6.5x68 Imp

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
Well the dog was throwing up at 4:30am yesterday morning and I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and built my 6.5x68 Imp. It a Remington action, Krieger Light Palma 28" barrel, one of my brakes, and a Jewell trigger. I have a HS precision stock that has a bedding block and a full 1.25" straight barrel channel that I threw it in to fireform some cases. I'll get it bedded into the Manners EH-1 stock over the next couple days and take it out to see how it does. The case capacity went from 81grs in a unfired 6.5x68 case to 90grs with a light load. Fully formed it should pick up another grain roughly. A 6.5-300wm in Nosler brass is just under 91grs so they are really close to the same capacity but the RWS brass from the 6.5x68 will handle a lot more pressure and I'm sure the velocity will be a bit higher. I'm hoping for 3350fps with 140's but 3300+ would be fine too. I could have gone the easy route and just built a 26 Nosler but I like the best brass I can get and RWS is it. Plus the 26 Nosler wasn't around yet when I started collecting brass and dreaming this one up.

The picture shows why the case picked up so much capacity. Basically it went from slightly less than a .264wm to at least the equivalent of a 6.5-300wm with a longer neck and no belt.

Attachments

• 6.5x68Imp.jpg
    6.5x68Imp.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,124
EOL is working with Berger on heavier 6.5mm and 30 caliber bullets in the 155gr and 245gr range. I wanted to have enough hp to drive the 155. I'll run the 245's in my 30-338 Norma Imp or my 30-338 Lapua Imp if a 10 twist is enough for them at my altitude.

That sucker looks awesome Nathan!

Man, that is just cool and 140's at 3300+ is pretty awesome. Can't wait to see the finished rifle.

If I can get it to shoot there is at least an antelope tag that will get put to good use with it. I'm sending a bunch of bolts off this week to get fluted and when they get back I'll send the whole action off to get nitrided along with some other stuff. Then I'll post pictures.

I have a couple hundred 143 ELD-X bullets I'll probably torture test in it.

Who knows I might build a .30 caliber version :lol: . I sold the 300wm I just built myself to my buddy before I even shot it and then turned around and ordered 2 more #5 .30 caliber Brux barrels. I've got to do something with them :mrgreen: .

Nathan, you never quit my friend (y).
I am looking forward to the range report on this new 6.5 along with a few photos :wink:.
Thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

Back