44 magnum lever action rifle

lever.gun

Beginner
Jan 15, 2010
Does anyone have any recommendation for 44 magnum loads that work best in a winchester rifle for deer? I think I favor the 240 grain soft point. Could I get any benefit from the longer barrel by going to a slower powder than say accurate #9 or even H110?

lever.gun

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

I would use H110, which is also listed by Nosler as the most accurate powder tested. With the 240 gr bullets, work up to a MAX load of 23.8 grs and make sure you have a good roll crimp on your loads.

JD338

JD338,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice.

As far as the crimp, I am using the Lee factory crimp die. Are you recommending to set that that thing for pretty much the tightest crimp it can deliver?

Right now I have some Accurate 9 loads from 19.1 to 20.5 grains under those bullets ready to go out to the range, but I had the crimp die set, I think, relatively light.

Welcome bud. Try 2400, H110 and Lilgun. One of those will work well.

The powder that gives the best velocity in a shorter barrel will normally give the best velocity in a longer barrel. Going to a slower burning powder will not be of any benefit in this application. WW296 is also a good powder for the 44mag. I got my best accuracy with it in several 44Mag rifles.Rick.

I used to shoot 240 grn Nosler JHP's out of a Henry Big Boy. Load was 23.5 grns of H110 in R-P brass and a winchester primer. I seem to recall those chronying ar 1560-1580FPS??
Real hard on porcupines and skunks, usually left a canadian $2 coin or half dollar sized exit hole that tapered down to caliber size for the first 4"-6" and opened to the 1.5"-2" exit.

have fun with the .44 and welcom to the forum, I'm sure you'll find the company here second to none.

JT.

lever.gun

All you need is a good firm crimp for consistent results. Give H110 a try. :wink:

JD338

Thanks for all the great advice. I guess I'll have to get some H110 and some W296, and some press and range time. I am really looking forward to running this experiment. If I can get about the same size groups I get form the Winchester factory ammo I'll be happy with the results.

lever.gun":1wgdj72b said:
Thanks for all the great advice. I guess I'll have to get some H110 and some W296, and some press and range time. I am really looking forward to running this experiment. If I can get about the same size groups I get form the Winchester factory ammo I'll be happy with the results.

Don`t bother buying a can of both.
The two powders are one and the same just packaged by different companies. ("H" by Hodgon, and "W" by Olin, both distrubuted by Hodgdon.
Get one or the other and enjoy.....

Back