308 Loads

CTFlatlander

Beginner
May 17, 2020
Hi -

I've asked for help on the forum so I thought I would post some info that hopefully could help someone else. My goto for 308 is a 165 Nosler BT over 45gr of Varget. In a 22" Ruger 77 I get 2700fps and it is super accurate. I also have a 20" Hill Country Harvester Plus that gets 2640fps and is constantly around 1/2" for 3 shots. I get basically the same performance out of the 165 AccuBond.

So with the powder issues over the past few years I tried working up different loads. This is a summary of what I found as I get started with this:

Alliant 2000MR, 47.5gr gave 2700 fps in the Ruger
Alliant ARComp 41gr gave 2705 fps in the Ruger
IMR4166 41gr gave 2459 fps in the Hill Country
IMR4064 44gr gave 2583 in the Hill Country

This was just to look for pressure and see if the velocities would be close to Varget. Also if there were any significant red flags. Based on this initial set of testing, all looked decent except for the velocity with 4166. None of these loads had any pressure signs. 4064 was very accurate at 42, 43 and 44 grains with predictable increases in velocity and point of impact. I will do more accuracy/statistical testing and use these as a starting point.

Hope this helps

Tim

I'll pass on the details as I've posted them before. I'll just add that ot was a load in a rifle that will shoot decent groups with nothing else.
A 165 gr. Speer Hor core over 49.0 gr. W760, Winchester brass and Winchester WLR primer. Caution, max load in the book.

According to my published data source the load gives 2640 FPS and 50K.C.U.P. Max load.

For the "stubborn" rifle, a Ruger M77 RSI, FWIW, velocity is 2550 FPS from an 18.5" barrel. Accuracy run 1.25 to 1.50" Change any one of the components including another brand 165 gr. bullet and accuracy goes right down the toilet.

For a Winchester M70 with 22" barrel, velocity is 2610 using the same components. Accuracy rin from .75" to 1.0". I never tried using different components in the M70. I look at is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

FWIW, that load has taken quite a few deer using the RSI as it's my favorite deer rifle. The load has worked on deer as far as 250 yards and at that range I wouldn't worry about using it in on an elk if that was what in my hands at the meeting.

Again, caution, max load in the book. Drop back about two grains and work up.
Paul B.

For quite a while I had three 308's here:

20", 24" and 30" barrels... It was interesting seeing what the various handloads and factory ammo would chronograph from each of them.

The 30" was a "Palma" rifle that I used for both prone and across-the-course competition.

At that time Varget typically provided the highest velocity from all three rifles. I'm trying to remember if there was a powder that beat it, and can't remember any, at least not of those I tried. I still have the 24" barreled rifle, and can likely talk my son into letting me use the 20" barreled rifle. The 30" is long gone.

Regards, Guy

As an aside, back in about 2016 a family friend bought a Ruger American in .308 to go elk hunting. After mounting a Redfield (Leupold version) scope we sighted in with a handful of factory rounds.

Then we switched to some 180 grain handloads and the first three shot group was just under .5”!

The load featured 180 grain Ballistic tips on top of 43 grains of IMR-4064 seated to book OAL. Man that Ruger shot well with that load!

He took his first elk, a spike bull with that gun and combo that fall! Still hunts with it today!

For quite a while I had three 308's here:

20", 24" and 30" barrels... It was interesting seeing what the various handloads and factory ammo would chronograph from each of them.

The 30" was a "Palma" rifle that I used for both prone and across-the-course competition.

At that time Varget typically provided the highest velocity from all three rifles. I'm trying to remember if there was a powder that beat it, and can't remember any, at least not of those I tried. I still have the 24" barreled rifle, and can likely talk my son into letting me use the 20" barreled rifle. The 30" is long gone.

Regards, Guy
IMR 4895 was the powder of choice for years in Palma in the 308 Win. Reloader 15 and N140 newer powders had a small following. IMR 4064 small token of shooters used it. Benchmark made a appearance one year. Today I beleve VARGET is the powder to beat in Palma and US Army Shooting Team.

