7mm 08 light loads

Kyle

Beginner
Apr 7, 2012
I'm trying to come up with a light recoil load for my sons new 7mm 08. I figured the 120g Nos BT would be a good choice so i loaded a few up with 44g of IMR 4350. That should be a pretty light load but I'm finding flattened primers. I used Winchester brand brass and CCI large rifle primers. I'm confused to why i'm seeing pressure signs when starting at the bottom of the chart. Can anyone shine some light on where i've gone wrong?

according to hodgdon's web site you can use H4895 if its applicable for the cartridge for youth loads, you can download down as long as you remain above 60% of the max load for that bullet weight.
RR
sorry typeing before I read your whole post, IMR 4350 is a slow burning powder, downloading it creates pressure spikes that can become just as dangerous as overloading, see my above post

Kyle,

I loaded up some 120gr Sierra's pushed by 42.0grs of H4895 for my brothers 12 year old daughter. The rifles was a Marlin bolt action, don't remember the model. She scored a nice 6 point with it and had no problems with recoil. I used the same load out of my Encore to kill my first deer also. I would think the 120gr BT would work just as well.

Thomas

Thanks guys H4895 was my first choice but i've got quite a bit of IMR 4350 on hand and in the Nosler reloading guide no 6 it was the most accurate powder tested so i figured it would work just as good. Since i'm looking for very light recoil H4895 seems like the best bet.

Kyle,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. As Ridge Runner has directed you, check out the reduced loads on the Hodgdon web site (http://hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf). These are proven safe with no fear of secondary explosion effect or of causing a squib load. Best of luck as you develop a good load for your son.

I loaded up some Sierra 140gr gamekings with 36gr of IMR 3031 in mine for my cousins daughter. She was 8 at the time. She handled it just fine.

42.0 grains of IMR 4064 works great in my Rem Model 7. Recoil is so soft you can watch the deer tip over through the scope.

Back