Henry 243 long ranger

So here’s tonight test. I am not a great rifle shooter ok. I am primarily a recurve hunter so keep that in mind.

I shot 42 and 42.5 in IMR 4350 and H4350

I had on loaded at 41.5 in the bottom right target.

Just let me know what you think.

Thanks Jer
So, you've raised a valid point: "I am not a great rifle shooter." I don't know how you quantify that, but any time you are evaluating accuracy, you need to take yourself out of the equation as much as possible. Otherwise, you don't know if the issue is the gun, the ammo, or the shooter. The shooter needs to be consistent with breath, trigger squeeze, and sight picture. At the very least, be able to call it when you have a twitch or flinch that affects the shot. If you have reason to doubt your skills, then maybe a Lead Sled or similar apparatus would be helpful.

Just my .02.

Brian

If you have some IMR4831 might give it a try with a 100gr bullet. Did about an inch in the last 243 I had. Dan.
I don’t have either😩 so I am trying make what I have work… there’s got to be a sweet spot in what I tried last night

The 41.5 ( only had one made up though) looked pretty good… the IMR at 42.5 and the H at 42.0 seemed to group so I will make 4 of each today and test.
Cleaned brass last night so I should be able to figure something out today and tomorrow based on those hopefully.

Not ez to find powder and bullets here locally always have order online.

Thanks a bunch Jer

So, you've raised a valid point: "I am not a great rifle shooter." I don't know how you quantify that, but any time you are evaluating accuracy, you need to take yourself out of the equation as much as possible. Otherwise, you don't know if the issue is the gun, the ammo, or the shooter. The shooter needs to be consistent with breath, trigger squeeze, and sight picture. At the very least, be able to call it when you have a twitch or flinch that affects the shot. If you have reason to doubt your skills, then maybe a Lead Sled or similar apparatus would be helpful.

Just my .02.

Brian
I have a lead sled so I think it’s pretty consistent but my eye sight isn’t what it used to be now at 67 and cataract surgery.

If I can get the groups honed in then I can get a load zeroed and it should be good enough for the boiler room.

Like I said earlier my shots will probably be under 100 and mostly around 30-50 yards around here for deer especially muleys.

I shot two does last year ( whitetails and muleys) with my bow and a cow elk ( rancher reduction program) 😉 with my 45-70 so I am confident I can do that again.

The 243 was just another option and I would like to do some wolf and yote hunting with 55 grainers but that’s a whole different scenario.

Thanks Jer

What kind of scope are you using? Does it have enough magnification to be precise with your aiming?

So I loaded up
4- IMR 4350, 42.5grn
4- H4350, 42 grns
3- IMR 4350, 41.5 grns

100 yards

First shot was the 42 grains of H4350 so I shot a bit left of the final group but at 100 yards on a 6” plate I am happy with that grouping

Cleaned the gun

Next was the 42.5 grains of IMR 4350… like that grouping and just about right for shooting zeroed at 200 later ( but need to zero at 50-100-200 later)

Next was the 41.5 grains of IMR 4350. Not so great.

So it’s a toss up on the first two but the IMR seems better but then I have to factor in it being temperature sensitive ( or atleast that’s what I have heard).

So good for now

I will load 12 more of the 42.5 for zeroing and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the input guys… really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 752ABE8F-2CE9-4351-A95C-35E4F93B7C4F.jpeg
    752ABE8F-2CE9-4351-A95C-35E4F93B7C4F.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 8
  • EF176C7A-72E2-45DD-A21C-0F354BE9EEF2.jpeg
    EF176C7A-72E2-45DD-A21C-0F354BE9EEF2.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 8
  • BB93066B-1D99-4ED4-9B53-629C609E85C5.jpeg
    BB93066B-1D99-4ED4-9B53-629C609E85C5.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 8
42 grains of H4350 has been my go to in the 243 with the 95 nbt and the 95 hornady sst. For what it is worth, maybe the flat base sst will shoot better, most usually do but don’t have the higher bc for obvious reasons, not that it makes too much difference inside 300. Both of those bullets will be fine for deer. In fact I am not sure why nosler made the AccuBond in the 243 when the 95nbt is such a great deer bullet in its own right. Good luck.

42 grains of H4350 has been my go to in the 243 with the 95 nbt and the 95 hornady sst. For what it is worth, maybe the flat base sst will shoot better, most usually do but don’t have the higher bc for obvious reasons, not that it makes too much difference inside 300. Both of those bullets will be fine for deer. In fact I am not sure why nosler made the AccuBond in the 243 when the 95nbt is such a great deer bullet in its own right. Good luck.
That’s all the bullets I could get at the store I was at

I wanted 95 partitions but they didn’t have any.

So I got the 90’s

Just a quick thought looking at your targets, and you probably already have, but maybe check the screw tension on your scope, bases, rifle etc.
All tight. I think most of it’s me. Not the best trigger finger and eyes😳. If I can get them centered I will be happy and it will be a close shot up to 100 yards

I can get that close to anything after bow hunting for 55 years🤪

That’s a Purdy sight… all cleaned and ready to load

Starline

Attachments

• 68CD805D-89EF-45FC-91E5-00449FA438EB.jpeg
    68CD805D-89EF-45FC-91E5-00449FA438EB.jpeg
    1,005 KB · Views: 15
You seem to be getting 2 out of 3 shots close together. Appears consistent doing that on two of the loads. Might consider seating the bullets a little deeper, see if that makes any difference. Possibility your rifle just doesn't like that bullet. It's plenty good enough to take all the deer you want. I'm sure you will find something that will provide tighter groups with some different components. Dan.

You seem to be getting 2 out of 3 shots close together. Appears consistent doing that on two of the loads. Might consider seating the bullets a little deeper, see if that makes any difference. Possibility your rifle just doesn't like that bullet. It's plenty good enough to take all the deer you want. I'm sure you will find something that will provide tighter groups with some different components. Dan.
Yeah I could fiddle some more but for right now I will see if I can get the windage good at 50 first then try 100 and if I can get it 2” high there I will feel good if I had to take a longer shot out to 200 but I would test it first.

Thinking of getting some 100 partitions cause I found some online.

The factory 100’s seem to fly nice.

Thanks everyone for all you help… I will try shortening a couple just to see

Right now their at 2.645 ish

Hey gang my 100 grain Nosler Partitions showed up.
So I only have IMR 4350 and H4350 for powder

So if some has load data for that criteria only can you please post ( Henry Long Ranger 10:1 twist).

Just though I could work up a load for that too now.

Thanks Jer

Your 1:10 should stabilize anything up to about 100gr. My bolt gun (Marlin XS7) has the same twist, and I shoot the 95gr BT and 100gr Sierra GK quite well. As for deer,

This one was with the 95gr BT:

View attachment 23128

This one was with the 85gr Sierra GKHP:

View attachment 23129

I've killed them with the 100gr Sierra GK, as well. There are lots of choices besides the Accubonds for deer.
Those are nice bucks bud

Back