Loading for a friend's .308

Nothing like wanting the freakin' Holy Grail ! But, it's not out there. Either it will be too light for Elk, or to stout for Yotes. I'd go with the middle ground and a good reliable, controlled expansion bullet, the 165 AB. He'll just have to give up on the idea of not putting a Hole in a Yote.....

shoots_5":3uekt0ue said:
Ok.....now he threw me a curveball and said he would also like to use it for elk and just wants one load to use from coyotes up to elk. I'm thinking the new hornady 178 eld-x might be a very good longish range do all bullet in the 308.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This last January I used a 30-06 and the 165 gr. AccuBond on a cow elk. One shot and the elk died. Never finished the load work up so velocity was only 2780 FPS. Very accurate though. Probably come close to that speed in a .308 with the right powder. I haven't loaded for the .308 in years and the working load was for a Ruger M77 RSI with 18.5" barrel. Velocity was a whole 2550 FPS. Took me two years to find something that would consistently do 1.5 MOA for that rifle. Finally it was a very stiff load of W760 and the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core. That load, slow as it was one deer killing load. Only recovered one bullet and that one hit a Mule Deer at 250 yards head on just under the neck and ended up in a rear ham. It's been at least 14 or 15 years since I've even drawn a deer tag in this state and even longer for elk. I do believe I'd use that load for elk if the shot was 200 yards or less and I wanted to use the RSI.
Paul B.

Try Hornady 150 GMX bullets and varget powder I reload for a friend who has a rem 700 heavy barrel 308 with a suppressor and that thing flat kills with those GMX and holds 1/2" groups all day long with varget and those bullets from a 26" barrel.

Killed deer out to 450 and just flattens them.

Lots of ideas to try.....thanks! As for too stout of a load for coyotes, there's no such thing! Could care less about how big a hole it makes in them. It's just something to hunt in the winter months and helping out the deer population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered my SPS varmint. Planning on chopping the barrel to 22" and running the 7.62sdn.

I'll have to try those GMX's after I blast through the 500 Btips I have. My dad shoots them in the .280 and loves them.

Back