416 Taylor Improved?

Well I've got some 350 grain speer mag tips, and 400 grain DGX hornady's on the way. A 50 pack on norma 416 taylor and quality cartridge 416 taylor brass on the way. Dies will come with the rifle and it will ship tomorrow. Maybe by next weekend I'll have it set up, and some brass fire formed and go from there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sounds like your on your way!
What scope are you going to mount on it?

Data I have on hand for the 416 Taylor and 350 gr Mag Tips is (assume these as max charges for non-Improved version, and sorry no note on barrel length for data - my barrel is 22"):
75.0 gr of Re-15 w/ CCI 250 primers for approx. 2539 fps
72.0 gr of H4895 (sorry, no note on primer) for approx. 2535 fps
hope that helps!?!?

Cleveland- congrats on the rifle. Here you go- down the "rabbit hole" :) . Mr Ackley wrote a book on his improved cartridge's. I have the photo copied pages on the 250 Ackley Improved (big surprise - huh? :grin: ) but not the 416 Taylor. If you like, I will forward an e-mail to my friend and see if he can find it and snap us a photo of info for the Taylor. If you don't here from me for a while PM me and remind me. I offered to buy the book once- he said "nope". Mr Ackley blew the shoulder and necked down everything, including the sink trap. Cool book. CL

PS- we will expect pics of the new thumper.... :)

Blkram":38eqza07 said:
Sounds like your on your way!
What scope are you going to mount on it?

Data I have on hand for the 416 Taylor and 350 gr Mag Tips is (assume these as max charges for non-Improved version, and sorry no note on barrel length for data - my barrel is 22"):
75.0 gr of Re-15 w/ CCI 250 primers for approx. 2539 fps
72.0 gr of H4895 (sorry, no note on primer) for approx. 2535 fps
hope that helps!?!?
It comes with nikon 1.5x5-20 already on the rifle in leupold QR rings. Im not sure which model nikon it is though. Thanks for the load data also, that will be a big help for me getting started!

cloverleaf":38c3fzom said:
Cleveland- congrats on the rifle. Here you go- down the "rabbit hole" :) . Mr Ackley wrote a book on his improved cartridge's. I have the photo copied pages on the 250 Ackley Improved (big surprise - huh? :grin: ) but not the 416 Taylor. If you like, I will forward an e-mail to my friend and see if he can find it and snap us a photo of info for the Taylor. If you don't here from me for a while PM me and remind me. I offered to buy the book once- he said "nope". Mr Ackley blew the shoulder and necked down everything, including the sink trap. Cool book. CL

Thanks! That would be a big help also. And I'll post up some pics when it arrives.

Congrats! I had envisoned that 416 Taylor I had as an elk thumper. I shot the older Barnes 350 out of the 416 Rigby and 416 Remington. Check out Beartooth Bullets. When I was playing with the 416 cal ( from 416 Taylor up to the Rigby) I spoke with Marshal the owner and he helped me alot. He has some options, one being his 335gr HCGC. That would work for about anything! And be cheaper to shoot usually, usually. :)

preacher":qutov51r said:
Congrats! I had envisoned that 416 Taylor I had as an elk thumper. I shot the older Barnes 350 out of the 416 Rigby and 416 Remington. Check out Beartooth Bullets. When I was playing with the 416 cal ( from 416 Taylor up to the Rigby) I spoke with Marshal the owner and he helped me alot. He has some options, one being his 335gr HCGC. That would work for about anything! And be cheaper to shoot usually, usually. :)
Thanks preacher!

Well the new rifle came in wednesday. Was only able to fire 20 rounds so far. I only have 20 pcs of quality cartridge brass, norma has not arrived yet. Loaded them with 72 grains of RL 15 and 350 gr mag tips. Recoil was quite brisk and 20 was plenty lol. The only thing is I'm not 100% sure if this is an improved case. The barrel does not have any cartridge stamped on it. The only thing is the die set says Taylor improved, and it's only a seater die and a die with Mandrels to neck up other brass I assume 338 win mag. So I had to order another die. After shooting I checked the brass for some measurements to compare to the factory taylor brass. If the shoulder is any sharper I can barely tell with the naked eye. And the case below the shoulder measures. 003" - .004" larger than the factory brass. Would this seem about right for some improved cartridges? The only reason I ask is I'm not sure how much this expands in a normal 416 taylor chamber. Any ideas would be great. I also do not have a drawing of 416 taylor improved case specs, so kinda in the dark lol. On a solid note rifle functions great, Express sights are basically dead on at about 40 yards and taking scope on and off did not seem to affect impact hardly any. Rifle is pretty light, and recoil is a little stiff haha.
ec21bbdaa72d90f75c157fe350d659bc.jpg

May want to put a mercury recoil reducer init and install a LimbSaver pad on it if it is a light rifle.
If you PM me your e-mail,I can try to e-mail you a pic of my loaded rounds.
I will also try to get hold of my friend with Ackley's books and see if they have measurements or a pic of the improved case dimensions for you, and then e-mail that to you too.

