45 acp target load

5.5 gr Win 231, and your choice of bullets from 185 gr all the way to 230 gr have provided excellent accuracy in my 1911 Springfield and XDm 45. I've somewhat settled on the 200gr LRNFP bullet style for overall best weight and bullet profile for both of these guns. I also prefer the Fed 150 Large Pistol primer.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Hegland":1dajvlh1 said:
normo":1dajvlh1 said:
5.5 gr Win 231, and your choice of bullets from 185 gr all the way to 230 gr

+1. I also use Federal match primers.

+2 with a 230 gr FMJ bullet. Accurate and clean burning in my Kimber.

JD338

Thanks guys.

So if I order .452 bullets those are fine to shoot in a 45 auto? And I can also use large pistol primers in a 45 auto. Just want to make sure since I already have both of these for my 45 colt. thanks for the quick info

The Nosler 185 custom competition is a very good grouping bullet from my Rock River 1911 and I too use them with around 5 grs of 231. I use a variety of cases and primers but they all shoot well. I highly recommend them. Check the pro shop for seconds.

yes .452 dia bullets work in the ACP and will likely work in the 45 Colt, especially new or newer made 45 Colts, both shoot large pistol primers.

If you get some of the new "cleaner" 45 ACP ammo or once fired brass from it, some those cases could have small pistol primer pockets. So if you dont catch it when cleaning and sorting cases don't force a primer that wont seat easily, give the primer pocket a look.

I shoot the 200gr .452 in the ACP and go with 250gr .452's in my 45 Colt. I love them both.....
Good luck and enjoy.

I ordered a bag of new Remington .45 ACP brass. Do they have large or small pockets?

Hard to go wrong with a cast lead 200 gr SWC bullet over a modest charge of a fairly quick burning powder in the .45 ACP. 231 & Bullseye have both worked well for me, as has Unique - although it's pretty sooty.

Large pistol primers were the norm in that cartridge for a hundred years, but now there are some cases using small pistol primers. The Remington brass you ordered should have large pistol primer pockets.

Back