7mm-08 BT or Accubond?

I shoot 120 BT's at 3050 or so. Either will work.

I have been trying to find the cross section pictures of them on my computer, but alas, I have lost them. I tried to dissect a few bullets last night but did not have the tools I needed to make the cuts pretty. It did appear that the jacket thickness of the 120 was thicker than the 140 and 150. I will try again sometime soon to see if it is still true.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I ve read a lot of guys saying that the 120 BT is drawn from the same jacket as the 140 BT thus since it's shorter it's slightly thicker. Why they claim it performs so well on Deer.

BTW, if recoil an issue that H4895 can be loaded down to as low as 60% of max charges listed. Google Winchester youth loads; I ve found that around 70% of max H4895 the loads are very soft recoiling AND accurate. MOA or better if gun and shooter capable. Typically 2500 -2600 fps.

140gn Nosler Accubonds work a treat for me, especially when pushed by a healthy dose of Reloder 17.

ChG1PI3.jpg

I6jRMzO.jpg

I have specific experience with this topic, as I introduced my son to hunting with a 7mm-08. In fact, it was the primary driver for my foray into reloading. I wanted a cartridge he could grow up with, that could handle smallish blacktails up to elk.
I started him with the 120 BT and Varget at the lowest recommended charge, 41 grains I believe. 2650-2700 FPS, mild recoil but plenty of punch for deer. It worked so well that I bought one too and retired the .30-06.

A paltry load of 37.0 grains of IMR 4895 with the 140 Ballistic Tip has been a very accurate load for me. I had previously used 42 grains of 4895 but it was obnoxious in a model 7 18.5 inch barreled carbine. It was also over max in some but not all data sources. Kind of shocked me when a newer manual had me over max a bit.

This week I loaded up some 140 Interbonds with IMR 8208XBR. I ended up staying with the lightest load of 38.0 grains and pulled down the higher charges. 1.2 moa with a 1.5- 5x 80’s leupold. Good enough for my needs.

Back