6.8 western 170 gr BTs

Not that I'm aware of. I had to guess a bit with them from Hodgdons data. It develops pressure at a lower charge weight than the 170 gr Berger. I just started low and went up slowly.

That’s the only published data that was close I could find. They have a start load of 52.7 gr. Was that your start point?
What did your Max load work out to?

Looking at the data you must be looking at H 4831 sc which has a starting load of 52.7 gr. I haven't tried that powder yet but did work up with Magpro and Retumbo and the 170 gr Ballistic tip and ended up a couple grains less than the Berger data. It could be my gun too since I am a bit less with the 175 gr Sierra TGK than what Hodgdon calls for. Your gun might be a bit different so you'll have to work up slowly and watch for signs of pressure. If it were me I would start with 52 gr and go from there. Lots of guys here can help with where would be a good place to stop if you haven't questions. Please keep us up to date on how it's going.

Update
I finally got to the range. Brought too many rifles. Anyway I loaded some start loads. I started at 52gr of H4831SC and got 2500’ .
Next trip I’ll bring loads of 53gr up to 57 gr and see where I end.
Accuracy was very good. I just need velocity now.
Oh the rifle is a Seekins PH2

That's a good start. You should be able to get a fair bit more speed. From what I have read it looks like you won't get as much speed with H 4831 sc as the slower burning powders but the accuracy is usually excellent. I'll have to try it in mine with the 170 gr BT.

Is there any published loads for the 6.8 western using nosler 170 gr BTs?
TIA
Nosler has not published anything yet. Lee has published data for 170grn jacketed bullets with their Pacesetter dies. The higher velocity powders they list are Retumbo, MagPro and Ramshot Magnum.
How have you made out so far with your loads? Cheers

Nosler has not published anything yet. Lee has published data for 170grn jacketed bullets with their Pacesetter dies. The higher velocity powders they list are Retumbo, MagPro and Ramshot Magnum.
How have you made out so far with your loads? Cheers
Going to shoot tomorrow for velocity .
Accuracy with the start load was very good. I have 5/6 loads working up to max. Will see where I top out . Hoping for about 2800 fps, but I never get hung up on a set number.

Ex , most people want 3000 fps or better out of a 130gr in the 270. For my Simillion 270 I got 2910 fps . For that load , anything above that and accuracy degraded. I called 2910 good enough. That load killed a boatload of game!
90 fps wouldn’t have killed them any deader.

Promising …..
OAL2.860
Powder H4831SC
54 grains 2595fps
55 grains 2637fps
56 grains 2602fps
57 grains 2738fps

I’m thinking I mixed up the 55 and 56 grain loads, as the velocities don’t make sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 7
That looks good. You would be golden with either the 55 or 56 grain load. I suspect that you could make up a test with 55.5 grains and be content. The difference in velocities is negligible.

Back