6mm suggestions/advice

deltahunter

Beginner
Nov 10, 2009
I have a Cooper model 22– 6mm Remington with a 24” barrel 1-10 twist. I desperately wanted it to shoot the 90 grain AccuBond, but after trying numerous powders and seating depths ranging from touching to listed book length, i have accepted the fact that it just isn’t going to shoot this bullet. So my next question is:: do you guys the 90 or 95 ballistic tip would shoot better with the 1-10?? I’m thinking the 90 will, but I’m looking for some advice or inside knowledge that i don’t know.

I've never been able to discern any flight path difference in the AB and BT Hunting products of equal weight.

I use them interchangeably for load development. If it won't shoot the 90gr AB, I don't think I'd spend much effort on the 90 BT, the 95gr might be a better bet.

I think Scotty put up that you might try seating it deeper. A lot of folks have found that it works with the Accubonds. Worth a try anyway as they are a great bullet!

I have had great results with 90 ABs with Superformance, WW brass, WLR primers in my 6mm Rem.

That 1:10 twist is standard in many factory .243 Winchester rifles, of many makes. It stabilizes factory, lead core, soft point 100 grain bullets just fine.

Remington, when they changed the .244 to the 6mm Remington, bumped the twist rate from 1:12 to 1:9, to seriously stabilize the 100 grain deer bullets. I've found that mine shoots 85 - 105 grain bullets very well.

Since we cant "tighten" the twist rate in your Cooper, perhaps the 85 grain Nosler Partition should be considered?

It can be booted out of your rifle at serious velocity. Somewhere between 3300 - 3400 fps should be no problem.

It's generally a very accurate bullet.

It is more than capable of killing any whitetail, blacktail, or mule deer that walks.

Guy

It’s strange because the rifle will shoot 85 gr Sierra BTHP amazing. But i bump up to a 90 AccuBond or 85 interbond and accuracy goes to crap.

deltahunter":25yzowwh said:
It’s strange because the rifle will shoot 85 gr Sierra BTHP amazing. But i bump up to a 90 AccuBond or 85 interbond and accuracy goes to crap.

90 grain Nosler Hunting Ballistic tip should shoot just like it.

jason miller":31lj03p4 said:
The Sierra 85 bthp seems like one of those bullets that shoots well in every rifle, for what that's worth...

It's also a serious performer on whitetail size game when doing cross body shots at normal ranges and reasonable speeds. Under those scenarios it lacks nothing. A fantastic little bullet.

I like the 85 Partition also in 6mm caliber. Drive it as fast as you want that your rifle will shoot well and it will provide both good wound trauma and full penetration from about any angle you can come up with on whitetail size game. I have a Model 7 that can be finicky and it falls right in line with the partitions.

deltahunter":1hlsw7y5 said:
It’s strange because the rifle will shoot 85 gr Sierra BTHP amazing.

I have shot some nice groups with Sierra 85gr. BTHP no surprise there. But what did suprise me was how well it worked on Antelope and my Son shot one at about 400 yards and it was as fast as one shot kill as with any rifle of any size I have seen. I was truly impressed. It was a broadside shot and he had complete pass through even at that range.
I would not hesitate to hunt Whitetail or Mule Deer with them if that is as heavy as my rifle would shoot. Good Hunting.

If the Sierra 85HPBT bullet shoots well in your rifle and you are going to hunt whitetail deer or similar sized thin skinned animals you would be very well off using that bullet. I would also suggest the Sierra 100FB Spitzer, I have had excellent luck with both bullets in my 6mms', one of which has a 1 in 10 twist barrel.

I have 1 243 and a 6mm AI that i use the 85 Sierra in. The 243 is strictly for whitetail and the AI is used for groundhogs and deer. This bullet consistently shoots 1/2 moa at 200 yds in either one. Longest shot with the AI was a lazered 368 yds on a standing groundhog, DRT. I always keep a good stock of this one. Sorry Nosler.

deltahunter":2wm9yulk said:
Thanks for the help/advice guys. Looks like I’m going to stick with the 85 gr BTHP.

Killed a doe this yr with that bullet out of a 6mm. Shot was low, real low, exited through the heavier brisket bones and was a heart shot only, no lungs unless it just nicked the bottom of one lung on entry. Deer ran probably 60-70 yds but crashed within sight in the woods when its blood pressure reached zero. I have never, ever, seen a blood spray trail that profuse or wide with any caliber or bullet I've shot a deer with yet. The 85HPBT is not the best bullet in every single situation, no bullet is, but it routinely proves a dandy little deer bullet in 243 caliber with a good balance of expansion and penetration. I like to keep them around 2900 or under 3000 for woods shots but if you're reaching out farther than that crank them up to your hearts desire.

As a side note if you're set on going heavier, I would suggest trying a non bonded bullet of your choice since the bonded bullets is what seems to be giving you trouble at normal seating depths. Lots of good options including certainly the partitions.

deltahunter":1k3l2y9s said:

How far off the rifling are you seating the AccuBond and Interbonds? I’ve NEVER had a day to day consistently accurate load started any closer than .050” from the rifling. Typically I end up .075-.125 from the rifling with Accubonds, Swift’s and Interbonds. 1-10 is Plenty for those Bullets. I have 0 troubles stabilizing the 105 Hornady HPBT here at sea level, you’ve got plenty for the 90 AB or 85 Interbonds.

Back