6X47/.222 Rem Mag questions? Pictures Added! Target added!

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I'm thinking of making one of my .223 rifles into this cartridge. At first I thought I'd run a 6x45/.223 Rem. The more I researched the 6x47 based off the .222 Rem Mag kept jumping out at me. I guess this was a popular cartridge with the bench rest crowd, until the advent of the 6mm PPC and BR cartridges.

I'll mainly be running 55-70 grain bullets for varminting, but I may decide to take it out for somthing bigger like pronghorn. Would it be worth my effort to throat it to run bullets up to 95 grains? 70 grains is the minimum grain I can use to hut pronghorn and deer but I would just feel better running a heavier bullet as long as I can get it up over 2500 fps at the muzzle.

I'm thinking a lightweight varmiter bolt action rifle with a 20" #3 contour barrel. I was thinking a 12 twist if I stay in the lightweight bullets, but if I go over 80 grains I think I'll need faster. Looks like H335 is one of the better powders as well for this cartridge. Anyone got any experience with this round or suggestions?

The Rem 40x 6x47 came with a 1/12 twist barrel. I think a 20" barrel would hurt the velocity. Hodgdon # 26 has loading data for the 6x47 with 23.5" barrel 90grbullet max is mid 2600fps 100gr is mid 2500fps.

I've got a Rem 40x in 6x47 and Rem 722 in 222mag. One of my first BR rifles was a 6x47x45. The 6x47 lacked case capacity same as the 222mag case for BR matches they took the 222mag case blew the shoulder forward changed the shoulder 35 to 45 degrees they called that case the 222x35/222x45. I just took the 222x45 opened it to 6mm and if you look at the 204 changed the shoulder angles that was pretty much like the old 222x35 case.

I would use the 204 case open that to 6mm and maybe go with 22' barrel and I think you would get the velocity you want with the heavier bullets and you get better velocity with varmit bullets with a 1/12 twist barrel.

I did a 6x250 just necked up the 22-250 case thats a good one I use a Rem action just had the bolt face opened up changed out magazine.

I'm not sure where your going to hunt antelope but here in Co we get some wind I plan on using a 243AI back up be a 6RemAI for antelope.

Well good luck

Grew up in Lincoln County GMU 120 & 121 is where I hunt and I do know about the wind. :shock: I've been lucky I guess and never had to take a pronghorn past 400, but I realize that would be outside an acceptable range for this rifle. However I've shot plenty inside of 100 yards with a little work and luck on my part.

Thanks for the info, 3-4 inches on the barrel isn't going to upset me in the least, should still be a pretty light rifle when done anyway. The biggest deal breaker on running longer bullets is if I can get them to stabalize and fit the magazine without taking up powder room in the cartridge. I'm still waiting on my donor rifle to come in so I can measure the mag and see what I have to work with.

The 6 X 47 was quite the BR Rifle as you stated before the PPC's came along. I have a buddy that has one... haven't seen it shot in years, but it's one heck of an accurate / smooth shooting round.

The 6X47 is a fun little round. I use it for a completely different application. I shoot it in IHMSA pistol competition in what is called Standing Unlimited Class.

I have a rear grip Remington XP chambered in 6X47 that shoots quite well and takes down the steel targets just fine. Recoil is minimal to say the least.

My gun has a 15 inch Hart barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. I shoot 100 grain Sierra's in it using H 4895 and get 2150 fps.

The 222 Remington Mag cases used to be hard to find so I layed in a good supply. I guess with the appearance of the .204 cases should be available.

A friend sold his 6X47 so he gave me a bunch of ammo loaded with 70 and 75 grain bullets. They shot just fine in this gun as well.

Fun little cartridge, low recoil, low noise, great accuracy.

I shot BR with a Rem M40XBBR rifle in 6X47 with a 20" barrel, and it was very competitive before the .220 Russian alternatives hit the scene. I only shot 68 to 70 gr bullets, they were very accurate (most were hand made BR bullets bit I shot a lot of Sierras in practice).

