458 Lott/350TSX Pet Loads

texas

Beginner
Apr 3, 2009
Anybody got a pet load for this combo using H4198 or IMR 4064? How about using TAC or Varget?

Barnes doesn't even give any 350TSX loads in their manual, just 450gr and 500gr TSXs.

And I can find no 4895 (H or IMR) to buy... and my TAC won't be here for another several days. I have H4198, Varget and IMR 4064 on hand, and I am itching to hit the range.

TIA!

Texas

Oh yeah, POP, I have that info tucked away for future use! I haven't found any on-line or local merchants with any H4895 in stock - so I have an 8 lb. keg of TAC on the way! I think it may well be as good or better (cleaner burning?) than H4895. Looks like it is about the same burning rate.

Thanks for all your help!

350 gr. Barnes TSX
85 grs. IMR 3031
CCI 250 primers
OAL 3.64 in.
2720 fps.
Ruger #1
This is a max load in my gun and you need to work up slowly and watch for pressure signs.
I hoped this helped. Be careful! It's easy to overload.
Greg

Thanks, Greg. I have filed that one for future use also, I haven't found IMR 3031 in stock yet either. I will, though.

How does the Lott shoot in the No. 1? Is the recoil very heavy in that rifle? How much does the rig weigh?

My CZ is fairly heavy, and I'm hoping not to get kicked into New Mexico!

POP kinda has me worried the way he describes his 350gr TSX load!

Good shooting!

Texas

Just so there is no misunderstanding:
If you or I put 5800 FPE on your sholder it will kick.
Recoil systems (aka) Muzzle breaks, work on exiting gasses.
In other words a 300 RUM with a 150 gr. bullet at 3500 FPS would have a significantlly greater recoil reduction than a 300 RUM with 220 gr bullets at 2800 FPS. That's because The higher velocity gasses hit the muzzle brake with more RESISTANCE to maintaining velocity than lower velocity gasses.
Greg

texas":7e3gj0el said:
Thanks, Greg. I have filed that one for future use also, I haven't found IMR 3031 in stock yet either. I will, though.

How does the Lott shoot in the No. 1? Is the recoil very heavy in that rifle? How much does the rig weigh?

My CZ is fairly heavy, and I'm hoping not to get kicked into New Mexico!

POP kinda has me worried the way he describes his 350gr TSX load!

Good shooting!

Texas

It is not that bad...but you know it is there

Well, I was really kidding about the recoil paranoia on my part. I'm sure the Lott will have a bit more "snort" than my 375H&H, but I have found that heavier rifles are a big help with medium and large bore calibers.

I don't use muzzle brakes. I don't like the extra noise and dust cloud. And my hearing is bad enough from my jet engine noise experiences.

For grins, test fire a 338WinMag Tikka T3 Lite with full-house loaded 250 or 300 grain Woodleighs. That recoil level is what I refer to as "snort." I like my Tikka, I like my 375, I think I will really like my Lott!

Thanks again for your responses!

Regards,

Texas

Back