45 ACP

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I am starting to pick some things up for reloading my .45 ACP. I thought I'd seen some recommended loads, but can't seem to come up with them on the search.

Any recommendations for loading 230 gn bullets?

Thanks,

Long

Lead or jacketed bullets? Charge weights can vary because the lead bullets slide down the ol' barrel more easily.

In the .45 ACP I've happily used:

Unique - dirty as chimney soot, but accurate and with good velocity

W 231 - not nearly as dirty, meters very well through the powder measure

Bullseye - produces Very Quick action on the slide - high accuracy potential - my favorite & most used load is a 200 gr LSWC over a fairly stiff charge of Bullseye. Excellent accuracy at acceptable velocity and the pistol works very crisply. A little Bullseye goes a long way...

With these fairly fast burning powders it is important to be Very Careful to avoid a double charge.

I just use standard large pistol primers and a taper crimp.

Long,

I load my 45 ACP with 230 gr FMJ bullets, 5.4 grs W-231 and W-W primers.
Accurate and fun to shoot out of my Kimber.

JD338

I shoot a tamed down load, 5.0 Gr. W231 under 200 Gr. SWC for the steel challenge with a tricked out Para P14-45. Very accurate with very low recoil for quick recovery for next shot.

Win 231 is great, I've been shooting it for years. I have recently been trying both Unique and Red Dot, both of these shoot well for accuracy, but are on the dirty side.
preferred bullet is a 200 Gr LRNFP.
Fed 150 Large pistol primers, and what ever brass I have on hand to load.
I also use a Lee Factory Crimp die on the rounds to ensure reliable feeding in both my 1911 and XDm. I think the extra step is worth it, no malfunctions since I began using it.

Thanks. I picked up a couple of powders but see I need to pick up one or two more.

Long

Back