7mm Mashburn Super Magnum

That looks to have been a very successful day. The H1000 is performing well for you with either bullet. You should be able to tighten up the accuracy without any trouble. Good stuff.

Thanks Mike. That was exactly what I didn't want to happen as I don't have alot of H1000, but I think I should be able to scrounge up a few lbs for this rifle. I plan on shooting it some, but once the load is done, a lb will give me alot of shooting with it..

Yeah, a pound would give you ninety or so rounds. Ninety rounds, when we're confident, is a good amount of ammunition.

Wow Scotty lookin good man; 160s @ 3200 is whisked for any big game on this continent! Use up those 90 rounds in <20 yrs and that'll amount to a couple decades living high on the hog meat-wise!

efw":2zmoaow9 said:
Wow Scotty lookin good man; 160s @ 3200 is whisked for any big game on this continent! Use up those 90 rounds in <20 yrs and that'll amount to a couple decades living high on the hog meat-wise!

At which time, H1000 should be available again. :grin:

I have 75, 75.5 and 76 loaded at 3.550" so at my next chance, I'll be running them again! Hopefully, I can find some H1000...

Might have to hold up a sign under the bridge "will work for H1000" if this works... :lol:

SJB358":hj9o8waa said:
Might have to hold up a sign under the bridge "will work for H1000" if this works... :lol:

Let me know if that works. I may have to try it.

DrMike":3jnyt86g said:
SJB358":3jnyt86g said:

Let me know if that works. I may have to try it.

Rgr that Doc! :grin:

pre6422hornet":13a1a4ch said:
Heck I would " work for range time" right about now.

4 months in between powder burns does not make Pat happy.

I know man.. I was hurting pretty bad. This project happened at a good time..

That's good speed for a 24" barrel. Using thinner brass then RWS will definitely yield better velocities. I'm sure the new 28 Nosler's 3300fps is in a 26" so what your getting in a 24" is pretty good for the powder burned. With reloads I'm sure the 28 Nosler would yield 3350+ but in a 26" barrel you'd get 3250ish. 100fps doesn't amount to much of a difference in the real world (50 yards of difference in impact speeds basically).

That's my thoughts as well. Plus it'll have less blast and be a little nicer to carry up high.

Okay, so I knew from last time out I wanted to shorten my rounds up about .010" since I was getting the 2 in and 1 out. I also split my load with 75, 75.5 and 76 and here is what I ended up with..

Averaged out to 3210 today over the chrono. So, I am happy. I am sure I could monkey with it, but honestly I am very happy with it. I met my goals with it. 3200 with a 160.

I know there is more speed to be had, if I dropped down to a Retumbo or RL33, but I am good with the consistency I am getting with H1000.

Also, I have a sweet shooting deer load with the 140 AB and IMR4350 at 3200. I figure the 280 Ackley guys are on to something there. The nice thing is it is really easy shooting load in the MSM.

I figure I can monkey with it as time permits, now that I have the main load out of the way.

So, all in all, not counting the fireforming loads, it took 12 rounds to find my powder charge, then 9 rounds today to find the seating depth.. Pretty happy with it.

Cartridge was very mild mannered across the board. Case forming is nothing more than I do with new brass anyhow, so turning 300 Win Mag cases into Mashburn cases was too easy.

Speed came pretty easily without feeling like I was standing on it. The cases all have three firings on them and they seem tight. Even the couple I ran up to 77 grains that were hot stayed tight, so the Hornady brass is holding up well.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Great shooting and excellent load, Scotty! (y)

Back