6mm / .243 Deer Bullets

Both the 85gr and 100gr Sierra game king worked very well for me. The 100gr SBT easilykilled more deer for me than any other bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll add another vote for the 90gn BT/AB, 95gn BT and of course the 100gn PT.
We've taken many deer with these and throw in a few elk too.
Like many are saying - It's where you put it that's important. It's assumed the bullet is at least a well proven hunting bullet.

Behind the shoulder meat-saver shots apparently just inherently run the risk of a short tracking job.

All the bullets mentioned will result in a very dead deer, but you asked about DRT and in my opinion when dealing with a 6MM that has everything to do with how close you usually shoot deer and what is proper shot placement to you.

If you shoot a lot of deer close to moderate range and like shoulder anchoring shots then bullets like the Partition, TSX, and Core Lokt's mentioned would be excellent choices. But don't be surprised if you employ a meat saver shot with a stouter bullet and a diminutive caliber like a 6MM and see no visible sign of any shocking power. I killed a lot of deer with the 100 gr core lokt with excellent results on shoulder shots, meat saver shots resulted in a dead deer but almost always required some detective work following it first.

If you like the meat saver shot then more explosive and frangible bullets like the 95 gr BT, the 85 gr HPBT Sierra GK, the 100 gr Sierra GK, would be what you're looking for. Out of these the 95gr BT is the stoutest bullet on the backend. The 95 gr SST would be another 1. The majority of these bullets would likely penetrate enough to anchor a deer on a close range shoulder shot if you had to, but you would also likely have a REAL mess.

The 6MM is capable of routine DRT results but you have to know the caliber and what you're limitations are with the bullet you choose if DRT is what you're looking for. I killed a decent sized buck last yr close range, with a meat saver shot using a Hornady 87gr HPBT and it was like I clubbed him with a cement truck. But I knew going into it that was the only shot I was willing to take. A shoulder shot close range was off limits.

That's good info ShadeTree. I've got great accuracy with the 85gr SGK HPBT. Pinpoint accuracy with Berger 105gr HVLDs and 95gr Classic Hunters too. I'm curious if there's such a thing as a meat-saver / Berger combo.

drakehammer":3sjotalj said:
That's good info ShadeTree. I've got great accuracy with the 85gr SGK HPBT. Pinpoint accuracy with Berger 105gr HVLDs and 95gr Classic Hunters too. I'm curious if there's such a thing as a meat-saver / Berger combo.

Can't speak to the Bergers but if you've got a good load worked up with the 85 gr SGK HPBT and you shoot deer at normal ranges then I'd look no farther if I were you. At least to start. If you go to midway and put Sierra 6mm bullets in the search box, you will see that the 85 gr HPBT by far has the most reviews of the Sierra bullets for that caliber, and I'd say 95% of the reviews are 5 stars. It's been a known and proven deer killer for quite some time now.

90gr Nosler AccuBond. Eastern WA Mule deer. 6mm-6.8 SPC.

Complete pass through DRT.

Broke two ribs going in and one exiting.

Same rifle 287 yards, DRT. 95gr Hornady SST. High shoulder shot, she dropped in her shadow. Complete pass through. Center punched a rib going in and one exiting. Completely destroyed the lungs.

My favorite was the 105gr Speer Hot Core in my 6mm rem varmint special. Too bad they don't make them any more. Never found one in a deer.
Billy

And there's a lot of folks that won't go in the woods with anything less than a .300 mag to shoot a 115 lb deer @ 70 yds. Big long range magnums are the thing now days but most deer can be taken care of with a .243 or .257. Makes me feel sometimes a bit over gunned with my 30-06.
Billy

Not the best "Long range" bullet, but I will vouch for the 90gr E-tip. Should be no problem out to 500yds or so. They are stout bullets that will hold up at close range.

I can't wait til deer season!!! Luckily I'm gonna be hunting in the Deep South where many deer can be harvested. So many bullets to do my own terminal ballistics testing. It will be a backstrap-o-rama !!!

drakehammer":2v5nc7fg said:
I can't wait til deer season!!! Luckily I'm gonna be hunting in the Deep South where many deer can be harvested. So many bullets to do my own terminal ballistics testing. It will be a backstrap-o-rama !!!

I'm also from the Deep South where we have very liberal bag limits. I always end up trying 2-3 different combos per season. So I can check bullet performance.

Back