I like to separate the varmint rifles from the big game rifles so each can be built to its best, too much compromise is too much. Besides it is a built-in reason for another rifle. ;)

jim

HunterJim":1wtaqjot said:
I like to separate the varmint rifles from the big game rifles so each can be built to its best, too much compromise is too much. Besides it is a built-in reason for another rifle. ;)

jim

Jim, I think I will follow yours and 30-338's advice and I'm going to go with a 1:12 twist and see what I can do with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips. I've not nearly 1K of them and just can't seem to get them to shoot out of my .243 Win. I have tons of 60 grain Sierra HP bullets as well that need a rifle that likes them better as well. For some reason I can't get my .243 to like anything lighter than 90 grains.

Well I went ahead and dropped the hammer on the barrel today. I ordered a Savage pre-fit barrel 20" long 1:12 twist, #3 Douglas contour, with an 11 degree recessed crown chambered in standard 6x47. I went with the standard shoulder because Midway had the dies already and that way it didn't require me to have a custom set made. It should be here in 5 weeks!

Just got back from a three week vactaion courtsey of the Army Reserves and will be picking up my Stevens 200 thanks to Shooters Pro Shop $100 auctions on BivWak today(great guys to deal with BTW). So right now with barrel purchase and rifle I'm in this build for a little over $500, plus my friend just got in his Savage barrel nut wrench so that will save me a little cost there, and he has the barrel vice and blocks as well.

Now the problem is locating .222 Rem Mag Go/No-Go Gauges. Seems like Grafs, Midway, and Brownells doesn't have both gauges in stock when I looked yesterday. :( Guess I might have to rent them from 4D, was hoping to just buy them and keep them on hand. I'm still at least two weeks away from getting the new barrel in anyway.

Go/No Go gauge for a Savage barrel = 2 layers of tape on the case head of an unfired case and adjusting the barrel ring for a slight crush fit of the bolt.

Well I've got the barrel in hand now, just waiting on a new recoil lug before I install it. I went with Sharp Shooters Supply competition recoil lug, and threw in their competition trigger, as well as a tactical bolt knob just to change it up a little. I haven't decided on a scope yet so I'll just throw my little 2-7 Nikon Monarch I took off of my .30-06 on it for now. I hope to get the rifle put together this weekend.

Well I got my rifle put together today, well kind of anyway. I still got to put a scope on and put a finish of some sort on the metal. Probaby a matte black Gunkote but it doesn't look half bad right now for a walking varmint rifle. Hopefully she shoots as good as she looks right now.

Stevens Stock painted forest green.
SinArms 20" chrome moly barrel
Sharp Shooter Supply Competition recoil lug and trigger, as well as their Tac Knob.

Picture012.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Now just to put a scope on it and get some loads worked up and see how she shoots!

want my opinion, at the velocities stated the 55 or 70 gr NBT's will suffice, I shoot the nosler 55 gr in my 6mm PPC for deer and it does excellant, of course our deer weigh in about 140# for a big one. you could use a 75 gr barnes but don't expect alot in the way of expansion.
RR

Oh and try H-322 powder.

Sharp looking rifle. It'll be great fun to watch the load development. I'd expect that it shoots very well indeed.

Ridge_Runner":xfpi5jtw said:
want my opinion, at the velocities stated the 55 or 70 gr NBT's will suffice, I shoot the nosler 55 gr in my 6mm PPC for deer and it does excellant, of course our deer weigh in about 140# for a big one. you could use a 75 gr barnes but don't expect alot in the way of expansion.
RR

Oh and try H-322 powder.

Anything less than 70 grains is not legal for deer and pronghorn in Colorado. 90 grains and up is the minimum for elk and moose. Probably will not use this rifle for anything other than varmints anyway, since I have plenty of big game rifles.

H332 is top on my list to try.

Feeling a little rushed since I just didn't have the time I wanted today to mess with the rifle. Since I spent all day yesterday bedding my .25-06 in a new stock. Anyway I got about three hours today to load up some rounds and take my rifle out to shoot. Loaded everything with 55 gr Nosler BT, H335, CCI 400, and RP Brass, loaded to Mag length. I did all my shooting off of a portable bench at 50 yards, and was fighting a 15mph wind at about 75 degrees. I think when I get to spend more time with the rifle I'll be able to improve these groups especially when I can get to a good bench with sandbags.

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Back