4X or 6X

Tooter

Beginner
Oct 23, 2009
My brother picked up a pre-64 Mod. 70 featherweight in .270 for me. I'd like to keep the classic personna going by adding a fixed power Leupold. I'm a farmland whitetail woods hunter with an occasional mule deer or elk hunt in Colorado. I am definitely not a member of the long-range crowd, as I normally have a 2-7X scope when I use a scoped rifle. I am leaning toward the fixed 6X and was wondering if any of you guys thought that I'd be much better served with a 4X.

Six power should do you quite nicely. The only draw-back that I can imagine is when you are forced to take a very close shot. However, in my experience, that would be exceptional, except from an ambush situation, such as from a tree stand.

If you're used to 2-7x, I'd think about the answer to one question:

Where do you set your current scope(s) when hunting?

If it's less than 6x, I'd go with the 4x scope. I have a 4x on my Win94 30-30WCF and I've never been underglassed out to 200yds. I suspect, were the rifle capable beyond that mark, 4x would do nicely for out to 400yds or more. Where I hunt, when I'm in the woods (as opposed to on a bluff overlooking a big woodlot or out on the fields on top of the mountain, I keep everything down at the lowest power setting, which is 4.5x or below on all my rifles. I managed to get a running buck at ~60yds this year, with my 4.5-14x44 Conquest on 4.5x. I'd have had more trouble acquiring and tracking him on 6x, I believe.

I don't think either would be bad, but for me, in the woods of Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and the like, where I've hunted in my lifetime, I could easily make do with a 4x.

Go with the six power, I have killed a deer exactly 10yds from my deer stand while hanging in a tree and the deer was easily acquired and clear. Also, shots out to 400yds you can place your shot better with the 6x power. Own both 4x and 6x. When using my 2,5-8 is is usually on 6x especially at low light for both detail and low light work and not have to play with my scope. Never have I had a problem acquiring my target after I have already positively identified it when using a 6x. You will be happier with the 6x.

Leupold FX II 6x36mm
fc9051a3-78de-42b2-b524-5cee5033adf3_zpsb85dacfe.jpg

Exactly 8 yards with 6 power and I can not put my arms around this tunk, this is a 65ft yellow pine tree.
file-100.jpg

Exactly 5 yards with 6 power same tree as above
file-101.jpg

Of course you would have had to hunt a lot with a 4x and 6 power to know how well they bring in light due to less lenses and they are stronger and you don't have fiddle with the scope.

For the 270 I think either would be awesome. I'm running a little M8 4X on my sons 243. Pretty easy to make hits out to 300 probably further, just haven't had the chance to stretch it out.

Sounds like an awesome rifle though.

Tooter I have used a 6x for just about everything and have not had a problem finding my target in it at close ranges. I have a 10x on my 257 Rob and have made 600yd hits on groundhogs along with 10yd hits, it depends on the shooter and what you are willing to get use to. I like my 1.5-5 Leupy and keep it on 1.5 unless I have a long shot or need to see horns on a white tail. The 1.5 setting allows me to keep both eyes open when I have to shoot at a moving target or when the target is up close.

I can honestly say that with my aged eyes, at any distance, I appreciate whatever magnification I can get.

I have a 6 power scope and really like it, like mentioned above it is better at close range than people think.

That should prove to be a wonderful hunting rifle! Congrats.

Two different 6x Leupolds top a couple of my hunting rifles, both by Leupold.

The 36mm obj version looks sleeker on the rifle, and though mine is an older scope, it still has impressive performance.

The 42mm obj version has a huge "eye box" or area behind it where the shooter can place his eye and still have it work out. The 42mm objective gives this scope superb low-light performance. It's a good scope, though somewhat larger than you might want on a classic rifle.

Either are good. I'd recommend taking the rifle into a well stocked gun shop, and seeing what each of them look like on it, or at least looking through the two different 6x's.

Along with a few of the other guys, I can say that the 6x has worked out real well for me, and for my son. He clobbered a whitetail buck using the 6x, at about 20 yards. Maybe 25 yards. No problem. I zapped a coyote at 420 yards, no problem. The 6x is a fine hunter's scope.

Regards, Guy

I think a 4x would be a good pairing. I just mounted an old 4x Burris on my 1949 .270 Model 70 standard. Here she is next to a couple other pre 64's I have.

And here is the type of groups capable at 100 yards with a 4x. I was experimenting with jump off the lands with 130gr accubonds. The group at the top is a three shot 1/2 inch group.

Nice shooting Pat. I'm looking at SWFA's 6X with turrets for my sons 243. Looks like a nice scope and the SWFA sounds like they come with good glass.

JD338":sxcac9cv said:
Nicely done Pat.

JD338

Jim, did you expect any less from 3 good looking Model 70's? Those things almost shoot themselves! :lol:

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like there's not that much difference between 4X and 6X at the closer ranges. Leaning heavily toward the 6X36mm. Thanks again.

Tooter, I think you are making a wise choice in going with the 6X good luck.

Blessings,
Dan

Back