6.5 Creedmoor load development

if it has an accuracy guarantee , I think I'd send it back . it seems like the basics of the rifle is all ok . you've tried a few different powders and bullets , and factory ammo didn't shoot either .

the only other thing I can think of is the barrel free floated ? try pulling a piece of paper through it . not all rifles come free floated though .

It may be a shot in the dark, but load up some where you found the nodes and shoot them without the MagnetoSpeed attached. On most of mine the magnetospeed will generally cause the POI to shift a little high, but the group size isn't changed to a large degree, but maybe some barrels are more sensitive to it being attached??? Although I'd still think the charges within a node would group together, unless the MagnetoSpeed is "loose" on the barrel and moving around.

I can tell you. My magneto speed is invisible on my Savage barrels, but definitely there on the Winchester. Win it opens the groups and moves poi.
Savage harmonics don’t seem to care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My magnetospeed raises my POI about four inches at 100 yards, horizontal stays the same. This is with both Howa rifles, one is 24” heavy barrel the other 26” heavy barrel. It does not seem to affect accuracy of the load though.

Looking back at the target. 9/10 and 13/14 are close in velocity and close on the target. With a change in load for every shot I wouldn’t expect to have the whole group tight or an I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You’re correct.
When you want them tight is when they are all one load, powder grains etc.
They will certainly open up using various powder weightings.

I loaded up some more ammo and shot today. I went with 41.7 gr of RL17 and loaded 6 rounds with CCI200 and 3 rounds with BR-2 (hindsight: should have loaded 6 of each). I shot both types of primers at 100 yards and ran the CCI200 load at 200 yards. It appears as though using BR-2 primers helped quite a bit. I am going to load up some more with the Br-2 and see if it will replicate and see what it will do at 200 yards. I really wish I would have loaded 3 more to try at 200 but oh well. Here are some pictures.
CCI200 at 100 yards
1949baf4dc57259fbad78e4874cfe594.jpg

CCI200 at 200 yards
907c76091f4b77d2407bd562e0c37b85.jpg

BR-2 at 100
fb6922ec2f8c162835ef7dab03d93b1f.jpg

Thank you for the insight thus far! Anymore advise is always welcome.

I don’t recall, are you annealling the necks? If not add that. The candle method is sufficient to improve consistency. Your gun does seem finicky...

I have yet to anneal Creedmoor brass. The past few rounds of development have all been once fired brass. But I do have a batch of 3x that i will anneal. Thanks for the suggestion! And yes, finicky is an accurate description!

Annealing does help. I annealed hornady brass after every firing. Peterson brass I’m running now seems to not be as finicky. I anneal it after the 2nd-3rd firing. And the candle method works fine.

I realized I never updated this thread, sorry for that! I sent my rifle back to Bergara last fall to be checked out. They did not find anything wrong, said they cleaned excess copper out of the barrel and re torqued the actions screws (both of which I did prior to contacting them). They sent it back with a .8 inch group using ELD-M. I re mounted my scope and sighted it in and shot a group with Precision Hunter ammo, it printed about 1 moa (see picture). I figured I’d roll with it and started with some previous load that showed promise. I landed on a load of H4350 and 140 ballistic tips going about 2750, and fairly consistent MOA at 100. At this point I decided to leave well enough alone as it was good enough to shoot stuff! It is by no means a one hole rifle, but I have taken it to 800 on steel and have killed 4 coyotes with it, 3 of which were over 400. I can’t argue with hits on steel and dead coyotes, so I’ll keep running it until I feel like tinkering with other loads.
381dd9fc20e1c0bed8f091177ece2d22.jpg

Have you tried lighter bullets? It may prefer them and frequently the speed increase will offset the b.c. discrepancy, at least to 800 or perhaps even further. I kind of think too many default to the heavies when a lighter bullet may do as well or perhaps better. But maybe that’s just me. :grin:
Check it on JBM. May work.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

I did a lot of development with 130 accubonds and had similar results to the 140s. I had some decent results but nothing spectacular. I did not try anything under 130 though. The one thing I can say is, 140 btips are hell on coyotes! Dropped another with it this morning at 438 yards. Those bullets hit them hard!

Back