7mm-08 Savage

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I loaded some 120 Sierra SPTs
Spread them out a bit but all within 1" of aiming point
The Nosler 120 BTs did a bit better, even with the barrel getting warm. I did shorten the OAL to 2.790 as suggested by a fellow member.
This is just a $399 Savage Scope combo with the first loads I put together, brass out of the box and run across a sizing ball, shot by a shaky old man with poor eye sight. I'm sure with some work by somebody who knows what they are doing this could be improved a lot.
It doesn't cost a lot to get a rifle that will shoot plenty well for deer hunting.
b6ecd57a698bffab414b558d4dbbff4d.jpg
5064eaa0044cc7d5b3b001c28480c610.jpg
7de5ab56105fda1742944e11d5174448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's "minute of deer" every day of the week. I'd roll with the Nosler's and be done with it. You might tinker with it a little bit, but you're definitely in the "good enough" zone.

looks like 7 dead deer in these two pics .

it looks like it's trying to shoot 2 groups on each target . make sure the action screws are tight . make sure the magazine box floats a little , if it's pinched tight it could cause this . if these are ok , it might benefit from a bedding job .

Those 120 BT's are proven deer smokers. I shot a decent buck in '15 with one and it performed fantastic. Like the other guys said, just a little finagling will get them shooting even better.

I bought a rifle similar to yours about a year ago in 338 Federal and it looks like it's gonna be a shooter too.

Ron

You didn't get hurt on the rifle. Some fine riflery demonstrated. Any of those shots would work on deer.

This is typical of what my daughter's little inexpensive savage/scope combo did at first as well. What has been said here by all is true.
#1 You picked arguably the most reasonably priced, most accurate combo on the market.
#2 You picked the 7mm-08 cartridge, that's arguably the best balance between pleasant shooting and effective deer hunting on Earth.
#3 It's m.o.d. all day long before optimization
#4 Check to make sure your action screws are very snug as stated previously
#5 You will benefit greatly from investing in a good set of rings and bases on this rig. To keep it inexpensive, recommend a set of plain old Leupold windage adjustable bases and Leupy rings. I found out the hard way that the rings and bases that were supplied with my daughter's rig needed frequent re-tightening, otherwise you will chase accuracy issues that don't actually exist.
#6 Use in the range of 43-45 gr of Reloader-15, Norma 203B, or Varget for best results with either of these 120gr bullets.
#7. Go kill Bambi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter's 7-08 is a Savage 11 trophy hunter XP, and it's been a real shooter since I ditched the scope and rings that came with it..I went with Talley one piece piece base/rings and a Redfield scope..And adjusted the Accutrigger down a little bit.

Back