55 grain NBT .243 winchester

Buckshot

Beginner
Mar 24, 2007
This bullet is an outstanding performer in my Rem 700
SPS 243 win. I use 45 gr. IMR 4064 and shoot on average .22 inch, 3 shot groups @ 100 yards with my standard sporter weight gun. I had to get a special
bullet seater from RCBS as the one that came with my full lenth die set cut a ring in the bullet when seating these little speedsters. :grin: :grin:

Any details to add? Speed, performance on game, species, etc... I am thinking of trying these and the 58 v-max if they are good on coyote pelts. So far I have only shot prarie dogs and rabbits with 70 tnt's. Very spectacular!

Buckshot,

Nice shooting! Sounds like you have a great load.

JD338

Yotesmoker, I had no problem getting the 55's up to 3800 fps from a 22" barrel 6mm Remington. They literally evaporate rockchucks on impact! :grin: I didn't get all that great of accuracy with them, while the rifle did shoot the heavier 70 - 105 grain bullets well, so I've gone back to the heavier bullets. Have to admit though, that the 55's were spectacular!

Buckshot":1rbm2jvd said:
This bullet is an outstanding performer in my Rem 700 SPS 243 win. I use 45 gr. IMR 4064 and shoot on average .22 inch, 3 shot groups @ 100 yards with my standard sporter weight gun. I had to get a special bullet seater from RCBS as the one that came with my full lenth die set cut a ring in the bullet when seating these little speedsters. :grin: :grin:

I've had great luck with the 55 gr CT Ballistic Silver Tip and the garden variety 55 gr. BT in my 6 mm Rem. My favorite load is 45 gr IMR 4064, which produces great accuracy at a lazy velocity of around 3650 fps (I've pushed the velocity of these babies over 4000 fps using other propellants, but don't feel a compelling need to do so -- 3650 is pretty darned fast.)

My best 3 shot group was, as best I can determine, 0.08 inches at 100 yards (I framed it, hung it above my computer screen, and I cycle through being proud of it, inspired by it, and pissed that I haven't been able to duplicate it yet, though I have shot a fair number of 0.3 groups). Most of the time, I'm about 0.5 MOA.

The rifle is a sporter weight Mod. 98 Mauser with a 24" SS barrel by Gary Schneider which has a 1:12 twist.

Any rifle that consistently shoots .22 inch groups has my respect -- and I respect the rifleman who can take advantage of it even more.

I broke 4000 fps with the 55's using win 760 and H414.

They were very accurate from my Savage 243 10 FS

The load I use in my moms ruger mk2 s/s w/22" barrel is a full case of H380, (seriously.) I just take a funnel, pour a spoon full of powder and swipe the case even and seat a bullet. Gets 4100fps, no $hit. Shoots .75" at 100 yards, good enough. Shot a few coyotes, always dropped, sometimes left nasty entrance wounds, but no exits. They vaporize squirrels and rabbits...Very flat shooting...

Back