6.5x55

boomer68":3tc1hqio said:
0ddc5cc75733aaae3a98ef3481441e06.jpg

Ok, pics to prove it :)

Okay, officially envious! :mrgreen: A lovely rifle. No doubt a joy to use. (y)

ElmerThud":225og5c2 said:
I have a Steyr Mannlicher Classic stutzen in 6.5x55 SE and been doing some testing since I bought it last year.
Currently I have regular 1/2"-3/4" groups at the range with the load I use. That's using a rest of course, but it makes me smile. :grin:

I'm using the Hornady 123gn SST bullet and the load goes: Primer CCI200, Propellant IMR4350 x 45.8gns Approx OAL 3.090" & Comparator OAL with the above bullet 2.572"
Works for me, but I haven't yet shot any deer with it...
for some reason or other, my .25-06 keeps falling into my hands when I go hunting!

You need to shoot a deer or two with that stutzen!
You'll be grabbing it more often after that!
No offense to your tried and true 25-06...
But you will quickly fall in love with hunting with your 6.5 Swede!

Blkram":3dxd5jta said:
ElmerThud":3dxd5jta said:
I have a Steyr Mannlicher Classic stutzen in 6.5x55 SE and been doing some testing since I bought it last year.
Currently I have regular 1/2"-3/4" groups at the range with the load I use. That's using a rest of course, but it makes me smile. :grin:

I'm using the Hornady 123gn SST bullet and the load goes: Primer CCI200, Propellant IMR4350 x 45.8gns Approx OAL 3.090" & Comparator OAL with the above bullet 2.572"
for some reason or other, my .25-06 keeps falling into my hands when I go hunting!

Ha yes, I definitely should. Next weekend I’m off to Scotland looking for a roe buck, so I’ll take it with me. It does shoot so well and ok to carry. (y) Pic attached.

Attachments

• 421CAD55-FFF0-4D23-92AF-C66AE159195F.jpeg
    421CAD55-FFF0-4D23-92AF-C66AE159195F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,390
ElmerThud":3cyelp5d said:
Blkram":3cyelp5d said:
ElmerThud":3cyelp5d said:

Ha yes, I definitely should. Next weekend I’m off to Scotland looking for a roe buck, so I’ll take it with me. It does shoot so well and ok to carry. (y) Pic attached.

Very nice rifle! Love the full stock.

boomer68":1wgruloe said:
ElmerThud":1wgruloe said:
Blkram":1wgruloe said:
ElmerThud":1wgruloe said:

Very nice rifle! Love the full stock.
(y) thanks (y)

Beautiful rifle!

If I could just find a left handed one!
I know they have made them as I have seen a pic of one owned by a fellow here in Canada. And he ain't sellin!

Blkram":3jyutt63 said:
Beautiful rifle!

I know they have made them as I have seen a pic of one owned by a fellow here in Canada. And he ain't sellin!

From time to time I do the same Gil, would love to find one of the fiberglass versions.

gerry":hc0ve5t7 said:
Blkram":hc0ve5t7 said:
Beautiful rifle!

From time to time I do the same Gil, would love to find one of the fiberglass versions.

Yes, I believe those are the Professional model. Green or brown stocks.

Got some Lapua brass and need to pick up some 140 BT. Going to mount a Bushnell Elite 3500 3-9x40 DOA on it initially.

gerry":2592bdmv said:
Boomer have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

Not yet gerry. Waiting patiently for the snow to go away so I can get out to the range. Hopefully soon though.

Update....

Got out to the range yesterday and I need to go back to the drawing board with loads...lol

Loads were a tad on the hot side and had a blown primer. Was using RL22 and the following bullets.

Hornady 129 SP
Swift 130 Scirocco
Berger 140 VLD

Patterned like a shotgun except for the 129.

Dang, that stinks. Any idea where you were at speed wise?

Noslers book data is pretty good for the 6.5x55 but there are a lot of variables with brass and such.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for the chrono) I didn’t get speeds. I picked up some 120BT and 130 GameChangers and going to drop my charges down and work up slowly. My data was from QL, and I did start at the lower end of the scale but I guess not low enough. Stopped shooting when the primer blew and had hard bolt lift.

If it's any help Boomer68 I can supply info on my own load for my Steyr Classic Stutzen 6.5x55SE

Load data:
Cases Norma F/L sized & trimmed 2.156"
Fired case Headspace in my rifle: 1.771"
Primer: CCI 200
Powder: IMR4350 x 45.8gns
Bullet: Hornady 123gn SST #26173 .. Crimped LFC die.
Nominal OAL: 3.092" =/- .002"
Bullet Comparator dimension: 2.542"

MV & energy not measured yet, but it takes reds down PDQ

Attachments

• Steyr Classic Stutzen 02.jpg
    Steyr Classic Stutzen 02.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 381
  • Steyr Classic Stutzen 01.jpg
    Steyr Classic Stutzen 01.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 381
Thanks for the info ElmerThud. Heading out this weekend for round two. I have some RL19 to try with the 120BT. Will post my results.

Back