7 mag help

dieselpwr

Beginner
Sep 6, 2009
Guys I know this has nothing to do with reloading but I'm looking at buying a new 7MM. My 3 choices I have narrowed it down to are Savage, Remington and Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA. I have seen that some of the barrels are a 1 in 9.5 and the others are 1 in 10. Is there that much of a difference in the two twist rates? And with those 3 rifles listed which one's shoot the best? I have heard alot about Savage with there legendary accuracy. Also what are some of your guys pet loads for the 7MM.

Thanks for the help,
Chet

Hi Chet, welcome to the board. I personally do not shoot the 7mm mag but my hunting partner of 35 years does and so do my other 2 partners.
My nephew shoots a Remington CDL, my closest friend shoot a Kreikle and my cousin shoots a Savage.
I do the loading for 2 of the 3.
I am a Remington guy as long as you get the adjustable trigger but if they made a lefty I would sure like to try the Vanguard. Another one I would like to try is the Icon (not sure if they make it in a 7mm mag.) A friend who recently passed away Ian McMurchy was a Thomson guy and stated it was one of the finest rifles he had shot if you look up his name you would find that he had all the credentials.
Over the years we have used a number of loads but for the last 3or4 it has been the 160 gr AccuBond with 60grs of IMR 4350 the Remington and the Kreikle are both shooting it .5moa @ 100 yards.
I know a number of the guys around here are also using the 140 gr. AccuBond but we have not tried it yet.
Good luck I think that you will find that most of the new rifles are good and it will likely be how you like the feel and the looks.

Blessings,
Dan

i have a 7mm mag in a savage model 110e and that rifle is getting .346 inches at 100 yards with 140 gr nosler bt with 70.3 gr of imr 7828 and getting around 3131 at muzzle. and another one is 162 hornady interlock btsp with 71 grains of retumbo and the speed was 3080 at muzzle but i dont know the groups havent tested them. my hunting load is hornady 154 gr sst with imr 7828ssc and the muzzle velocity is 3080 and it is under .5 inches at 100 yards. good luck searching

There is no significant difference between the 1:9.5 and the 1:10 twist. Either will stabilise the 7 mm bullets normally used. Each of the manufacturers can make a fine rifle. Generally, careful hand loading will wring the potential out of any of the rifles you have listed. Some require more attention than others, but all can be made to shoot. For accuracy, I'd personally go with either the Savage or the Weatherby. In recent years, Remington quality has not always been up to a standard previously seen. However, they can still turn out a good product.

F215 primers and 61.5 grains of RL22 propels a 175 grain Nosler PT to 2800 fps and sub-MOA in my old Winchester. 62.5 grains of RL22 and R9.5M sends 175 grain Speer MagTips at 2900 fps and groups that are so good that I simply marvel. More recently, I've worked with WLRM primers and 59.5 grains of H100V with 160 grain Nosler PT to get almost 3000 fps and a phenomenal group. I'm still shooting off the last of my 160 grain Combined Technology FS ammunition (R9.5M, 66 grains RL22) which gives very good accuracy and 3160 fps velocity. I I only had one powder for the 7mm RM, I believe I would choose RL22.

The 7 RM is an excellent cartridge, and one which I believe you will truly enjoy.

I have been a 7MM shooter for some time now. I started with a 7MM Mauser some years ago and for the last ten years or so I am shooting a 7MM Rem. Mag Savage model 110 and I loveit. A 7Mag will knock down anything in North America. I shoot anything from 130GRain up to 175 grain and my Savage can take all of them. I don't believe you can go wrong with the Savage rifle.

Noslers Rock!

The 1: 9.5 twist barrels are made for shooting the really long VLD type bullets. Everything else is suitable for either twist.

The Remington 700 is easier to really make shoot in my book. I deer hunted a few years with a Rem. 700 in 7 mag that was a real benchrest quality shooter. If you could hold well enough it would but bullets in the same hole at 100 yards. My buddy and I went away from using the 7mm mag because we were having deer run off a ways after taking a perfect hit. We both went to the 25-06 and we don't have to trail a deer anymore. Bang flop.

1Shot. I've seen that problem with the 7 Mag as well. It usually involved shooting the 175gr Partitions. 140-150gr BT on deer is a whole different matter...

Antelope_Sniper":bu0rok1s said:
1Shot. I've seen that problem with the 7 Mag as well. It usually involved shooting the 175gr Partitions. 140-150gr BT on deer is a whole different matter...

+1 to what Antelope_Sniper said.
The 7mm 140 gr BT kills deer like lighting. I have killed several deer with this bullet in a 280 Rem from distances of 30 yds to 300 yds and all but 1 dropped. I heart shot a buck at 50 yds, made about 4 jumps before he piled up.

JD338

YoteSmoker":1jlhr25s said:
Anybody had any trouble puting deer down with a well placed 160 AccuBond? I can't imagine but if so, I'd like to hear about it.

280 AI with a 160 gr AB, avg MV 3019 fps
JD6pt1115071.jpg

JD338

Welcome to the forum. My opinion based on years of experience is as follows. The twist is so close with most bullets it matters not.

As far as rifles go I highly suggest Savage Tikka and the WBY you mentioned.

65 grains of RL22 with 160 AccuBond/Partition at 3050 fps will drop anything (within reason) in NA.

Again, Welcome to the Forum... there is alot of good info here and a lot of great experience. Take the info, digest and purchase what feels good to you.

I bleed Remington Green, but with that said, the last one to find its way into my safe is a Vanguard Sub MOA as you mentioned. It's in a .270wsm but very accurate and I like it. ( so far it's new )

My Father has used a Rem 7mag for as long as I can remember. I can say anything that has been hit with that gun has not made it too far.

Like POP stated too, don't under-estimate the Tikka.

Let us know what you choose.

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard Sage Country earlier this year, in 7mm Rem Mag, it is my second 7RM. This rifle has shot excellent with everything I have put through it. The trigger is kind of creepy, but it shoots really well. It has a very long magazine, so it allow seating bullets out pretty far.

My favorite load is the one used by alot of others on hear, R22 and 160gr Accubonds. I worked up to 66gr and it shoots to about 3100FPS. It is my first WBY and not even a MK5, but it is a great rifle and shoots really well. I am a big fan of the WBY Vanguard series. They seem well put together and are good working rifles, that come with a guarantee. Hard to beat. Scotty

I love my 7mm Weatherby mag in Ultra lite. My wife shoots it. now I'm reloading my own ammo and dont have to pay that $70 a box for non lead stuff.

Hi there, and welcome,
I have 2 7mm in WBY, had a 3rd one stolen. all are great rifles, all shot touching groups with IMR 4831 and 160 gr ABs. My brother has another, and his shoots great as well. If i had to choose a single rifle to own, it would be a WBY 7mm.
Best of luck,
Hardpan

I can't imagine the 25-06 being a quicker killer over the 7 mag if the proper bullet is selected for the job. I used the 7 for years on everything and never had anything run off with a good hit. at that time the 154 gr Hornady was my best deer bullet and the 175 Hornady was my go to elk bullet. With the Nosler BT's I can't imagine anything better for deer and maybe the 160 AB for elk. I think the problem with the 175 Partition is it's just made a little too well for smaller game. How about a 168 grain BT and AB, this would give real good ballistic coefficient and weight without making them too long.

Back