Bullet choice for a .308 Win. back-up elk rifle.

Those small portable winches come in handy too.
A lot use them here to get off sand bars with jet boats when hunting . Also come a long winch works good !
Not to be overly needy :) but if you get a chance, could you maybe post some boating pics? I'm trying to get enough saved to pick up a jet boat, but man, you think reloading is expensive, jet boats are several magnitudes worse!
Boat: a hole in the water in which you pour money
Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Not to be overly needy :) but if you get a chance, could you maybe post some boating pics? I'm trying to get enough saved to pick up a jet boat, but man, you think reloading is expensive, jet boats are several magnitudes worse!
Break
Out
Another
Thousand
Same can be said about horses...

JD338

Great picture! I am really interested how you got two elk underneath the meat pole and lifted right up. Obviously, didn't drag them back to camp... Lol.
Kawasaki mule brother

these were shot 6 miles from camp.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand
image.jpg
This is me on Yukon River with my River Jet Boat Woodridge Alaskan and Grumman Canoe going Moose Hunting on Wood River.

The boat man's 2 favorite days???????

The day he buys one and the day he sells it.

Thanks Fotis! Mules are good in the absence of a horse... Wyoming I gather?

Back up rifle?? Probably won’t even leave the case. Leave it as is with the 150. Elk have been taken with less.

Back up rifle?? Probably won’t even leave the case. Leave it as is with the 150. Elk have been taken with less.
My young neighbor and friend, Caleb T., is going to Montana with me in 2023 to elk and mule deer hunt. His primary rifle will be a Sako A7, chambered in 300 Win. Mag., loaded with my 180 gr. AccuBond handloads. Since he is right-handed, and I am left-handed, it would be awkward to share a back-up rifle. I have decided to load some rounds for his .308 Win. in case he has a problem with the Sako 300 WM. I already load 150 gr. Ballistic tips for his 308 Win. with which he and his family have used with great success.

I guess my question concerns whether or not we need a bonded bullet at .308 Win. velocities?

Out reloading choices are limited in that we have to load to magazine length and the only powder I have suitable for the .308 Win. is Varget.

I have the enough of the following bullets on hand (or can get) to develop a load for him.
  • 165 gr. BT
  • 165 gr. AB
  • 165 gr. Hornady CX
  • 180 gr. BT
  • 180 gr. AB
  • 180 gr. Sierra Game King
  • 180 gr. Hornady SP flat base
Keeping in mind that the primary rifle is a 300 Win. Mag. and it would be great if the 308 Win. load could later be shot up hunting whitetail deer, which bullet would you pick as a back-up elk load for the .308 Win. and why?

Thanks for your thoughts. Dan
165gr AB @ 45.5 in WW cases
180gr AB @ 44.1
Varget

Attachments

• 87FB4932-13F1-4CEA-916E-47CF76EDFAE7.jpeg
    87FB4932-13F1-4CEA-916E-47CF76EDFAE7.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 12
My young neighbor and friend, Caleb T., is going to Montana with me in 2023 to elk and mule deer hunt. His primary rifle will be a Sako A7, chambered in 300 Win. Mag., loaded with my 180 gr. AccuBond handloads. Since he is right-handed, and I am left-handed, it would be awkward to share a back-up rifle. I have decided to load some rounds for his .308 Win. in case he has a problem with the Sako 300 WM. I already load 150 gr. Ballistic tips for his 308 Win. with which he and his family have used with great success.

I guess my question concerns whether or not we need a bonded bullet at .308 Win. velocities?

Out reloading choices are limited in that we have to load to magazine length and the only powder I have suitable for the .308 Win. is Varget.

I have the enough of the following bullets on hand (or can get) to develop a load for him.
  • 165 gr. BT
  • 165 gr. AB
  • 165 gr. Hornady CX
  • 180 gr. BT
  • 180 gr. AB
  • 180 gr. Sierra Game King
  • 180 gr. Hornady SP flat base
Keeping in mind that the primary rifle is a 300 Win. Mag. and it would be great if the 308 Win. load could later be shot up hunting whitetail deer, which bullet would you pick as a back-up elk load for the .308 Win. and why?

Thanks for your thoughts. Dan
I have no problem using a RH rifle myself (I am a lefty). Not a big deal
From the list, the 165 AB.
I have killed a lot of elk with bullet weights in the weight and lighter (140's in 7mm and 6.5).
Elk are not armor plated, but of course they are bigger than deer. Go for double lung, and you will have a dead elk every time.
I would even use a 150 grainer...

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. This is what I have so far - four shot group. :)

DSCN1702.JPG

Color me happy.

Again, it was good that I "started low and worked up". It turned out that the HSM brass has less case capacity than other brands of brass. But, I didn't know that until I had shot some and measured case capacity. My "starting load" turned out to be much faster, and according to QuickLOAD calculations, much higher pressure, than I had expected. However, since I "started low" I was safe.

Here is the range of case capacities for some of the .308 Win. brass I have measured:

Rem. = 56.65 gr.
Fed. = 55.8 gr.
Hornady = 57.5 gr.
Hornady (diff. batch) = 57.0 gr.
HSM = 55.0 gr.

My QuickLOAD projections show a significant difference in pressure between a case with 57.5 gr. water capacity and a case with 55.0 gr. water capacity.

Jezzolo, you may very well be right that the back-up rifle will never leave the case. However, my experience, and my observations of other's experiences, in the location where we hunt has shown that falls and other accidents are common. Both Rol_P and I have had to take the time to check our zeros after falls and other accidents. Last fall my zero was knocked off and required some range time to adjust. Rol_P's rifle fell and he switched rifles. Previously In 2019 my zero was also knocked off. I have decided that I would rather take the time now to work up loads for back-up rifles than take the time to check zeros during a five-day hunt. Just my preference.

Also, it gives me the excuse to play at my favorite hobby. I mean what else would I be doing if I weren't playing with Caleb's rifle?

Dan

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. This is what I have so far - four shot group. :)

View attachment 19211

Color me happy.

Again, it was good that I "started low and worked up". It turned out that the HSM brass has less case capacity than other brands of brass. But, I didn't know that until I had shot some and measured case capacity. My "starting load" turned out to be much faster, and according to QuickLOAD calculations, much higher pressure, than I had expected. However, since I "started low" I was safe.

Here is the range of case capacities for some of the .308 Win. brass I have measured:

Rem. = 56.65 gr.
Fed. = 55.8 gr.
Hornady = 57.5 gr.
HSM = 55.0 gr.

My QuickLOAD projections show a significant difference in pressure between a case with 57.5 gr. water capacity and a case with 55.0 gr. water capacity.

Jezzolo, you may very well be right that the back-up rifle will never leave the case. However, my experience, and my observations of other's experiences, in the location where we hunt has shown that falls and other accidents are common. Both Rol_P and I have had to take the time to check our zeros after falls and other accidents. Last fall my zero was knocked off and required some range time to adjust. Rol_P's rifle fell and he switched rifles. Previously In 2019 my zero was also knocked off. I have decided that I would rather take the time now to work up loads for back-up rifles than take the time to check zeros during a five-day hunt. Just my preference.

Also, it gives me the excuse to play at my favorite hobby. I mean what else would I be doing if I weren't playing with Caleb's rifle?

Dan
Perfect combination you have there👍

View attachment 19211

Color me happy.

Rem. = 56.65 gr.
Fed. = 55.8 gr.
Hornady = 57.5 gr.
HSM = 55.0 gr.

Dan
WW brass for that capacity !

Back