416 Taylor Improved?

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Anybody know much about the improved version? Looking at one right now, and comes with custom dies and one piece of fire formed brass. Ain't really been able to find anything about it on the internet yet. Just curious if you fire form 416 taylor brass and that is all required. Though I could find info online, but so far a dead end

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have had a 416 Taylor pretty much since 1998, but for the brief time it took between selling the right handed rifle I first bought to try to cartridge in and getting my left handed custom rifle built.
I am afraid I cannot tell you much about the Improved version, as I have never looked into it.
Most Ackley improved versions will fireform brass by running the original case through the improved chamber. Not sure if your version is also an Ackley.
And I am not sure what the improved version provides for as an increase in case capacity and performance.

A-Square and Quality Cartridge both made/make 416 Taylor brass.
I am using Quality Cartridge brass in my current rifle. My load that I am using at the moment is 69.0 gr of Re-15 with 350 gr Barnes TSX bullets and F215 primers and is giving 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Sorry, have not chronied it in my rifle w/ 22" barrel yet. It is a mid range loading, and definitely below max. Recoil is also moderate for this cartridge. Hope to try a load with the 350 gr Speer Mag Tip bullets next for bison.

I used necked down 458 Win brass in my first rifle, as that is what came with it when I got it. My best load in that rifle was with the older 325 gr X bullets and W748. Sorry cannot recall exact load, but my paperwork shows loads were up to 80 grains w/ WLRM primers. The 350 gr X bullets and Speer Mag Tips were also pretty accurate, but not the 3 shot clover leafs that the 325 gr load gave. Max loads were supposed to provide approx. 2500 fps with 350 gr bullets.

Not sure that any of this helped.
I do know that it is possible to duplicate specs of 416 Rigby and Remington with the regular 416 Taylor and 400 gr bullets at approx. 2400 fps and over 5000 ft-lbs of energy.

Blkram":fket8dir said:
I have had a 416 Taylor pretty much since 1998, but for the brief time it took between selling the right handed rifle I first bought to try to cartridge in and getting my left handed custom rifle built.
I am afraid I cannot tell you much about the Improved version, as I have never looked into it.
Most Ackley improved versions will fireform brass by running the original case through the improved chamber. Not sure if your version is also an Ackley.
And I am not sure what the improved version provides for as an increase in case capacity and performance.

A-Square and Quality Cartridge both made/make 416 Taylor brass.
I am using Quality Cartridge brass in my current rifle. My load that I am using at the moment is 69.0 gr of Re-15 with 350 gr Barnes TSX bullets and F215 primers and is giving 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Sorry, have not chronied it in my rifle w/ 22" barrel yet. It is a mid range loading, and definitely below max. Recoil is also moderate for this cartridge. Hope to try a load with the 350 gr Speer Mag Tip bullets next for bison.

I used necked down 458 Win brass in my first rifle, as that is what came with it when I got it. My best load in that rifle was with the older 325 gr X bullets and W748. Sorry cannot recall exact load, but my paperwork shows loads were up to 80 grains w/ WLRM primers. The 350 gr X bullets and Speer Mag Tips were also pretty accurate, but not the 3 shot clover leafs that the 325 gr load gave. Max loads were supposed to provide approx. 2500 fps with 350 gr bullets.

Not sure that any of this helped.
I do know that it is possible to duplicate specs of 416 Rigby and Remington with the regular 416 Taylor and 400 gr bullets at approx. 2400 fps and over 5000 ft-lbs of energy.
Thanks! I was eying this one on gunbroker, and they supplied very little information. The 416 taylor seems to be a great cartridge. I may just send of my interarms mark x 30/06 for a rebarrel to the taylor round and open up the bolt face. I dont know though that 30/06 is a great shooting gun, and I may not be able to force myself to use it as a donor haha.

Easier to pick up a good donor in a rifle of your preference that is already chambered to a 264 Win Mag/7mm Rem Mag/300 Win Mag/338 Win Mag/458 Win Mag and rebarrel to 416 Taylor, then you do not have open up the boltface. The latter two options even better as then feed rails may not require much or any alteration. A CZ, Brno or Ruger Safari rifle should also hold more cartridges in the magazine.
I like the 416 Taylor as it provides similar performance to the other cartridges requiring longer, beefier and heavier actions. Therefore same as a 7mm Rem Mag and a 338 Win Mag. A very neat trio of very capable cartridges to hunt the world with!
My dream for the 416 Taylor would be a bongo hunt, where a person could add a dwarf forest buffalo and a sitatunga, and yet be also prepared in the event of running into one of those forest elephants!
And should I ever decide to hunt Alaskan brown bear, I'll be packing this rifle along.
It will definitely be going on my next bison hunt.