I know the load I am shooting with the 350 gr Barnes I have at the moment is just 69.0 gr of Re-19. My recoil isn't so bad, but my rifle has a a laminated stock and is most likely a bit heavier than yours. The LimbSaver makes a difference on this rifle.

Blkram":3nekto00 said:
May want to put a mercury recoil reducer init and install a LimbSaver pad on it if it is a light rifle.
If you PM me your e-mail,I can try to e-mail you a pic of my loaded rounds.
I will also try to get hold of my friend with Ackley's books and see if they have measurements or a pic of the improved case dimensions for you, and then e-mail that to you too.

I know the load I am shooting with the 350 gr Barnes I have at the moment is just 69.0 gr of Re-19. My recoil isn't so bad, but my rifle has a a laminated stock and is most likely a bit heavier than yours. The LimbSaver makes a difference on this rifle.
Thanks I sent you a pm. Decelarator pad on it now, but I may need to look into a limbsaver pad

Cleveland48":17x7qyug said:
cloverleaf":17x7qyug said:

Thanks! That would be a big help also. And I'll post up some pics when it arrives.

Sorry man, I thought I had gotten back to you..... My buddy couldn't find anything in his "library" on a 416 Taylor improved. You are good at this... no doubt you will find a wi8nning load. Good looking rifle! CL

cloverleaf":36q7g7uw said:
Cleveland48":36q7g7uw said:
cloverleaf":36q7g7uw said:

Sorry man, I thought I had gotten back to you..... My buddy couldn't find anything in his "library" on a 416 Taylor improved. You are good at this... no doubt you will find a wi8nning load. Good looking rifle! CL
Thanks cloverleaf and no problem man!

I just necked down .458 Win Mag brass for my short time with the Taylor. I first read about it via articles written by John Wooters. He actually got to use his in Africa. Another thing is the "Chadwick Ram" (1936 #1 Stone Sheep) was killed with a 404 Jeffry ( ala 416 Taylor), which I always thought was a strange choice. Many .404 users observed that the round" recoiled like the 375 H&H yet killed like the 458WM". I liked that.

As to being "Improved", I can't find anything on it, maybe it was just "Caprice" by the previous owner to call it that? So now, you have to get it set up, go shoot a bunch of "really big hogs", then go to South Africa and shoot a few Blue Wildebeest, zebra, Red Hartebeest, Kudu. ha You can do it! Have a ball pard!

preacher":3tmovvvw said:
I just necked down .458 Win Mag brass for my short time with the Taylor. I first read about it via articles written by John Wooters. He actually got to use his in Africa. Another thing is the "Chadwick Ram" (1936 #1 Stone Sheep) was killed with a 404 Jeffry ( ala 416 Taylor), which I always thought was a strange choice. Many .404 users observed that the round" recoiled like the 375 H&H yet killed like the 458WM". I liked that.

As to being "Improved", I can't find anything on it, maybe it was just "Caprice" by the previous owner to call it that? So now, you have to get it set up, go shoot a bunch of "really big hogs", then go to South Africa and shoot a few Blue Wildebeest, zebra, Red Hartebeest, Kudu. ha You can do it! Have a ball pard!
Thanks preacher! Maybe one day I can make it to Africa lol.

After three firings I got my FL sizing die set to push shoulder back .002" recieved the new norma brass today, and measured it to my brass that's fire formed. It appears there is a difference from the regular 416 taylor. The shoulder is farther forward on formed brass, shoulder seems to be sharper also. Base of the shoulder is about .006" larger than the new brass, giving it less taper. Honestly I dont see this making much difference compared to the regular 416 taylor, other than significantly more expensive dies lol. So I'm just gonna run regular taylor data cause I dont need more than that, and hopefully this brass last a while. That norma is salty lol.

Started on fire forming my 50 pcs of norma brass over the weekend. Decided to try a few groups with the 350 mag tips. Just a lower load of 73 gr of RL15, velocity was 2440 fps. One all fire forming is complete I'll start working up some loads. Overall was happy with the rifle, and its 100 yard groups. Definitely pretty good start I feel like.
4238425f5ff96b10423605479bc839b4.jpg
c5ebe6f0964510e66ea78c3fe8010beb.jpg
4b8c5076f9aa70348e100afe6712a01d.jpg

When I get brass fully formed I've set up a velocity ladder, to see about what peak velocity will be before pressure signs. I'm going to load the 350 gr mag tips with RL15 from 73.5 - 76.0 gr in half grain increments. The 400 DGX I'll be loading with imr4320 from 71.0 - 74.0 gr in half grain increments.

Very darned cool! I have never owned a 416 or bigger cartridge like that, but man, what a thumper!

Well, that has to be encouraging! A fine start to your load development.

Back