44 Mag & 45-70 Partitions.

Paul Barnard

Beginner
Oct 12, 2004
Does anyone have any hunting experiences with Partitions in 44 magnum rifle and 45-70? I have always found favor with Partitions in more traditional calibers, but for whatever reason, have not taken advantage of them in my 44 Mag (Ruger 77/44 rifle) and 45-70 Guide Gun. I have the cross section sketch of a traditional Partition etched in my mind, but I don't think I've seen a similar sketch of the "fat" Partitions. I assume they are built the same. I'm going to buy a couple boxes for this season. Sure would be nice to have someone share some pet loads or actual hunting results.

Thanks,
Paul

I bought 2 boxes of the 250gr .44 bullets a few years back and made some mean nasty loads with them for my Ruger revolver. I've yet to take any game with them, but they perform almost like solids, with the exception of a short mushroom head. In the new bullet the lead is totally protected by the copper jacket, no lead protruding, just exposure in the hollow point and on the Partition base.

My dad has some of the 300gr .458's loaded up for his 45-70 and they are stout! He shot a spike elk on a quartering to shot with one and for all intensive purposes it removed the shoulder from the body and exited out the rib cage on opposite side, wow! I think that they are the bomb!

noslerhg.gif

For me there in only 1 300 gr bullet for my 45-70 Stainless guide gun. The 300 Gr Partition. The group below to the RIGHT is 100 yds 3 shots at 2100 fps with RL-7. This is NOT a one time performance. Does it everytime. BTW .55 is edge to edge. You do the math!

4570.jpg

Pop: Looks like from the volume of responses today you had a little spare time on your hands. I have been amazed at how accurate my GG is. It consistently groups Hornady 350RN's under an inch, but I'm not sure I have the impact velocity to reliably open it up. I feel like the partitions are just the ticket. Have you introduced one to a deer yet?

Paul

Nope not yet. Took the GG to Texas 1 month ago for piggies...but alas the piggies did not co-operate. I will kill an antelope with it this upcoming year Paul. I will post pix.....

Back