Blkram":pb1xtwgs said:
Easier to pick up a good donor in a rifle of your preference that is already chambered to a 264 Win Mag/7mm Rem Mag/300 Win Mag/338 Win Mag/458 Win Mag and rebarrel to 416 Taylor, then you do not have open up the boltface. The latter two options even better as then feed rails may not require much or any alteration. A CZ, Brno or Ruger Safari rifle should also hold more cartridges in the magazine.
I like the 416 Taylor as it provides similar performance to the other cartridges requiring longer, beefier and heavier actions. Therefore same as a 7mm Rem Mag and a 338 Win Mag. A very neat trio of very capable cartridges to hunt the world with!
My dream for the 416 Taylor would be a bongo hunt, where a person could add a dwarf forest buffalo and a sitatunga, and yet be also prepared in the event of running into one of those forest elephants!
And should I ever decide to hunt Alaskan brown bear, I'll be packing this rifle along.
It will definitely be going on my next bison hunt.
Thanks very good info! I forgot about the feed rails. I had to work on them myself on my 98 mauser to feed the 9.3x62. It was a daunting task for myself and took a long time! Dont wanna do that again lol.

RaySendero":atqhy6ei said:
I didn't realize there was that much room to improve a 416 Taylor.
Kinda what have been thinking over night. I've never seen a 416 taylor cartridge in person. But being formed from necked down 458 win mag, I would assume it's a sharper shouldered case with minimal case taper to begin with. So not sure if there would be much gain at all by improving it.

Cleveland48":6u125qn7 said:
RaySendero":6u125qn7 said:
Kinda what have been thinking over night. I've never seen a 416 taylor cartridge in person. But being formed from necked down 458 win mag, I would assume it's a sharper shouldered case with minimal case taper to begin with. So not sure if there would be much gain at all by improving it.

That was my thought as well. I don't have a .416 Taylor but I do have the .375 Taylor and while I have made brass from 7MM Rem. Mag. (A royal PITA) .338 Win. Mag. and ,458 Win. Mag. my preference is just go with the .458 Win. Mag and trim just enough to square off the necks. Frankly I can't see any room to to improve the .375 so don't see any for the .416 as well. Mine is o a Ruger M77 tanger with 22" barrel and it's easy to duplicate .375 H&H velocity. Great accuracy but the rifle is 7.5 pounds and hammers at both ends. I forget which but ES is 5 FPS for one bullet weight and 6 FPS for the other. I'm guess is the 6 ids with 270 gr. bullets and the 5 with 300 gr. bullets. The rifle was built for an elk hunt in some very steep dark wooded country that never came about.
The only .416 I have is a Ruger #1 in the Rigby round.
Paul B.

PJGunner":3phq25u1 said:
Cleveland48":3phq25u1 said:
RaySendero":3phq25u1 said:

That was my thought as well. I don't have a .416 Taylor but I do have the .375 Taylor and while I have made brass from 7MM Rem. Mag. (A royal PITA) .338 Win. Mag. and ,458 Win. Mag. my preference is just go with the .458 Win. Mag and trim just enough to square off the necks. Frankly I can't see any room to to improve the .375 so don't see any for the .416 as well. Mine is o a Ruger M77 tanger with 22" barrel and it's easy to duplicate .375 H&H velocity. Great accuracy but the rifle is 7.5 pounds and hammers at both ends. I forget which but ES is 5 FPS for one bullet weight and 6 FPS for the other. I'm guess is the 6 ids with 270 gr. bullets and the 5 with 300 gr. bullets. The rifle was built for an elk hunt in some very steep dark wooded country that never came about.
Paul B.
I bet that 375 in that weight range does hammer on both ends! Been looking at a cz in 416 rigby also. For some reason I've just all the sudden gotten an urge to have a 416 of some sorts lol.

