45-70, to much pressure

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I recently got some Barnes 400g Originals for my .45-70 Govt in my NEF. I loaded up 3 at 45g IMR-4198 and shot them at 100 yards. After the 1st shot I inspected the case as I usualy do with all reloads. I noticed something what I think is unusual. Above the rim, about 1/4" it feels like one side of the case is bulging out. This happened to all 3 cases. THe 3 shot group was stopped after 2 shots were 6" apart, the 3rd was shot at a boulder, that was pretty fun. Other then that, the primers weren't flattened or sooty or anything, or further indicating high pressure. What do you guys think?? This load is not even a MAX load according to Hodgon website under the lever-action loads. About 2g less I believe.

Try indexing your cartridges and see if the bulge is in the same spot on consecutive rounds. Could be a bad chamber.......Just a thought

Remmy,

I'm thinking it is a concentric chamber issue. Have you tried any other loads through your rifle? If these are the first shells you have shot, than I am in agreement with GB300wm. Try indexing the next batch of shells you run through the rifle.

Is this bulge noticeable by visual inspection or just feel? Have you measured the case with calipers? Maybe you can post a pic of the brass.

JD338

It sounds like a bit of expansion at the web/case wall junction [pressure ring for those who measure it]. The brass expands to fill the chamber and the web being solid doesn`t. The thinnest side of the case wall expands the most, that`s why it appears only on part of the case. I doubt it is anything to worry about if no other signs of pressure are present..

Thanks guys. Seems like the common response is that I have a sloppy chamber and one of the sides is worse then the other... Its not really to noticable, but enough that you can tell when you look for it, and definately when you run your fingers over it. Not sure if you'd be able to tell much by a pic...

I guess my next question is, are the cases still good, or should I toss them?? Will the FL die resize them back to normal use, or should I just trash them?? Thanks for the help guys...

BTW- I"ll be dropping a few grains on these. Dont need to push them to hard, I doubt a deer or elk will notice the difference...

They sure do rock a bit though, thats for sure, LOL. I got scoped 2 of the 3, and that was using a lead sled, not real bad, just enough to let ya know!! Cheap Tasco scope though with no eye relief, if I was using the Bushnell elite 3200 I would've never got scoped, but I did'nt wanna camo that scope, so the tasco is on there...

Back