7mm 150 gr E-Tip Report

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I tested some 7mm 150 gr E-Tip bullets in my 280 AI. The test consisted of shooting into 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water at 100 yds. Bullets were recovered sticking out the back side of jug #6. Average velocity was 2940 fps, with one load going 2976 fps. Recovered weight was 148.4 grs all three bullets and expanded diameter is 0.587".
Accuracy was just under 1 inch but I will work with the COL to fine tune.
7mm150grE-Tip.jpg

7mm150grE-TipRecoveredinJugs.jpg

7mm150grE-TipRecovered.jpg

JD338

Nice results jd338.
The retained weight is impressive. It looks like the weight loss was due to the missing tip.
Have you shot enough to see if copper fouling will be an issue?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the E-tip is guilding metal, not pure copper, so I can't imagine the fouling would be much different then with any other nosler bullet.

Nice test JD. That would be fun to repeat with my STW.

Good test, I can't wait to shoot some 180gr in my 300Wby. Thanks for the pictures and the effort.

JD how do you keep the jugs from blowing up and going everywear? everytime I shoot a milk jug it explodes all over the place.

Those are some pretty impressive results. Were they much slower than what your 280 AI normally pushes a 150Gr. ?

JD338 - nice!

Thanks for posting that. I like the milk jugs for testing bullets because any of us can duplicate the test easily, with whatever bullets at whatever velocity we want to try.

That E-Tip is impressive... Looks just like a Barnes ad without the copper fouled barrel! :grin: Okay - you've convinced me - I "need" to try some e-tips. Sheesh... Yet another bullet on the "to shoot" list! :grin:

Regards, Guy

bludog":s46ixk3w said:
JD, how long is this bullet compared to say a 160 gr AB?

The 160 gr AB is 1.409" and the 150 gr E-Tip is 1.427" long.

JD338

jmad_81":3jjiagjv said:
JD how do you keep the jugs from blowing up and going everywear? everytime I shoot a milk jug it explodes all over the place.

Those are some pretty impressive results. Were they much slower than what your 280 AI normally pushes a 150Gr. ?

The bullet was traveling from right to left in the picture, it totally destroyed the first 2 jugs and ruptured the remaining jugs before coming to rest on the back side of jug #6, I had already picked up the used jugs and set up new ones when I realized I had the camera in my truck so I took those pictures.

These are the first 150 gr bullets I have shot out of the 280 AI so I do not have a benchmark for velocity.

JD338

Nice job JD.

Now shoot them at 1800 fps loaded with unique at point blank! :lol:

I will be doing some accuracy testing soon from my 7mm rem mag savage beauty. :lol:

JD338

Have you done this test with the A/Bs (I'm sure you must have) how do they compare in expansion and penetration? As you can tell I'm having trouble giving up my A/Bs without a proven substitute but the handwriting is on the wall here in Kalifornia. :(
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Greg,

I am impressed with my initial findings of the E-Tip. I plan on testing at a lower velocity, something in the 1800-2000 fps range to see what the expansion is like for long range shots.
I'm sure that the E-Tip will be offered in 338 cal . I would think a 225 gr weight would be just about right.

JD338

You didn't say what powder you used. Did you load them using Nosler's mid-way load data as max per their recommendation?

Bob

I loaded with 59.5 grs RL 22. I will adjust the COL for the next accuracy test.

JD338

Bob in TX

Keep us posted on your range results.

JD338

Back