6mm Remington

I hear Fotis makes a killer lemon chicken!
I would love to eat any of Fotis' viddles anytim.

He is a top notch hunter, and I'm glad he makes a good guide too.

Thank you for your suggestions on the 100 gr PT,
I will most definitely use it.

We used to have (3) 6mm rifles in my family, unfortunately we are down to only one these days. All three Remingtons, two 700s and one 788. The 788 is the one we kept.

With that gun and even regular 100 grain FL I have seen deer, elk, coyotes, etc. be taken cleanly. I feel like it has just enough extra oomph to be a better gun than a .243 where bolt actions are concerned. Its a .308 vs. .30-06 type of comparison.

One of the aforementioned M700s was a heavy barreled target model which we used to use to shoot targets in friendly competition. It was a one-holer with the right loads.

I personally prefer my .25-06 but there really isn't too much difference in the real world between the two.

Whatever it is shoot it straight and you will be eating venison steak.

As David's pictures above will demonstrate, there really is no flies on a 6mm Remington rifle.

It like so many other good cartridges is merely the victim of poor marketing and that is unfortunate.

6mm Remington":2zjd57w6 said:
Guy Miner":2zjd57w6 said:
David - in the photo with the Boone & Crocket ram, who's the young fellow in the blue shirt? :mrgreen:
He looks familiar! :lol: :grin: If you look closely Guy he's wearing an elk Ivory necklace for good luck!! I ended up giving that necklace to a family member so I don't have one any longer.

David - how many years between the photo of you with the ram, and you with your son's elk?

Looks like a couple... (y)

Awesome that you're still a 6mm Rem fan after all this time. Me too.

Guy

Guy Miner":2mw704w4 said:
6mm Remington":2mw704w4 said:
Guy Miner":2mw704w4 said:
David - in the photo with the Boone & Crocket ram, who's the young fellow in the blue shirt? :mrgreen:
He looks familiar! :lol: :grin: If you look closely Guy he's wearing an elk Ivory necklace for good luck!! I ended up giving that necklace to a family member so I don't have one any longer.

David - how many years between the photo of you with the ram, and you with your son's elk?

Looks like a couple... (y)

Awesome that you're still a 6mm Rem fan after all this time. Me too.

Guy
Guy I believe my friends ram was from 1989 and the cow elk photo was 2012 so 23 years is all!

Deerslayer

Someday you might want to try the 6 x 62, just a little more of a good thing. They are enjoyed by many on this side of the pond.

David, has had excellent success with the 6mm, as you will I am sure. Enjoy your new rifle

Europe":32q1tz1f said:
Deerslayer

Someday you might want to try the 6 x 62, just a little more of a good thing. They are enjoyed by many on this side of the pond.

David, has had excellent success with the 6mm, as you will I am sure. Enjoy your new rifle

That would be a wicked cartridge especially if a guy blew the shoulder out to 40.

Brass availability, and quality, is a bit spotty.

If that detail is handled, then it's just a call to your favorite barrel maker/gunsmith and a 6mm Rem can be had easily. Even in fast twist...

There are also other, newer 6's avail...

Guy

These are fairly new in the grand scheme of things, 1988.

100 gr @ 1015 meterpsec -mv- 3350 Joules.

But you have the 240 Weatherby, 6mm-06 and others in the colonies, so no biggie, just something for men like Scotty, Dewey and others to think about and perhaps play with one day.

I personally prefer the 6 x 62 R, as Blaser makes a nice single shot rifles for it and I have always liked Blaser rifles

The 6X62 is a fine development out of Europe. How is barrel life, Europe?

I honestly do not know sir. I am sure it is less than the 243, even the 243 A.I. or 6mm Rem. As a hunter ( no competition matches ) it is not a factor that I consider when deciding whether or not I want a particular caliber. I am not saying that I should not do so, I just dont.

Understood and thank you. I don't normally burden myself with such considerations. However, I do try to be aware.

