7mm-08 Deer Loads

Dale, my favorite bullet for the 7mm-08 is the 120 BT its as tough as the 140 BT with extra fps. I use it in my .280 Remington.Lee

I've only shot one Texas Dall Ram ( deer size in chest thickness/hide/muscle mass) with the 7mm08. I used the older Hornady Light Magnum 139 SST. It was accurate, but the bullet was pretty fragile. I wouldn't use it on elk. I'm a big believer in Barnes so the 120 TTSX would be my suggestion for a combo bullet. Many good choices, including ( if your rifle will shoot them well) the 160 NP. On a combo hunt ( I've been on a few) I always felt the best way to go is set up for the bigger animal then make sure you shoot the smaller animal through the shoulders. Good luck to you!

Cannot believe no one mentioned the 150 ablr! I shoot it with rl17 and it is as fast/accurate as any of my other per loads. I have the rem. 700 with a muzzle brake and my 91 pound 14 year old daughter shoots it with ease. Do not overlook the grand slam 145-My load is 48.3 of h-4350. Other favorites and glad others mentioned them, 140 pro hunter, mine over 48 gr of h-4350. AccuBond 140 also over 48 of h-4350. I had outstanding performance with scirocco 2 and 44 gr of h414 but it is slower than I want that bullet to be going. My experience indicates to keep lots of h-4350, h414 and blc-2 around, my fun loves those and is the easiest rifle I own to work up new loads for.

filmjunkie4ever":9iurb8xw said:
Yeah that Hornady 139 grainer has seen use in my Mother's 7x57 and also in a .284 Winchester (Savage 99F of course!) both at about 2700-2750 fps in their 24" tubes.

Never got to try that Speer 130 grain bullet but have heard great things.

The reason I am wanting to go at least 139 grain is my Father in Law is thinking he will get one of those general season cow tags for Tex Creek area and I think that should probably be a minimum bullet weight for this caliber.

I harvested 35+ elk in my serious hunting career with 139 Hornady interlocks, launched at about 2850 fps. At those speeds it performs perfectly.
EE2

wvchevy3":3lz4tlzo said:
Dale, my favorite bullet for the 7mm-08 is the 120 BT its as tough as the 140 BT with extra fps. I use it in my .280 Remington.Lee

Thanks Lee. I will give those a try too.

Dale

Back