Cleveland48":nzdfaqpx said:
PJGunner":nzdfaqpx said:
Cleveland48":nzdfaqpx said:
RaySendero":nzdfaqpx said:

Paul B.
I bet that 375 in that weight range does hammer on both ends! Been looking at a cz in 416 rigby also. For some reason I've just all the sudden gotten an urge to have a 416 of some sorts lol.

Man, that’s my sorta urge!

SJB358":2evnq257 said:
Cleveland48":2evnq257 said:
PJGunner":2evnq257 said:
Cleveland48":2evnq257 said:
RaySendero said:

Paul B.

Man, that’s my sorta urge!
Haha! They are all so expensive lol. The rifles, brass, bullets, and lots of powder lol. Probably not my best idea during these slow economic times. But I'm bad about impulse buying anyways haha

It's an urge that needs scratching!

The nice part about the 416 Taylor is that it doesn't eat as much powder as the larger cases (69-70 gr), and recoil isn't punishing with the loads I have used over the years with the medium loads for 300, 325 and 350 gr loads. Have never weighed my rifles (both custom Rugers w/ 22" inch barrels of a heavier contour), and using Decelarator and LimbSaver recoil pads.
Recoil definitely heavier than the 9.3x62 with 286 gr loads, but not as bad as a 458 Win Mag with 400 or 500 gr loads. Nor the full powerhouse 400 gr loads of the 416 Rigby in a CZ rifle or Ruger No.1 rifles.

Blkram":r4ngifxc said:
It's an urge that needs scratching!

The nice part about the 416 Taylor is that it doesn't eat as much powder as the larger cases (69-70 gr), and recoil isn't punishing with the loads I have used over the years with the medium loads for 300, 325 and 350 gr loads. Have never weighed my rifles (both custom Rugers w/ 22" inch barrels of a heavier contour), and using Decelarator and LimbSaver recoil pads.
Recoil definitely heavier than the 9.3x62 with 286 gr loads, but not as bad as a 458 Win Mag with 400 or 500 gr loads. Nor the full powerhouse 400 gr loads of the 416 Rigby in a CZ rifle or Ruger No.1 rifles.
The taylor seems to be about perfect for that role. And not putting a 100 + grains of powder in that rigby case lol.

I had one "briefly" because I had it built too light, too short! I had a "wonderful" Mod 700 Classic 35 Whelen ( Ackley Version) converted to magnum, with a #4 , 20 inch Douglas barrel and a KDF style muzzle brake. Wow! Eargersplitten, brutal recoiling! I had a 400gr Hawk going exactly 2400fps. I don't remember the powder/charge ( too many surgeries between then and now!) I "envisioned" a lwt elk rifle. I sold it pronto. Its and easy wildcat, just run a 458 WM case into the die and load/fire. BUT, you don't want to go too light. I think a 24 inch barrel and at least 9 pounds up and running would be a much nicer rig...myself. I too can't see much room to "improve", but maybe its semantics? Ask the seller for more detail? I had Dennis Olsen build mine, and he worked on the feed rails, etc. He does great work, but not sure if he is still in business.

Think I'm going to hold out for a Winchester m70 in 416 rem. Been a good while since I've had a model 70. Components are readily available for the rem mag compared to the rigby, and a bit cheaper too lol.

Well I broke down and won the bid on that 416 taylor improved. I guess I'll figure it out when it gets here haha. Atleast it comes with dies anyways. They are CH4D dies, I went to look on their website and they are $158 [emoji15]. Glad they coming with them lol. Now I'm gonna order some bullets and 416 taylor brass, and go from there. Stinks everywhere is behind on shipping probably be two weeks or so before the come in.

Looks like gunbroker strikes again :lol: Should be a very interesting rifle by the sounds of it. To my mind the 416 Taylor or improved version whatever you end up having would be a screamer with 300-350 gr bullets. I love to watch how your projects turn out, always interesting.

gerry":j8sea0ug said:
Looks like gunbroker strikes again :lol: Should be a very interesting rifle by the sounds of it. To my mind the 416 Taylor or improved version whatever you end up having would be a screamer with 300-350 gr bullets. I love to watch how your projects turn out, always interesting.

I like Gerry's thinking of going with the 350 gr bullets!

Thanks guys I was looking at the 350 mag tips as being my first ones to try. If i can find em.

Back