7 mag load data

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
I am needing load data for a slow twist 7 mm Remington Mag. with 1-11.5 twist and a 22" barrel.
I did OK with 65.0 gr. of IMR 4350 behind a 140 Gr BT.
Does anyone have some magic software that could tell me a good starting point with Varget or a powder with a similar bur rate? Thanks

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

What make is your rifle and/or barrel? A 1:11.5 twist is really slow, I didn't realize that slow a twist was ever offered. Typical twist for 7mm is 1:9 or 1:9.5.

JD338

JD338":2m5gbevg said:

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

What make is your rifle and/or barrel? A 1:11.5 twist is really slow, I didn't realize that slow a twist was ever offered. Typical twist for 7mm is 1:9 or 1:9.5.

JD338
Thanks,

The rifle is a Remington 700 action with a 22" Douglas barrel.
Twist rate was determined by a tight patch, a cleaning rod, sharpie, and tape-measure.
After taking the rifle out and shooting some heavier bullets I decided to check as the groups were poor with the 175's and a lot better with 150's.

Wow - as a big fan of the 7mm Rem mag - I believe that barrel is really limiting your rifle! I'm more of a fan of about a 1:9 twist, at least 24" long for that cartridge. Alas, this isn't the case with yours - and I'd expect it to shoot best with 140's or 150's - which are quite capable of taking game.

Am guessing here - but after years of loading for it - I'll bet you can clear 3100 fps with 140's loaded over RL-22. And likely get good accuracy while so doing. Nosler makes some fine 140's including the Partition, the AccuBond and the Ballistic Tip. All are fine bullets.

Factory 140's, from Remington, averaged 3225 fps from a 24" barreled Rem 700 I tested a few years ago, with very good accuracy.

Guy

Guy Miner":cuc3tt5d said:
Wow - as a big fan of the 7mm Rem mag - I believe that barrel is really limiting your rifle! I'm more of a fan of about a 1:9 twist, at least 24" long for that cartridge. Alas, this isn't the case with yours - and I'd expect it to shoot best with 140's or 150's - which are quite capable of taking game.

Am guessing here - but after years of loading for it - I'll bet you can clear 3100 fps with 140's loaded over RL-22. And likely get good accuracy while so doing. Nosler makes some fine 140's including the Partition, the AccuBond and the Ballistic Tip. All are fine bullets.

Factory 140's, from Remington, averaged 3225 fps from a 24" barreled Rem 700 I tested a few years ago, with very good accuracy.

Guy
I am getting 3216 avg. with 140 BT behind 65.0 gr. IMR 4350, but accuracy isn't there. This is my Dad,s gun he just sent down to me to "tune up" for elk.
Any ideas?

Start by making sure the rifle is completely squared away - everything nice and tight, and the barrel properly clean. Use your best shooting techniques to bring out all the accuracy it's got.

That 140 BT you're using is generally a very accurate bullet. You mentioned the 150's shooting better than the 175's. Did they also out-shoot the 140's?

Mess with the seating depth/distance to the lands & grooves... I'd leave that powder charge alone for now and try different seating depths - also do everything you can to seat the bullet completely straight. Seating depth and straightness can have a huge influence on accuracy.

I like the velocity you're getting, and wouldn't want to sacrifice that, so my first move would be to play with the seating, rather than messing with the powder type or charge weight yet.

FWIW, Guy

Guy Miner":2f0lb5t1 said:
Start by making sure the rifle is completely squared away - everything nice and tight, and the barrel properly clean. Use your best shooting techniques to bring out all the accuracy it's got.

That 140 BT you're using is generally a very accurate bullet. You mentioned the 150's shooting better than the 175's. Did they also out-shoot the 140's?

Mess with the seating depth/distance to the lands & grooves... I'd leave that powder charge alone for now and try different seating depths - also do everything you can to seat the bullet completely straight. Seating depth and straightness can have a huge influence on accuracy.