For Deer hunting the Sierra GameKing 165gr has served me well over the years with 45 grains of Varget in WW brass in of 308 Win. along with 44.0 of IMR 4064 a old favorite Army match load with 168 MK.

Last edited:
My department was kinda stingy with practice ammo so I would load 1000 to 1500 rounds for my duty rifles to augment my training. I used Varget in three different rifles, over 20 years with great results.

Hi -

I've asked for help on the forum so I thought I would post some info that hopefully could help someone else. My goto for 308 is a 165 Nosler BT over 45gr of Varget. In a 22" Ruger 77 I get 2700fps and it is super accurate. I also have a 20" Hill Country Harvester Plus that gets 2640fps and is constantly around 1/2" for 3 shots. I get basically the same performance out of the 165 AccuBond.

So with the powder issues over the past few years I tried working up different loads. This is a summary of what I found as I get started with this:

This was just to look for pressure and see if the velocities would be close to Varget. Also if there were any significant red flags. Based on this initial set of testing, all looked decent except for the velocity with 4166. None of these loads had any pressure signs. 4064 was very accurate at 42, 43 and 44 grains with predictable increases in velocity and point of impact. I will do more accuracy/statistical testing and use these as a starting point.

Hope this helps

Tim

Cool beans. That's good info. I just picked up a 308 recently and initial loads with 46gr of Varget and 150's shot right handy 1/2" the last time I tested it. I got plenty of 165's, and plenty of Varget and IMR 4064 so I'll have to see how it does working up to your loads with that.

My department was kinda stingy with practice ammo so I would load 1000 to 1500 rounds for my duty rifles to augment my training. I used Varget in three different rifles, over 20 years with great results.
Cool beans. That's good info. I just picked up a 308 recently and initial loads with 46gr of Varget and 150's shot right handy 1/2" the last time I tested it. I got plenty of 165's, and plenty of Varget and IMR 4064 so I'll have to see how it does working up to your loads with that.
Easy
Varget makes it easy 45.0 with 168MK and 175Mk
WW brass is great because of capacity
CCI BR2 primers 2.801”
If hunting you can substitute MK with 165gr AccuBond or Ballistic Tip

Hi -

Hope this helps

Tim
45 Varget and 44 of IMR 4064
165/168 most excellent in 308 Win
Used these loads for years

Same thing here. That's why I started handloading for the 308 Win. I hadn't owned one until 1995 when I was assigned to the team. The only way for me to get enough ammo for training at that time was to handload it myself. Thankfully the department let me keep all the spent brass. That helped. Bought dies, powder, primers and bullets and sought to match the velocity, accuracy and trajectory of the 168 grain Federal Gold Medal ammo we were issued. It wasn't hard to replicate that.

Federal cases
Federal match primers
Sierra HPBT Matchking bullets
45 grains of Varget

I was just reloading on standard RCBS dies and getting pretty doggone good results. Shot some matches, did pretty well.

Not too long after that I got some handloading coaching from a fellow who'd done really well in Hunter Benchrest competition. He sold me on trying the Wilson inline dies and a little arbor press. That became my standard way to load for the 308 for a long time and did produce even more accurate ammo. Shot more matches. Did better.

When it came time to hunt, I just substituted a good 165 grain hunting bullet leaving everything else alone.

It's been a long & interesting journey with the 308 Winchester cartridge. :)

Regards, Guy

Before I started reloading my stuff , back in the mid 80’s my cousin was loading IMR 3031 for me with 150gr SPs. Don’t remember the load , but it shot good.

Guy I think I was using the exact same load. I loaded 1500 rounds for an advance class down at Ft. Lewis in 95. We were at one of the 1000 yard ranges when Timothy McVay struck in Oklahoma.

Not to hijack this thread but did any of you use milsurp brass at all? I have a ton of it and several hundred Sierra BTHP’s in 168 grain. I have Varget, 4064 and some W748, was wondering just how much less powder a fella needs to use with these cases versus commercial.

The only milsurp cases Ive done much with have had 5.56 headstamps rather than .308. All my .308 experiences are with using commercial brass.

Back