Bog Pod Practice, Take II

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Okay - I'd run out of loaded 7mm Rem Mag ammo, so the Ruger Number One didn't make it to the range today, but the Bog Pod did. Last time that I was out with it, things did not go real well. But, I thought that before I made any modifications to the tripod, I'd do some practice, and give it another try.

Targets were just 9" paper plates, stapled up at 100, 200 and 300 yards. The familiar Rem 700 25-06 with the 6x Leupold is zeroed at 200 yards, with 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at about 3150 fps. From sitting, I fired three shots, one after the other, at each range. When I checked, I found a bullet hole in each plate. This is one of my favorite practice drills with a hunting rifle, rather than shooting groups I just try to hit the target under field conditions.
Tpk37Vyh.jpg

qYte4eWh.jpg

Reassured that I actually do know how to shoot a rifle, I moved on to shooting from standing position with the tripod extended to a comfortable height. This time I was just "plinking" at a basketball sized rock at about 250 - 270 yards. The 25-06 smacked it three shots in a row.
H5utQYlh.jpg

I turned to the 22 Marlin 39A and opened a box if CCI mini-mags. 100 yards standing, using the tripod, was no problem. 200 yards was... Challenging. But I made a couple of hits and three misses.
Xr73mNRh.jpg

And finally it was time to try the 30-30 Glenfield, which is set up with a Williams receiver sight. Remington 170 grain factory ammo was the choice. 100 yards was no problem, I was hitting towards the top of the paper plate until I remembered to not cover the plate with the front bead sight, but to take a six-o'clock hold on the plate. That helped! Then I grinned and tried that 250+ yard rock, from standing with the sights. Well, I didn't hit it, but I got pretty doggone close with three out of four shots. It was gratifying to see the hits so close to the rock.
14yhJhQl.jpg

It was a relatively short range trip, just a couple of hours. Thoroughly enjoyed, and shot pretty well this time. If hunting season was tomorrow, I'd do just fine with the 25-06 or the 30-30 rifle.

Regards, Guy

I snuck down to the range last weekend, between thunderstorms and was able in six shots to get my .25-06 and a smoking 87 grain Sierra varminting handload sighted in.

It’s been so rainy here for the past week that I got super lucky to even get that done.

Nice shooting Guy! It’s always a pleasure to vicariously go to the range through you! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filmjunkie4ever":p1txzfoq said:
I snuck down to the range last weekend, between thunderstorms and was able in six shots to get my .25-06 and a smoking 87 grain Sierra varminting handload sighted in.

It’s been so rainy here for the past week that I got super lucky to even get that done.

Nice shooting Guy! It’s always a pleasure to vicariously go to the range through you! [emoji6]

I've got a bunch of 87 grain soft-points that I pulled from 25-06 handloads which were given to me. I've never shot any bullets that light from my 25-06, sticking with 100 - 120 gr bullets instead. The velocity that can be achieved with those 87's is pretty danged impressive!

Ya, I enjoy my time at the range. The gun club is like a 2nd home to me. This morning I had time to take a few photos of what I was doing.

Guy

Nice practice Guy. Very practical replication of field shooting. The 9" paper plates is a good reliable target for that kind of practice. Keep them in that and you're in the vitals of a deer sized animal every time.

ShadeTree":2qafuljp said:
Nice practice Guy. Very practical replication of field shooting. The 9" paper plates is a good reliable target for that kind of practice. Keep them in that and you're in the vitals of a deer sized animal every time.

I buy a lot of them! Use 'em for hunting rifle practice and also at closer ranges for defensive handgun training.

They work well either way.

Guy

Sounds like a good practice range session Guy. I don't see many shooters at my range practicing field positions. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":51yeaczz said:
Sounds like a good practice range session Guy. I don't see many shooters at my range practicing field positions. Dan.

I don't see many doing so at our club either, but, it has picked up with the advent of our very popular NRL-22 and PRS matches. Those two disciplines require shooting from field type positions.

But... Most guys still just come on out and plop down at the shooting bench, some never try past 100 yards, though our club has ranges to 600 yards. Sigh...

I'm not as good as I was, but I still do pretty well and have an aggressive training plan for July & August. :) Physical conditioning and shooting.

Guy

Watched my brother take a pretty good poke at an antelope last year with the standing bipod sticks.
The previous one he shot off a mono pod rest but it was much closer.
I’ve never had a chance to shoot anything off the standing rests but have taken some animals with the sitting bipod shooting sticks. Lots of stumps for rests out here where I hunt so I don’t use the sticks often.

That 100, 200, 300 set up looks like a great practice session.

Just curious how long would it take you to set them up for a shot in a hunting situation?

Back