7mm-378 Wby?

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I was surprised to hear this and I wouldn't have any interest myself but I bet there's a few of you that would get one if they do it. Will be a flatliner that's for sure. Not sure how long a barrel would last though. I would have thought a 7mm-300 would have been more likely.

Awesome round and performance.
I hope Weatherby introduces the 7-378 Bee.

JD338

They will probably do it someday. Before I hung a new barrel on my 30-378 I was ready to do the 7mm-378. I made up some dummy rounds , but the release of the 245gr Berger and 250gr Hornady made more sense to me to keep it a 30-378. As mentioned a longer than 26” barrel would be needed to burn that large powder column. I agree a 7mm-300 would be more practical.

In my youth I met a gunsmith who worked at Charlie’s Sporting Goods in Albuquerque. He had built a 7mm-378 Weatherby back in the day on a Mark V action and really seemed to like it. We talked a bit, as I had a 7mm Firebird (Lazzeroni cartridge) built by Roy Bedeaux that was fairly similar. RL 25 was the new kid on the block and I was giving it a go.
V/R,
Joe

In my youth I met a gunsmith who worked at Charlie’s Sporting Goods in Albuquerque. He had built a 7mm-378 Weatherby back in the day on a Mark V action and really seemed to like it. We talked a bit, as I had a 7mm Firebird (Lazzeroni cartridge) built by Roy Bedeaux that was fairly similar. RL 25 was the new kid on the block and I was giving it a go.
V/R,
Joe
Boy, you'd want some slooooooow stuff to feed it huh? Honestly, it isn't all too much bigger than a 7 RUM. I'd have to look up capacity but it ain't too far off.

I take that back. Nosler lists 120.8 for the 30-378 Wby with a 200 and 102.8 for the 300 RUM with a 200... Nearly 20 grains of capacity.. Sheesh.. Yeah, might be a bit too much. The 7-300 Wby sounds like the way to go if they were wanting something good. Still, pretty hard in todays world to keep belts and such with really long cartridges with the long bullets most wanna shoot today..

Now that Weatherby does their ammo in house , I’m wandering who’s brass they’re using for the 378 case cartridges.
I read somewhere they use a lot of Peterson , per the internet. Peterson does offer 257-340 Wby brass.

Way too overbore for me. I absolutely love all things 7mm mag, but I wouldn't even bother with it honestly. They can be quite finicky to load for and get consistent accuracy and barrel life on something like that is not going to be good at all. 7 RUM I had in a Sendero was super picky and inconsistent as it was. It went down the road to someone who was perfectly fine with a 160g AB at 3300fps and consistent 1 MOA.

I'll keep my 7-300 Win Mag any day of the week. It offers pretty much the best balance of power and efficiency in a 7mm mag at the end of the day...180g ELDMs at 3100fps while only burning 74g of H1000. The belt doesnt bother me any either, 1/4-1/2 MOA proves it doesn't matter as much as everyone thinks it does these days. The 300 Win Mag Nosler brass has been fired 9x now and pockets are still tight as the first firing. It'll take something very special to ever get me away from it that's for certain. It's an absolute hammer as it is and I don't ever have the worry of it not shooting over 1/2 MOA anyday of the week out to 1K.

Now that Weatherby does their ammo in house , I’m wandering who’s brass they’re using for the 378 case cartridges.
I read somewhere they use a lot of Peterson , per the internet. Peterson does offer 257-340 Wby brass.
Makes sense, I wondered why Petersen was offering Weatherby brass. With the 240 and 378 based cases I wonder if Norma still makes it for them.

Makes sense, I wondered why Petersen was offering Weatherby brass. With the 240 and 378 based cases I wonder if Norma still makes it for them.
I don't believe Norma makes 240 brass anymore. That was one of the main reasons I rebarreled my 240 to a 6 Creed. Brass was just non existent for the last 3 years and I wasn't about to buy factory weatherby ammo just for the brass.

I would be happy if Peterson would just offer 378 basic brass , like the standard belted magnum brass they offer.

Back