Is the 6x62 the 6mm-06 by any chance? I have been eyeing that one actually. Gives the same ballistics as the .240 Weatherby, or as Fotis says,"Bee!"

Deerslayer0823":a794gr71 said:
Is the 6x62 the 6mm-06 by any chance?

Close, but not identical. Different base for the 6X62; built off the 9.3X62. Shooting a 6mm-06 in a 6X62 chamber could create a problem.

Not exactly on the 6-06 but baliistically they are really close. The 06 case is a shade over 63 mm in length (2.49" roughly)So you have about a 1 mm difference there.

Jake,
It would be an interesting case blown out to 40 degrees. :grin:

edit: sorry Dr, didn't see your post!

I have a church member who has used two rifles for decades; a Marlin 1895 45-70 for his saddle rifle and a Weatherby Mrk V .240 Weatherby. He uses two bullets- the Hornady 350RN for his levergun and the Nosler 95 Partition in the .240W. He has killed some really nice bull elk with both. I too prefer the .240W ( or 6mm/284) but the 6mm Remington just seems like a good balance. Of course, my 350# Scimitar Horned Oryx was killed with my 27" barreled Mod 700 in 6x47 ( .222 magnum necked up is all) and the 85XBT. I was getting 2900fps ( easy, just loafing .243/6mm rem speeds) I popped him at the base of the neck at 184yds, pass through, DRT. I gave him an insurance shot around 75yds, up through the brisket, the heart, broke his spine and was found under the hide! 83gr. An axis doe and a big axis buck same hunt. I had this rifle made up when I was recovering from a neck fusion. I could have used a 243/6mm, but I was after the lightest recoiling rifle my wife would allow me to hunt with! lol.

I have extensive use of the .243 Win, and have hunted gophers, on up to deer with it. I've used 80 gr. pills for the varmint sized critters......gophers, rockchucks, crows, porcupines, prairie dogs, and much more than memory serves. Now, I used 100 gr. pills for coyotes, antelope, whitetail deer, and mule deer.
When I was hunting the small stuff, I was extremely confident with my rig, and could hit the small targets at considerable distances. I won't say how far, because I know what the reactions will be, either BS, or he doesn't know exactly how far he was actually shooting.
When I was hunting coyotes, with the 100 gr. bullets, I knew wht my load would do at distance, and could shoot at long distances.
But, when I would hunt antelope, whitetail, and mule deer, I would always work my way into 250-300 yd shots. I would always shoot in the vitals, and wouldn't hurry a shot till I knew I could take the animal cleanly and humanely. Every time I hit the animal, I never failed to have an entry and exit. I never had an animal run off wounded, and most would drop within 5-10 feet from where I hit them.
I know that the 6mm Remington has 100-200 fps added in velocity over the .243, and I know I can stretch the distances of the .243 a little. I will only do so knowing I can do it quickly and humanely.
To me, I don't think I will need more than the 6mm, but wanting is a different story.
Later down the road I know I will want a lazer flat shooter with exceptional velocities, and may go with the 6mm/.284, 6mm-06, or :eek: , the .240 Weatherby!

Hey! 6mm Remington!
Just got a box of Hornady Superformance 6mm Remington with 95gr SST's. How good is that round, and how good is Hornady brass to reload.
I was, and still am looking for Winchester brass, or ammo. I know Winchester makes a pretty strong case to do reloads.
How does Hornady compare?

I cannot speak to the ammo but I like Hornady brass. Been treating me very well.

DrMike":3ci0hdfe said:
Deerslayer0823":3ci0hdfe said:
Is the 6x62 the 6mm-06 by any chance?

Close, but not identical. Different base for the 6X62; built off the 9.3X62. Shooting a 6mm-06 in a 6X62 chamber could create a problem.

Yep excessive headspace since the shoulder is farther forward. The 62 has less taper than the 06 and more capacity you would have to run it through a bunch of neck dies to get it down to 6mm.

I imagine barrel life would be similar to the 6-06 6-284 and 240Bee.

Back