6.5CM deer bullet choice

My wife has a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. I worked up a load with the 129 gr ABLR and RL17 that shoots sub MOA. She has made hits on the 800 yard gong with it as well.
On WT deer, it's awesome.Her first deer kill was a big dry doe that ran about 50 yards. She has shot several more out to around 300 yards and they have all dropped in their tracks.
This is the only bullet that we have used in her 6.5 CM.

JD338
JD how do you think the 129 gr ABLR will react at less than 100 yards compared to the 130 ACB? Reason I am asking is that I shot a good buck this past season and he went over 200 yards with the 129ABLR. Being honest it was a quick shot I hit him almost dead center of his body. I know the shot placement could have a lot to do with how far he ran. He was only about 60 yards away bullet went right through him.

Attachments

• Big 8.jpg
    Big 8.jpg
    934.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
JD how do you think the 129 gr ABLR will react at less than 100 yards compared to the 130 ACB? Reason I am asking is that I shot a good buck this past season and he went over 200 yards with the 129ABLR. Being honest it was a quick shot I hit him almost dead center of his body. I know the shot placement could have a lot to do with how far he ran. He was only about 60 yards away bullet went right through him.
Nice buck mike06!
My experience with the ABLR on game covers several calibers and weights... they almost always drop in their tracks, lights out. I think you should have no problem if you put that bullet center mass lungs.

JD338

Brian,
I’ll be the outlier here and say that I’d go with the lighter & faster bullet. I too hunt where there’s a lot of brush and have pretty well settled on 120 gr. bullets whether in my 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor for deer hunting here. I like the bit of additional speed and have found that I get quicker kills which is a real plus in recovering the deer I shoot. So I would say use the the 130 gr. Sierra. Either is more than tough enough for deer which really aren’t that hard to kill. Recovery can be a bit of a challenge if they run and I’ve had shorter death runs with the lighter bullets.
Norman
Dad said he like 130 Gr. Speer Bullets in his 7mm Mag, partially for this reason. Most things were DRT at the velocities they could generate. CL

In our family we have been taking deer with a 6.5 bullet for almost 56 years now.
All 140gn - Core-lokt, NBT, NPT, NAB. On deer any decent bullet will work. Now of the two you have I really like that Gold Dot in its various forms. I've just not used it in a 6.5 but have no reason to believe it will not be a great bullet.

I use the controlled chaos and so far, I am happy.
Tiny groups with the Savage Storm, too. But took a while to get there.

Nice buck mike06!
My experience with the ABLR on game covers several calibers and weights... they almost always drop in their tracks, lights out. I think you should have no problem if you put that bullet center mass lungs.

JD338
I meant to also tell you that I am hunting with a AR10 6.5 with a 20 inch barrel and here is the reason why I need to get off quick shots.

Attachments

• hogs2024.jpg
    hogs2024.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 12
135 gr. bergers do pretty good on the couple critters I have used them on.
zid610K.jpg

ckh9MKI.jpg

4 shots at a grand, not shabby for a gas gun and very little load work
cDYFz8y.jpg

Yup, the 6.5 Creedmoor is up to the task, as your photos demonstrate.

I have used a few bullets in a couple different 6.5's and the 147 ELD has worked really well on deer. Lots of great options, but I tend to use that bullet lately since it is available is usually very accurate as well. At 6.5 CM speeds it works really well.

Back