I like the velocity you're getting, and wouldn't want to sacrifice that, so my first move would be to play with the seating, rather than messing with the powder type or charge weight yet.

FWIW, Guy

I tried .040 - .005 off the lands in 5 thousandths increments. Also worked the powder charge up and down in 2 gr intervals.
The 65.0 gr powder charge was the better of the lot, right at .020 off the lands. There is no pressure signs with this load, but the accuracy was not there.
That is why I was looking for a little faster burning powder.

I would try RL 22, great powder for the 7mm Rem Mag.
Seat the bullets .020" off the lands and start working up.
Once you find a good load, then start adjusting the COL to tighten up your groups.

JD338

The two loads that work well in my 7mags with 140gr bullets are 65.3grs of IMR-4350 and 69.0grs of Reloader-22.I'm getting 3225fps with the IMR -4350 load and 3200fps with the Reloader-22 load.

OK, thanks fellas for the information. I will try some RL-22, I did try RL-17, there was no velocity at all with it, I think I need a longer barrel with some of these slower powders.

Changing to a faster powder will not give you a faster velocity. If RL22 is faster with a 26" barrel, it will be faster at 22". You might lessen muzzle flash and such, but it won't be any faster. Now, trying a different powder at the same/similar burn rate might help out. I wouldn't be scared of using a 7mm RM with a 140/150gr PT at over 3K. That would ruin about any elks day. I run the 150gr PT's out of my 270WSM at 3100 and wouldn't sweat too much with that in elk country. Scotty

H4831 was my go to powder for a 1-11" twist 7mm remington mag barrel i had. It shot 140gr ballistic tips very well. 120gr ballistic tips where also extremely accurate.

Thanks for all posts
I have tried several powders and the best load for this barrel I have found is 60.5 gr.s of RL-17 behind a 160 gr. Nosler AB
MV average is 3022 FPS
extreme spread is 8
Standard deviation is 4
0.488" groups @ 100yards
These are seated .02 off the lands.
I shot 2 three shot groups on the 18th, I have loaded another 12 rounds hoping to get the same results (you gotta prove the load) out of these two five shot strings.
Will post later with my results.
Thanks again

That certainly sounds like an accurate load, and velocity is very good. Best of luck as you work your proof loads.

3006":1m7omvmu said:
Thanks for all posts
I have tried several powders and the best load for this barrel I have found is 60.5 gr.s of RL-17 behind a 160 gr. Nosler AB
MV average is 3022 FPS
extreme spread is 8
Standard deviation is 4
0.488" groups @ 100yards
These are seated .02 off the lands.
I shot 2 three shot groups on the 18th, I have loaded another 12 rounds hoping to get the same results (you gotta prove the load) out of these two five shot strings.
Will post later with my results.
Thanks again

Looks great. Might have to give it a whirl. Scotty

It does look good! A sturdy & streamlined 160 gr 7mm bullet at 3,000+ fps with 1/2 MOA accuracy. Great combo.

I'd lay in a supply of those components, then shoot the heck out of that rifle and go clobber deer, elk, bear, boar or whatever I had a tag for! :grin:

OK, I went out today in the driving rain and 20 MPH winds to prove my loads..... ya I know I should have waited for a better day.

I shot two 5 shot strings through the crony
AVG. 3047
SD 9
ES 25
Both 5 shot strings grouped under 1.5" in a gusty 20 MPH win.

Remington Brass
Federal 215M primer
60.5 gr. RL-17
Nosler 160Gr. AB seated .02 off lands.

These grouped under .5 on a better day. CW

With that SD, you have a load that you can work with. Even though the elements didn't work with you, on another day that load will probably serve you well.

I am pleased with this load, group size was under .5 on a calm day.
No vertical stringing today, horizontal was about 1.5 inches.
I'll take it. CW

You have yourself a very consistant load for sure. Shoot it again on a calm day to confirm accuracy and call it done. A 7mm 160 gr PT at 3000 fps is very good elk medicine. :wink:

JD338

Back