70 grain RDF in a .223?

pharmseller

Handloader
Feb 13, 2012
The search function didn't bring anything up, my apologies if I didn't do it right.

I just bought a few 70 grain Nosler RDF bullets to try in my 1-8" T3 .223. Anyone have a good load?

P

Here's what they look like at 2.276", 2.260", and 2.254".

All with 24.5 gr TAC (work up).

IMG_0089_zpsjvqavfmn.jpg

If TAC doesn't work out I'll try Varget.

P

I'll be interested in how they work for you. I've been hearing good stuff about them. I have some of the 6.5s I plan to load up.

24.5 Tac should be in the wheelhouse. In the same burn range as the "standard" match load for OTC high power. With 75-80 grain bullets, most shooters are running anywhere from 23-25 gr of Varget, or R15. Without limiting to AR mag length, you should have some room to play with on those.

Polaris":3ey78708 said:
24.5 Tac should be in the wheelhouse. In the same burn range as the "standard" match load for OTC high power. With 75-80 grain bullets, most shooters are running anywhere from 23-25 gr of Varget, or R15. Without limiting to AR mag length, you should have some room to play with on those.

2.276" is as far out as the magazine will let me go.

P

P, let us know how it goes!

I'll be trying them with H4895 when they land here. Certainly a sleek looking bullet which should make some nice speeds.

I should be able to stretch the OAL in my rifle with the modified magazine.

Pharm, I'd love to hear how those shoot. I've got 500 of them I'm going to use in one of my AR's but haven't started load development yet. I've got lots of both Varget and TAC, so either would work.

The bolt is off getting fluted so it might be awhile, I'll report back with accuracy and velocity.

P

I hit the range yesterday and took the .223 with me to shoot while the barrel cooled on the 7 Rem Mag.

I had replaced the VX2 3-9 CDS with an FX3 12x40 AO with target turrets. I used some 50 grain TTSX to get on paper at 50 yards and the bullets overlapped. I moved to 100 and shot the 50s again to confirm.

First up was the longest of the three 70 grain loads. They shot okay, around .75", but I wasn't impressed. Then I tried the middle load.

Holy Hannah, the clouds parted and the angels sang. Remember, I bought this thing used for a song.

IMG_0295_zps9btuglpm.jpg

That's three shots into 0.103". I think I'll keep it. I need to do this a few more times and run it over a chronograph.

P

Definitely a shooter and a very good load to work with. Congratulations.

It looks like you have a great load there :wink:.
I am looking forward to see what speed they are getting there at (y).
Thank you for the range report & photos.

Blessings,
Dan

I chronographed four loads this afternoon, high of 2916, low 2893 (ES 23), average 2905. Better than I expected. Nosler's test barrel was a 1-7" 20" so I figured for a 22" add about 65 fps. Not far off.

P

That's about what I am getting out of the 75 grain Hornady's in my 223 as well.

Any idea on how those RDF's expand?

I'm testing them out long, about 0.025" of the lands for a COAL a little over 2.325" in a Rem700 sps tac 1-9". I've got them loaded over AR-comp. When I can get to the bench I'm going to try accuracy as I loaded four or five different charges, then I'll play with the magnetospeed to test velocity. Looking like TAC will be a good back up.

SHM

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back