Henry 45-70

Are you using a brass bead front sight with that rear peep sight?

That's not optimal. Sometimes it's hard to correctly center the brass bead sight. I use one rifle that way, but I shoot it mostly at close range. A good post type front sight yields a more defined sight picture.

FWIW, Guy

Are you using a brass bead front sight with that rear peep sight?

That's not optimal. Sometimes it's hard to correctly center the brass bead sight. I use one rifle that way, but I shoot it mostly at close range. A good post type front sight yields a more defined sight picture.

FWIW, Guy
Depends

Indeed.

But he's getting some high shots... And sometimes with a round brass bead, the sight picture can change a lot.

So, a post sight is often preferred for accuracy. You won't find any brass bead front sights at a rifle match with targets at longer ranges.

The good old round brass bead is however, excellent at providing a bright front sight for quick, close range shooting. Say in many hunting situations.

Regards, Guy

It is a brass bead front sight. The target I used allowed me to cover the black area and have a black ring around the edge of the bead. (hopefully that makes sense) I have a similar set up on my muzzleloader and can shoot a 3 shot group at 50 where all 3 are touching. I think right now, I need to mess with the load.

I too, have used a rear peep with a brass bead up front, pretty small bead. Like an archer, I sight in with the bead centered on the target, not above or below. Now this way on my muzzleloader, but in the old days I had it on a handy sporterized 7x57. With the right sized bead, taking into account the trajectory of the load, it can be aimed efficiently out to 250 yds.+. That's if the eyes cooperate - they don't do as well anymore!

On rounds like the 45-70 when you have a group with a few hitting high, can you change the seating depth to bring the group together? Or would you try a different charge first. I picked the middle charge from my Lee manual with the 405 hard cast and H4198. Book max is 31.0 gr.

On rounds like the 45-70 when you have a group with a few hitting high, can you change the seating depth to bring the group together? Or would you try a different charge first. I picked the middle charge from my Lee manual with the 405 hard cast and H4198. Book max is 31.0 gr.
It's not practical to change the seating depth much. A little is fine, but the loaded rounds need to be pretty close to factory specs for overall length in order to function properly through the action. There's a crimp groove/cannelure on most .458" bullets, which is a great indicator of where it's supposed to be seated & crimped.

Guy

It's not practical to change the seating depth much. A little is fine, but the loaded rounds need to be pretty close to factory specs for overall length in order to function properly through the action. There's a crimp groove/cannelure on most .458" bullets, which is a great indicator of where it's supposed to be seated & crimped.

Guy
Thanks. I used the Lee/Hodgdon website C.O.A.L. as my measurement. It hit right in the crimp groove of the bullet. I will try bumping up the charge to 30 and 31grains and see what 5 of each looks like. I might need a different powder with the 405 hard cast from what I'm reading.

I have Varget, H335, IMR 4895, IMR 8208xbr and IMR 4064 which are all listed on the Hodgdon page.

Last edited:
Gotta love the 45/70. Mine has more time in my hands than any of my other rifles. Every morning and every night during my 20 year guiding career I carried mine for three to five miles, getting the dogs a little run. Killed a lot of porcupines but never had to shoot a grizzly. Close a few times. Nothing but a fine double carries better than a lever gun in my opinion.
W/t that is a fine looking rifle, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
My rifle is set up with Skinners sights, post front, RL 7 pushing a 400 grain Barnes “buster” Dang thing was hell on porcupines.

A thin German silver blade sight will give a very precise sight picture and aiming point.

A few things, first among them being congratulations on the fine new rifle. I have a Henry - all weather, is it? - an older one, without the side gate. I really do like it, but find it to be just a bit too long to be a well-balanced rifle. I find that when loading the 405 grain hard-cast, it's easy for me to seat them too far out to cycle properly, so bear that in mind. Likely just a me problem, but worth remembering. I have yet to use it on anything that bleeds (other than my wallet 😐), but I wet a t-shirt and used it as an ad-hoc target. You could positively hear the thump when the bullets hit.

Enjoy it and use it often. Nothing quite like a big bore lever gun.

Yup WT- that is a handsome rifle! Should work really well over there in Wisc. woods, or anywhere else you want to take it. CL

I was going to ask if it was "enough gun" for porcupines... ;)
Never felt under gunned against porcupines; However, there were many evening strolls down our road that were punctuated by close contact with a grizz. Many times the bear was walking down the road straight at us. I would put the dogs at heal and move off into the tundra about 20 yards or so. It’s a lotta rifle but I sure didn’t want to pick a fight.

I shot again last night with 40gr of Varget and the 405 hard cast. I shot a 2.8" 5 shot group at 50 yards. I've been using the trapdoor loads to keep the recoil down and so far it is a joy to shoot. I would like to keep recoil, but I'm willing to step it up if it produces smaller groups. My question is, what would you hope to shoot for a group at 50 yards with a peep sight?

WT,
2.5" @50 yds is pretty good. I'm guessing most of your shots will be 25-75 yards.
Myself I would want 3-4" groups at 100 yds so half of that at 50 but that's just me. Also keep in mind that in low light situations, your range will be reduced. That's why I use optics.

JD338

I'm having a blast with the 45-70. I loaded up 5 rounds this morning with 45.0gr of Varget and shot them after work. the first 4 shots made a 1.632" group at 50 yards. I shot the last shot off hand just to see how good I was. I don't think Varget it the best option for the 45-70 but for now it will work for deer season. Next spring, I hope to test a few powders that are more efficient. I'm seeing some un-burnt kernels of powder.

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 6
Back