7mm 160 gr. BT

I fired a 7mm 160 into a large block of green maple wood, impact velocity was 3520 fps, penetrated 13", expanded to .658, retained 64% of its original weight.
That's a torture test on any bullet.
Your Allen Mag generates some speed!

JD338

I have had several 160gr ABs out of the 7MM STW @ 3222 fps expand over twice the original diameter and retain over 90% of their original weight on elk at various distance that were recovered under the hide of the offside shoulder. Works great! And they also produce 1" groups at 300 yards out of my rifle. Great confidence booster!

I’d have to think the AB would be better on elk than a BT.
Just in case the angle is a little off……but as always placement is key

I did take a big mature cow elk with a 160 BT, she was 375 yards, it went straight through one shoulder and exited the off side. I’d have zero hesitation in putting one through a bull elk. A great bullet.

I fired a 7mm 160 into a large block of green maple wood, impact velocity was 3520 fps, penetrated 13", expanded to .658, retained 64% of its original weight.
And with that velocity, if the bullet still withstood that kind of testing medium and survived (weight retention) I would tend to believe that there isn't too many animals that it won't perform on, even if heavy, mud-caked hide and dense bone are encountered!

I did take a big mature cow elk with a 160 BT, she was 375 yards, it went straight through one shoulder and exited the off side. I’d have zero hesitation in putting one through a bull elk. A great bullet.
Distance, bone and complete penetration; Yep, that'll do!

Back