7mm - 160 Accubond all-around?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
For an all-around western hunting bullet - from a 7mm Rem mag - would the 160 AccuBond be your bullet of choice?

I like the performance of the long 175 Partition on elk, and it seems like it would be great for bear too. Accuracy however isn't as good as I get with the 160 SPBT from brand "S" bullets. Not bad mind you - and I'm not sure I really need the 175 for deer anyway.

Have absolutely zero experience with Nosler's AccuBond. Am looking for a load that I can use across the board, deer, elk, black bear - and thinking the 160 AccuBond at about 3000 fps just might be it.

Thoughts?

ABSOLUTELY! :wink:

This is what I use in my 7RUM from antelope to elk. No reason for me to swap loads.

Guy,

Look no further than the 160 gr AB!
I am using the same bullet in my 280 AI for everything.
I will be using this bullet on Wyoming Antelope next year.

JD338

I've used the 160AB out of my 7mm rem mag to harvest Whitetails, Mulie's, Elk and Moose. I will be again using it this season for elk, deer and possibly black bear if the right one shows himself.

Hey, I just shot the 160g AB into wet newspaper. It penetrated about 13" at 100 yards, which is about 3-4" more then those other bullets did. It held 108g which is good for 67%. I'll get a pic soon. My batteries died on me, dang it. Anyways, I only shot one load, 64g RL-22. It shot about 1.5" at 100 yards. Velocity for 3 shtos was 3081, 3070,3071. Think I"ll back it down to 62-63 and hopefully it will tighten up. I only had 4 empty cases to work with. I think the 160g AB at 3000fps will do anything an elk/deer hunter could ask for. IT will still deliver enough energy out to 800 yards for both. If you can shoot farther then that, by all means get something bigger. IF you cant, theres nothing wrong with a 7 mag and a 160g bullet with a pretty high BC and thats accurate as well.

Rem:

Thanx for the update. Good stuff! :wink:

Here are some 7mm 160 gr AB's shot from my 280AI at 3000 fps MV that were recovered from water jugs at 100 yds.
Excellent performance for the 160 gr AB.
280AI160grABrecovered.jpg

JD338[/img]

My Remington 700 BDL 7mm rem mag Absolutely loves the 160 Accu Bonds. I have only used it for whitetails so far. But it has performed well. Here is a typical 3 shot group @ 100 yards with this rifle. 64 gr RL 22.

e0224586.jpg

Looks almost identicle to what the 110's are shooting out of my 25. The only time they get spread out is when I pull a shot.

Very nice group dude. About 3000 fps I guess?

BTW JD water is a very very tough test. I just do not get it man.
How can your AB look like that and others claim that they fail on Texas whitetails?

POP":uj2xm67t said:
BTW JD water is a very very tough test. I just do not get it man.
How can your AB look like that and others claim that they fail on Texas whitetails?

Pop,

I don't understand nor do I believe all the "accubomb" storys.
Accubonds work very well! I have some 200 gr AB's that were
shot from my 338 RUM that were recovered from water at 100
and 300 yds. Perfect mushrooms, every one of them. :wink:

As I have said before, most "failures" are operator error by using
the wrong bullet for the application or piss poor shooting.

Accubonds Rock!

JD338

O.k. you guys got me, I went to town this morning and picked up a box of 160 accubonds. I loaded up some 7mm Rem Mag with 64 gr of Re-22 and shot across my chrono behind the house this afternoon and got around 3000 fps. 66 got me to 3050 fps. I'm gonna give this load a wring out at the range on monday.

Bruce Mc":1sfw9220 said:
O.k. you guys got me, I went to town this morning and picked up a box of 160 accubonds. I loaded up some 7mm Rem Mag with 64 gr of Re-22 and shot across my chrono behind the house this afternoon and got around 3000 fps. 66 got me to 3050 fps. I'm gonna give this load a wring out at the range on monday.

Perfect!
You won't be disappointed. :wink:

JD338

My best groups are coming with the lower charge of RL-22. Noslers manual is pretty spot on according to there accuracy load. 61g is shooting great, but velocity is on the low side at 2875fps. Each grain I went up, accuracy got noticably worse. Just could be my lot of RL-22. I went up to 64g and was getting 3075fps, but 2 inch groups. I had some Retumbo laying around and loaded some up with 160g AB's and 162g AMAX. Hopefully I'll still get .5 moa accuracy, but bump up velocity to 3000fps or so. 2875 is just a little to slow for me.

I got the bullets and loaded up some with Re-22. The results weren't what I wanted so I switchd to H-1000. Got a really good load right off the bat. 73.0 gr H-1000 clocked over the chrono at 3099 fps average with a 5.2 Std.Dev. The load grouped sub 1/2 moa. The one box of bullets was a little pricey at the local gun shop so I ordered a bunch of blems from the proshop so I can work this load out some more.

By the way, I fired a couple of rounds with Re22 over my chrono at home last week. The velocity was around 3050 fps. Yesterday morning the weather had changed and was about 20 degrees cooler. It only chronoed at 2960 fps. I went back to the table and loaded up the H-1000 and went back out after lunch. The load shot really good at 72 grs and wasn't showing any pressure signs. So I raised it up to 73 and went out this morning. It shot just as great and the velocity was tremendous. I'll have to work this load out over some time and see if it can hold up under some hot conditions.

I think I'm gonna have to continue to work on the 160g AB load. Initial testing was that 61g rl-22 shot a .3" group at 100 yards. Havne't been able to come close to that since. Next day out it shot a 1.5" group, and today it put 2 in the same hole, with a 1" flyer, so I dont know.... The AMAX"s are continuing to shoot .5" or under every time with the same load at 61g Rl-22. I loaded up a couple rounds with Retumbo and 160g AB since I have it onhand, and will be shooting them tomorrow. If Retumbo is to slow, then I think H1000 will have to be in order.

Have spent the last week working up load for the opening of Elk season in Central Oregon. Tried Rl-22 and H-1000. On Sat., 10-21 shot a three shot group that measured .156" When I figure our how to post picture it will appear here. R-P brass, Fed. 215 mag., 72.5 grains H-1000. Rifle is a Browning Medallion scoped with a 3X9 Leupold. 30 degrees, no wind. Shot at the Redmond Rod and Gun Club.

Back