.45-70 Questions

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
This year I have the unique opportunity to use a friend’s Browning (BACO) 1886 Winchester .45-70 to fill my Antlerless Deer Tag. I don’t have dies nor the time for any extension load development so I’m going to use factory loads. Stopped into my LGS today and they had three choices all with a similar price tag.

1) Remington 405 grain JSP
2) HSM 405 grain Cast Lead Cowboy Action
3) Winchester 300 grain JHP

So my question is which load do you all prefer or recommend. There are so many here with a bunch of .45-70 experience I would like to tap.

The 1886 only has open buckhorn style sights which will work great for the mixed timber area I will be hunting. I shouldn’t have to shoot over 150 yards and have lots of time for range practice before the season starts.

What say ye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you're going to be hunting deer, I would opt to use the 300 gr Winchester bullets.
But, of course, use the ammo that the rifle likes the best.
The 405 gr Remington load is quite a stout bullet, and may not expand all the way, and just possibly will leave a .45 cal hole all the way through.
The cowboy load might be a decent deer load too.
But as I said, shoot whatever the rifle likes the most.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Ditto, whatever works best in the gun. I’d try Winchester for sure. The 405gn corelokt would be another. I use the Winchester with the Nosler CTBT(300gn). Lots of knock down and stay down power in the 45/70

I use the Nosler 300 gr. BST in my 45-70 for WT deer with very good results.

JD338

I can't imagine on a deer it would make any difference at all!

I'd probably use the Cowboy ammo...just cause, it's an 1886!

The Speer and Remington 405 are quite soft actually at least for Elk

I don't currently have a .45-70 but have had a few in the past and have killed a couple deer with them.
One of them was a doe with the 405 Remington. It did leave a .45cal entrance hole and an exit hole not much larger. In it's defense most other cartridges only leave a .45cal exit hole and a much smaller entrance hole. Those 2 holes also made 2 blood trails. Not that they were needed since she didn't go more than 50 yards.
Another I killed required a second shot due to a terrible first shot. It was a small buck that I hit waaay high, broke his spine and ruined 4" of one backstrap. That load was a 405 cast bullet over a full case of FFFg Goex Black Powder! Probably similar to the "Cowboy" load.
Another one was a decent buck that was eating corn with his vitals just behind a 5"dia. tree. I just needed him to take one more step. But I didn't have the patience to wait him out. So, I talked myself into, "I'm good enough to just miss that tree." I wasn't!! I hit 1/3 of the way in the tree, hit the deer in the throat instead and he ran almost 50 yards too. That was also with the 405 Remington load. It is loaded down enough to be safe to shoot in the old Trapdoors but don't let that fool ya. It's still got plenty of power for whitetails.

C.S.

FOTIS":2ahlsi54 said:
The Speer and Remington 405 are quite soft actually

That’s what I had heard. The store has several boxes of the 405 grain Core-Lokt on hand. Even though the majority here seem to admonish that I use the 300 grain, I’m leaning towards the Remington. Going to grab some and go shooting this week or weekend.

I only shot one deer with my 45/70, a large mulie doe at about 70 yards.

Used the 405 gr Remington bullet loaded to 1650 fps mv. High shoulder shot. Bullet went right on through, but dumped the doe on the spot.

That was quite a while ago. Those 405 Remingtons seem hard to find anymore. Maybe I should look again. :)

Guy

The 405 gr loads are typically around 1300 fps. The 300 gr load should be around 1800 fps. Any will whack a deer. They likely will not shoot to the same point of aim. I use 300 gr bullets because that's what shoots the best in my rifle.

I shoot a 45-70 in a Sharps copy and have killed a good number of deer with it mainly with cast bullets and black powder. I have used hand loads with 300 gr Sierra Hps with great success. You will find out when you go shoot those Rem 405s which only run between 1300 and 1400 fps which are safe to use in the old trapdoor Springfield that between 50 and 100 yards you will have a drop of about 5 to 6 inches. With a 100 yard zero it will drop about 12 inches at 200 yards. You have to know your yardage and ballistics when shooting these sloooooow heavy slugs. Also remember just because they are slooooow they are still heavy and will penetrate unbelievably so know for sure what is on the opposite of what you are shooting.

Is there a good or great American-made 45-70? I know several foreign-made 45-70s are high quality, but I’m particular about American-made rifles while I can still get one.

Shiloh Sharps makes "QUALITY" but $$$ 1874 style rifles and Henry makes a leaver action and I guess Marlin still makes their leaver action in USA.

joelkdouglas":1bgn1l2p said:
Is there a good or great American-made 45-70? I know several foreign-made 45-70s are high quality, but I’m particular about American-made rifles while I can still get one.

There are a lot of Ruger #1s and #3s out there...

joelkdouglas":28gn22b4 said:

Bill has a #1 in 45-90 I’ve been eyeballing for years. May need him to bring it to camp.

I’ve wanted to have a 45-110 built for awhile. Got cold feet and backed out but I need to reengage.

I wanted C Sharps to make one. Thought it’d be a fun rifle for elk in a few of the places we hunt.

Back