market base. But nothing can equal a well made gun in 375 H&H, 300 H&H, 416 Rigby, 470 NE. It is mostly hype. BUT, that being said, shoot what you will, because the shooting sports that we all enjoy is what keeps us free!

TRIC":3r5u4oc2 said:
I agree with POP, one rifle per caliber. My choice for the 400 series was the 416 Rigby. What a boomer. Ruger has elected to introduce various large calibers in shorter, fatter cases trying to entice shooters to an arena that they would not normally venture into. After reading the reviews and specs on the Ruger offerings, I don't see the need. I understand they are only trying to increase their market base. But nothing can equal a well made gun in 375 H&H, 300 H&H, 416 Rigby, 470 NE. It is mostly hype. BUT, that being said, shoot what you will, because the shooting sports that we all enjoy is what keeps us free!
...........I`ll agree too with the one rifle per caliber scenario. Agreed! The 416 Rigby is an excellent boomer.

But Ruger like any company, is in the business to make money and increase their sales via advertisements and enticements. Unlike any other gun maker over recent years, they have introduced more new product innovations to the market than any gun maker, giving the marketplace and shooting public different alternatives.

Ruger`s introduction of the 375 Ruger, followed by the RCMs and then followed by the 416 Ruger and the rifles chambered for them, have been nothing short of brilliant. The price points for their DGRs allow for many shooters and hunters to own a 375 and a 416, without paying hundreds if not thousands more. And, they are as reliable, as durable and just as accurate as they come.

True! They won`t have the wood piz-azzz, bells and whistles of the more expensive rifles chambered in the 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 300 H&Hs, or 470 NE.

The 416 Ruger wasn`t designed to equal or take on the 416 Rigby`s ballistic performance. Instead, it was designed to maintain the 30-06 action length, doing so within a 40 3/4" OAL more affordable and better handling rifle, while still giving enough killing power for any game on the planet.

While some consider them as hype, I consider them brilliant by filling a different marketing need with lower more affordable price points.

Although they are equal in terminal performance on game, the 375 Ruger is slightly better ballistically than is the 375 H&H. And, it can so from a shorter barrel and from a shorter OAL rifle. That was the Hornady and Ruger goal.

If that`s "mostly hype" or "no need",,then please gimme some more of that hype plus the lack of need!

Here to stay? I don't know.
There are two things ruger did with this design that are very smart. They made it a standard length action, and they headspace off the shoulder. Both greatly simplify manufacturing, and help keep costs down. Fitting in a standard size frame was an important factor in the .40 s&w surpassing the 10mm in popularity. Now we just need to see if the new Rugers will catch on with an equally diverse crowd of gun makers.

Antelope_Sniper":16ceqol9 said:
Here to stay? I don't know.
There are two things ruger did with this design that are very smart. They made it a standard length action, and they headspace off the shoulder. Both greatly simplify manufacturing, and help keep costs down. Fitting in a standard size frame was an important factor in the .40 s&w surpassing the 10mm in popularity. Now we just need to see if the new Rugers will catch on with an equally diverse crowd of gun makers.
.................I have a feeling that the 416 Ruger is here to stay. In reading between the lines here, or reading the stitches on a fast ball, Hornady and Ruger are two very powerful influential companies in the shooting and hunting world. Their partnership, capable of implementing some serious marketing and advertising campaigns, will help insure the 416 Ruger`s success, just as it did with the 375 Ruger.

When you combine that along with the lower cost of the 416 Ruger Alaskan rifles to purchase, I wouldn`t exactly bet on the 416 Ruger to just fall by the wayside any time soon, or in the foreseeable future for that matter.

I also remember these same concerns along with the nay sayer predictions that were also made about the 375 Ruger shortly after it was introduced. Well! So much for the past predicitions of the nay-sayers and skeptics.

I don`t think anyone can now honestly say; the 375 Ruger is "not" here to stay and "will" fall by the wayside.

Time and the marketplace will determine the 416 Ruger`s future. With Hornady and Ruger behind it, the liklihood for its success is much greater!

Big Squeeze, a little off subject...but I know you really love the Ruger guns and cartridges. I'm curious why you prefer the WSM to the RCM, or is it more a matter of availability, or that it predecessed the Ruger option?

YoteSmoker":gxj2ndcf said:
Big Squeeze, a little off subject...but I know you really love the Ruger guns and cartridges. I'm curious why you prefer the WSM to the RCM, or is it more a matter of availability, or that it predecessed the Ruger option?
..................Perhaps "really like" would be a better description than "love"..........

That`s a good question.

I bought my 300 WSM Frontier in Mar `07, before the 300 RCM cartridge was available. I knew that Ruger had discontinued the 300 WSM in the Frontier compact, sometime between mid to late 2006 for patent reasons. Considering that I wanted at the very least, 26" tubed 30-06 performance from a far more compact rifle, I grabbed one while I still could get one.

I don`t necessarily prefer the 300 WSM over the 300 RCM or the reverse. Though given the same barrel lengths, a new 300 RCM compact (with a little less case powder capacity than the 300 WSM), won`t quite match the velocities that my 300 WSM Frontier can obtain.

I do notice btw, that the new 300 RCM Ruger compacts don`t have the scout mount bases like the Frontiers do. I prefer the conventional scope mount along with that scout scope mounting option, which I do have.

All in all, I`m very happy with a 300 WSM compact and I`m glad things worked out the way they did. It`s short, very handy and manuverable, very accurate, and it is one helluva powerful and "LOUD" boomer,,,,literally,,,which because of its extra noise, very few would like or enjoy shooting.........But I like it.

With nothing to be gained, I won`t be trading or selling it to get a 300 RCM!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back