45 acp reloading oddity

Newysan

Beginner
Jan 4, 2009
For general practice all the empty brass goes {unsorted}into the coffee can for reloading. Serious shooting and brass is sorted etc. Started having problems with primer fit. Looking at the problem brass noticed it's marker "win nt" which to my knowledge is the Winchester line of "non toxic" ammo. Apparently it uses a special primer as large pistol primers do not fit and believe me I tried. So, cull all the win nt brass and all's well in reload land. I am not sure whats up here but think twice before purchasing as relodability is questionable. Maybe someone else has run into this problem. Thanks. Newysan Don't trust a government that does not trust you to own a gun.

GB300wm":1gbm0pz8 said:
Some 45 acp cases use the small pistol primer. :grin: :grin:

Yep, they take a small pistol primer. I toss them just to keep them from causeing headaches when I load. I never seem to have more then a couple at one time anyway. They somehow get mixed in with my empties at the range every so often.
They are however reloadable, just a pain to sort

GB300wm":1gzrf0ij said:
Some 45 acp cases use the small pistol primer. :grin: :grin:

I did not realize this! Explains why there was one case I had (Federal I think)
that wouldn't take a primer. I threw the case away.

JD338

So can somebody please explain how a smaller primer makes it safer to shoot indoors. Primers contain chemical compounds which can be manipulated to achieve the desired results in regards to air pollution, and how they function. How does a smaller SIZE primer have any effect? Does the smaller size help the factory keep it all organized? Seems like a big waste to me as I know I will not be sorting my 45's in regards to primer size. Just think how much perfectly good brass is headed for the s--t can. What a poor choice on Winchester's part, in my humble opinion. Newysan. Don't trust a government that does not trust you to own a gun.

I just read an article about this...I, also, had no idea. Although no "real" conclusions were developed in the article as to why some .45acp ammo used small and others used large pistol primers. I think it is one of those cartridges that fall right on that line as to the necessity of large rifle pistol primers, but yet, will work fine with the small pistol primers. It was suggested to NOT throw out the small pistol brass as it tended to have a longer life (if I remember correctly). But to sort your brass accordingly (almost hinting that this would become the norm)...I have not run into the small pistol primer stuff yet...and probably would not go through the trouble of trying to sort...

If I remember correctly, that isn't just a "small" pistol primer. The NT stands for NON-TOXIC, which probably means it has a special mixture to remove the toxic attributes of regular primers. I think the explosive compound in regular primes is lead azide (lead being bad), the NT has some other compound. Either way, toss the Win NT brass.

Comp shooters typically use the cases with the small primer because the logic here is more consistency. Small primers tend to be a little more consistent and in their world, it makes a difference. :grin: :grin:

Back