6,5mm Bee is here and scoped

April, you are reading my mind. Because of school and work I have not had a chance to really research this, but at first blush, it will push a 140 gr bullet further, flatter and faster than a 120 in the 257, or a 140 in the 270 or 7mm weatherbys. with a recoil less than I am use too.. Since we have not yet spent any money, it has perked my interest.
My great uncle is in the process of collecting data for me to read on my work breaks or at school during a boring lecture.

Fotis will you use this rifle on your moose and bear hunts. Why do you favor the 130 over the 140 Thank you Brooke

Brooke, I am sure Fotis will be along to answer your questions soon. IMHO if your hell bent on using Swift, I would use the Scirocco 2 for your sheep and goat hunts, but undoubtedly the A frames will work. I would be more inclined to use the A Frame on moose, and brown bear.

If you look back through the thread which I know you have little time to do, you will see that Fotis has said he will get around to the larger stuff, but the 130;s is what he has on hand, so my gut feeling is he has not yet made a final decision, but again I am sure he will be along soon to speak for himself.

I have to admit this rifle/caliber is something to think about. It is a beauty. Fotis, from memory you have all the Weatherby calibers, so I am sure you have a 257. If you had neither the 257 or 6.5 x 300 and could only buy one, which would you choose. I think this is what Brooke is actually asking you

April the SAF is a great bullet and unless you shoot at very long range (which you stated medium range) is will serve you very very well. They have a tendency of being very accurate also.

Fotis, you say the 142g LRAB didn't hold up well for you. Could you tell what happened when you tried them? The reason I ask is I have a box of them and also a box of 129s. I'm still waiting for dies for my 6.5-300 and if they don't work I don't want to waste brass and powder. Thank you.

I shot an antelope last year with one. Used a ruger #1 in 264 win mag at 3150 fps. Shot him at 401 yards through the neck. This is all that was left.

It does look that bad until you realize it is 54.5 gr and compared to an unfired one

That looks beautiful Fotis!!

That should be a nightmare out on the plains.

What do you think it weighs all scoped up?

Can't wait to see what it does when you get it out.

Exactly 10 lbs 3 ounces ready to go.

That sir, is an impressive rifle for "American Plains Game."

I think you'll be very pleased! Enjoy that thing!!!

Weight loss on a bullet intended for smallish game like 'lope and deer? That's fine by me.

Regards, Guy

I would definitely not call it a failure buy any means but at 400 yards I expected an exit or at least 60% weight retention. Had it been a big muley at 100 yards then I do not know.

130 Accubonds for the 6.5 bee

Thanks for info on the 142 ABLR, I would have expected an exit at that range. I think a 140 BT would have exited from my experience with them. I think I will get some 130 and 140 AB and start my load work up with them as I seem to kill a lot more deer inside of 300 yards than farther out. Also if I had to use it on a big bull elk I would have serious doughts about the ABLR penetration.

I look forward to see the 6,5wby results. I would love to have one of these. I would however load mine with 110-120grain bullets only. The game I would hunt weighs less than 80ibs and 70grain @ 2600 ft/sec would do fine. Such a caliber as the 6,5/300wby is for small game for + 500yards. Set the zero for 380+400 yards with a max loaded 110grain its morer or less a dead hold out to 450yards. A pronghorn/springbok etc doesn´t need more anyway.

Sorry Fotis for being a little late but that looks like a great set up my friend (y). I am sure that she will serve you well.

Blessings,
Dan

Welcome to the 6.5-300 Bee Club, hopefully you will have some more QLs for us in the future!!! You have my vote for president, very nice setup!!!

Back