44mag and 338Win

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
My two best friends on a bear hunt. Ruger M77 MKII 338Win Mag & Ruger SuperRedhawk 44mag

I went to the range today to begin my load work for my SuperRedhawk and my Ruger M77 338Win mag. Good beginning day.

IMG_9116.jpg

For the 44 mag as far as I am concerned it is very straight forward. I use a Cast Performance Heat Treated 320gr WLNGC - LBT design and lube, in front of 22grs of H110, Starline brass and 350 CCI primer.

Six rounds at 25yds moving at 1390fps on average and group is 1.306"
IMG_9110.jpg

The 338Win mag will be a work in progress. Today used 215gr Sierra in front of 72grs of H4350 moving at 2879fps with group size being .7335"
IMG_9118.jpg

Great shooting bullet. I really love those 44mags and looks like you have a shooter. :grin: :grin: :grin:

jmad_81":2vwh8a24 said:
Thats some pretty good handgunning! And a good start on the 338 as well.

Yes, good starting place for my 338Win Mag

GB300wm":2xzkm4j0 said:
Great shooting bullet. I really love those 44mags and looks like you have a shooter. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hey Jerry, it is a shooter and I can't wait to see your new S&W 44mag. :grin:

YoteSmoker":2as8qozd said:
Bullet that's a good group with the 44. Did you trade the SBH for the SRH?

My friend Mickey really liked my SBH and the Mernickle holster so I traded him for the SRH which was in fact a revolver I gave him 5 years ago. I really like the SRH better when it comes to push and shove because it allows me with it's longer cylinder to really throw some heavy bullets like the 320gr Cast Performance LBT style Heat Treated Solids, which is one of my all time favorite bullets for the 44 mag.

bullet,

I think you are there with the SRH 44 Mag. That is a serious load with a lot of power and penetration.

The Ruger 338 WM is good, bit I bet you caqn do even better!
Also take a lok at IMR 4350 an RL19. :wink:

Good start Mike!

JD338

JD338":2rmprfsr said:
bullet,

I think you are there with the SRH 44 Mag. That is a serious load with a lot of power and penetration.

The Ruger 338 WM is good, bit I bet you caqn do even better!
Also take a lok at IMR 4350 an RL19. :wink:

Good start Mike!

JD338

I will, use other powders and other bullets in the 338Win and I am happy with this Ruger which seems to be a good shooter.

With the 44mag I have had the pretty much the same results in a Ruger Redhawk using the 320gr cast bullet. Yes, it is a real big time penetrating bullet for sure, in one side and out the other and on most game in the chest and out the ham.

Both loads look prety good to me !
I Asume you are talking black bear ! Not That you are under guned for a griz but I would want a little more bullet thatn that for a brownie in the .338.
But for a black bear you are set. .75 and 2800 plus is fine , and should do real well.
That is a powerfull load in that revover.
I have not loaded for a 44 mag in a long long time, but it is a grand cartridge. If the right opertunity comes along I will have to buy another.
Like the SBH and the smiths. Nothing wrong with that srh except it ways as much as a rifle !
...tj3006

tjRoberts":1gsq5zhg said:
Both loads look prety good to me !
I Asume you are talking black bear ! Not That you are under guned for a griz but I would want a little more bullet thatn that for a brownie in the .338.
But for a black bear you are set. .75 and 2800 plus is fine , and should do real well.
That is a powerfull load in that revover.
I have not loaded for a 44 mag in a long long time, but it is a grand cartridge. If the right opertunity comes along I will have to buy another.
Like the SBH and the smiths. Nothing wrong with that srh except it ways as much as a rifle !
...tj3006

I wold use the 215gr Sierra on long shots on deer down a gas line. I am still going to try the 210 Par, 200gr AccuBond, and the 225gr AccuBond. Yes the SRH does cost but not as much as a Smith & Wesson, and yes this is a powerful load but I have not exceeded Hodgon's max load for this bullet and cartridge.

JD338":30kishy8 said:
Pop

Did you get some 210 gr PT's?

JD338

Finally found som on line from a guy. 23 of them is all I could get.

Back